Author Topic: YTL tug build  (Read 20145 times)

PHILNZ

• Nelson sunshine capital of NEW ZEALAND
Re: YTL tug build
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 17:32:54 »
havent worked out how to delete a posted pic so some repeats  sorry

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 17:58:24 »
Phil.

You are lucky to have a YTL on your doorstep. Make the most of it while you can.

The Dunedin based vessel is in a sorry state.  I am also quite interested in the other vessel moored beside her. I saw a photo of her being launched and it would make also a good model ( for you maybe??)

Your model looks good I must say.

I know there is one static model at the Devenport Naval Dock in Auckland so maybe yours in #2.

Hayden
VANYA

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 20:48:43 »
What a stroke of luck with the plans. Hang on to them I'm sure someone will want to try a build after seeing  how yours turned out.
Is the colour scheme you used as the RNZN would have been?
Steve

PHILNZ

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 22:29:16 »
Thank you Hayden , that one next to the Arataki in Dunedin i havent found any other photos of her as i have looked . and in my looking travels i did find a picture of two tow boats being launched in the Auckland ship yards in 1943, totally built with Kauri. so i am trying to track down more of them. Maybe devenport naval docks may know more.
I was so stoked that out of the blue the plans turned up , shame it wasnt before i started. They show that the James Obrien  and Manawanui are not to original plans on the docking deck and tow hook area. I always remembered the James Obriens being more aft rather than midship of rear cabins . And again Thank you Hayden as i wouldnt of persisted with it if you hadnt suggested knocking around with my own plank on frame as i have never attempted that style before.

Hi sea monkey Thank you and yes i got a couple of copies done before i sent the originals back. The colours have been done to the Manawanui which served in the NZ Navy as a dive tender until being laid up at Paeroa maritime musem until she was scrapped 3-4 years ago, She was scrapped because her screw shaft started leaking oil into the eastury she was moored in and they didnt want to spend to repair her (or so i believe )  i believe Her engine is set up as a working display up north somewhere. And hey its a NZ boat and we dont have many of the old school tugs that we can say look awesum especially when you think NZ has only been colonised for nearly 200 years

Phil

Attached photo of the 1943 built towboats
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 22:47:13 by PHILNZ »

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 23:38:17 »
Phil,

I will try to find the photo of the launching of the White Tug. I think it is called the Hikurangi. There are a couple like her.

Unfortunately the Oceania Shipping Forum has announced it has closed down and there were quite a number of photos there of the James Obrien and other NZ vessels.

I will try to do some research.

It is good that you are interested in NZ tugs, especially as so many were constructed of kauri, and some still exist in varying form. There is also the Rakanui that was operated by the Otago Harbour Board. Many are for sale and in Auckland as you know tugs were employed to to barges of stone and minerals etc.

My favourites are the two Timaru tugs Aorangi and Titian  so that will be my contribution to modelling New Zealand maritime history.

Great that you got the plans to loan for the YTL.

I was just saying to a member of another forum that i have got remnents of the yard drawings for the 1880's paddle tug Titan and I feel so lucky I have even thought it cost a pretty penny from Greenwich Maritime Museum. You just got to get them when you can.

Sounds like we have to organise a Model Tug Forum Regatta some time.

VANYA
VANYA

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
YTL tug build
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 11:36:57 »
Hi. I'm new to the discussion and a keen tug enthusiast.
I started building a model of Arataki  1/2" to the foot in brass a long time ago. It haunts me on the bench and I must get going again. I got plans from the RNZN -hull lines and GA and had been out on her a few times and took pictures. James O'Brien (ex Kawateri) is being slipped at Carey's yard in Picton probably Sunday 18 November 2012 and should be there until December 7. So if you want to see the hull, there you are. They were to be built to plans supplied (I think ex Australia ex USA but had stability problems and they were modified in Auckland.

Manawanui's engine is in West Auckland and we had a ceremonial run up for the Auckland Sream Engine Society. Made a mockery of Paeroa Museum saying the engine was shot. They just panicked -some of us would have taken her on.

Yes that is Hikurangi in Port Chalmers. The owner bought her and Arataki at auction. The scrapping of Arataki is supposed to fund work on Hikurangi. Hikurangi was built by Miller and Tunnage who also built the J R Harland who was 10' longer. The latter is now called Albatross V and was down in Port Chalmers last time I heard. saw them both being built. All that Kauri!!!

I have some interesting pics of tugs and will post as appropriate.
Cheers
Russell

PHILNZ

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 11:54:09 »
 ^-^  Welcome to the forum Russell . where are you based ?  It is pleasing to see another keen on the NZ YTL  and building in brass now that will be impressive when complete .

Regards Phil

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 12:15:14 »
Philnz.

More luck.

Take a lot of photos if you can, it is a good archive for you or the future.

I might go up for a look too when i visit my boat. I guess she will be on Carey's slipway.

Russell.

Are there any drawings for the Hikurangi??  Is it correct Millers lost a lot of stuff in a fire way back?? Some of NZ's best known vessels were built there including some pilot vessels.

Blue Boats operated a fleet of Kauri tugs too i think.

Thanks for the information.

