Author Topic: YTL tug build  (Read 20146 times)

PHILNZ

• Nelson sunshine capital of NEW ZEALAND
YTL tug build
« on: September 21, 2012, 23:18:33 »
Hi out there. Having finally recieved my YTL hull from Microglass ( awesome Hulls and recomend) the hull was very different compared to the YTL tugs built in New Zealand. so there was a handy superstructure plan that came with the Hull so i built the northern YTL tug. having never attempted a fine detail build before i did encounter my share of brain teasers ( google is the best tool )  . i have attempted lights to which is a new experience , and in turn that deserved quite a few encouraging words coming out of the Man Cave if you know what i mean.
So here is the build so far near complete to the level that i am taking it. touch ups , decals, and float test to go . back to work tomorrow so that can wait for 4 days until off again .

Phil

PHILNZ

Re: YTL tug build
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 23:20:29 »
more

PHILNZ

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 23:23:08 »
now that was interesting bending and glueing

PHILNZ

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 23:25:38 »
more

PHILNZ

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 23:28:02 »
sorry i lost the deck pics

PHILNZ

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 23:30:46 »
more

PHILNZ

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 23:35:27 »
I purchase detail fittings from Cornwall models in the UK . cheaper than NZ and arrives within 5 days. pretty good for half way around the world.

PHILNZ

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 23:39:54 »
last 2. i still will build YTL 625 .i will do some more investigations into the hull required or plans of.
Thanks for veiwing .

Phil

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 00:08:12 »
  PHILNZ ; Could you explain the mast lights to me as I am not familiar with them ? PUFFIN

PHILNZ

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 01:53:24 »
Hi PUFFIN. um no real order to them in colours. truth is that they were going tobe all white however there was a short inside the brass tube and kinda burnt them out so used what i had left  ???  i ran each light wire down the tube and into the wheel house . the other wire on each light was soldered to the mast so in turn the mast tube acts as the other wire for the circut , i done that as it was to hard to run 6 wires down a 4mm internal diamenter tube.there is a wire soldered to the base of the mast to power source, does this help . i am a beginner at this level of constuction.
If it looks good sail it if not let it sink tryin LOL.

Phil

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 10:00:09 »
HI philnz ; If it is a tug they should be white with a arc of visibility of 235 degrees from dead ahead to 22 1/2  degrees abaft  of the beam .  HOPE that helped you out .   PUFFIN

PHILNZ

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 12:53:56 »
Thank you for the advise , never really thought of those parts of it , i did know that mast lights are white but never knew the arc of them.AS explained earlier i use what i had left and the light covers  I just went with what parts i could get.

thank you Phil

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 17:07:49 »
If your tow is more than 150 meter you must exhibit three white mast lights , if you have log or a group of logs three white mast lights . Other tows under 150 meters 2 white mast lights . By day a black diamond shape .  PUFFIN

PHILNZ

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 23:00:38 »
Cool thank you very much. i will write this info down for future ref. as i might as well do the builds right . it never crossed my mind to research these facts

Phil

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 13:19:05 »
Phil.
Your model hull is certainly different from the YTL in Picton.

You might just have to do a bit of in house design. The superstructure of the model does not exhibit that characteristic American Tug shape, which is quite unique.

I was up at Picton on Saturday but only spent 4 hours there before returning home. I had a starter motor problem so it curtained my boating. Not good to travel 1000km just to make a visit.  That is boating I guess.

Happy boating.

Hayden
VANYA