Hayden

( Timaru)
VANYA

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 16:08:03 »
We need to start another thread on tugs designed by Athol Burns (Hikurangi and J R Harland were his designs). Athol's niece has his remaining plans but is staunch about safeguarding his work. I can put you in touch sometime if you want. Fullers (late Harry Julian) owned Hikurangi -she was every man's idea of what a tug should be like with a huge Lister Blackstone engine. Sort of a parody of all that we love. I think she was 50' and JRH was 60'. Moving steel barges was really tough on her. Miller and Tunnage's fire did wipe out a lot of their history. Those two tugs were built for Napier and Gisbourne so someone there may have something.
Funnily enough there was a trawler at Bayswater (I'm in Auckland) that looked familiar. Her hull was originally a 75'  Australian built YTL -our workboat group were delighted with the find as were our Oz counterparts. I have pictures.
If you are in Picton, introduce yourself to Jeorg -he is very enthusiastic. He might give you a chipping hammer, brush or spanner to use if you are lucky. Yes take lots of pictures!
If you ever get a chance to hear or see an Atlas Imperial engine running, take it. You will never forget it. Just like a real engine all exposed pushrods. Common rail injection -just like the Japanese invented recently. Atlas diesels had it in 1918. There are a few entries on www.oldmarineengine.com.
BTW the MV Tuhoe has two smaller Atlas engines of the kind that were fitted to the smaller wooden tugs we built for the USA -were mentioned earlier. Matiu is one and was in Bluff last time I heard. Used to be based at Soames Island for MAF.
I have a website www.tugboats,co.nz which has a lot of pictures of a lot of local NZ workboats and tugs. There is something wrong with the hover buttons on the index page which I will fix shortly.
Cheers all!

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 17:11:23 »
Hello Russell.

Thank you for all this maritime information again.

I have the drawings for thew A & G Price built Aorangi ( Arataki # 2) which is now in Aussie which was here in Timaru. Just love her for some reason. I remember her engine gurgling away and the his of the pneumatic clutch was she went from forward to astern.

Is it possible on your tugboatsnz site to allow us to post model photos of the NZ tugs someplace. We have a model of the Karetai from Dunedin and i know there are a few other models about or under construction.

Do tugs and workboats/pilot vessels come under your banner? I know that here in Timaru Robbs built a few workboats and pilot vessels which still exist under varing guises on the coast and it would be good to keep a track of them. The Oceania Shipping forum was a good collection but now it has gone and most of the posted photos too unfortunately. I know of the Otoaroa and Strathallan up picton way and the Wairangi is owned by a friend now in Picton.

Regards

Hayden Brown
VANYA

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 18:02:46 »
Hi Hayden. Now I'll really have to extract digit and get that website fully functional again! Yep, it is tugs, trawlers, pilots workboats -the unsung heroes.
It is just my content and pictures I have been given, because I didn't want to have to moderate it so I didn't set it up to accept uploads. I owned a local tug Glynbird -built in Picton 1909) for a long time (just sold her last year) and that was my impetus for setting the site up to commemorate some fine old/lost or ex workboats on the NZ coast.
Yep I last saw Otoroa in Wellington She is a fine boat and, happily, unchanged from her workboat profile, unlike her predecessor Koputai who was substantially changed and (I reckon) spoiled. Don;t start me on people putting sheds on nuce old hulls and changing their original engines. Russell.

PHILNZ

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2012, 18:16:05 »
This is so cool to be hearing some historic info regarding old NZ tugs. Russell you are so right about hearing and seeing the Atlas in action . I lived in Westport for 12 Years and always loved hearing the James Obrien at work sounding the bar. I have also been lucky enough to have had a couple of trips over the Bar on sea rescues. James Obrien went from westport to Auckland and was converted to a trawler for a short period and was the centre of a fisheries investigation and i believe impounded then laid up until her journey to Picton.
You mention the Matiu, I have just started looking at her and the koroki as my next build. to date have only found  a couple of very small pics of stern and port , one i posted earlier in this thread.  And further idea for plans and pics would be appreciated.

Phil

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2012, 18:36:17 »
The Koroki or the Koraki?
I have plans for the Koraki (Seatow 20) and the slightly larger Seatow 22. Got them from Marine Steel in Whangarei about 18 years ago. Also have the Te Matua and Kupe/Toia/Ngahoe.
Maybe we should start an archive?

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2012, 18:53:25 »
Sea Monkey.

Remember I have the SeaTow 80 nearly complete at 1.5m so I will have to bring that to Wellington as well. Might have to rent one of those White Transit vans like the english do at this rate.

If I pull my finger out I might get the Seatow 25 built by late 2013.

There is a fine model of the X  Otago tug " Otago" also at my local club.

If we start on trawlers then it really opens a can of worms. I am happy with "Harbour Craft , Tow Boats, Dredges, Pilots Vessels. Luckily most of the traditional ones are wood and can be strip and planked.

I have some good photos of the Otoroa nessled up in Double Cove. Will send them through via P.M if you like.
I found the launch photo of the Hikurangi going down the slip. It came from the Eastland Port Co website.

Hayden
VANYA

PHILNZ

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2012, 21:15:58 »
Hi Sea monkey .
The tow boat i am refering to is the Koroki or the Matui . these are towboats built in Auckland in 1943 and are timber built for the US navy War effort. If you have info or plans for them i would be keen.

Phil
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 21:21:08 by PHILNZ »