Author Topic: YTL tug build  (Read 20120 times)

PHILNZ

• Nelson sunshine capital of NEW ZEALAND
Re: YTL tug build
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2012, 13:51:27 »
OMG what have they done to her  ???  But yes she definatly looks like another one afloat even thou she dosent look original.

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2012, 16:09:31 »
Stuffed the wheelhouse up a bit. She was Australian built but never in war service -hence no ID numbers. Bought by the Dept of Munitions in '47 and and then by the Victorian State Government Public Works Dept and named "Fury" which she still is called. Sold by them in '77.
Has sunk a couple of times -2002 and 2011 in floods and was to have been made into a trawler but presently a pleasure boat. Onwards and downwards fair maiden!

PHILNZ

« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2012, 18:37:30 »
Ah Then we can not call her a true YTL as she has not been branded on her Bow LOL.  It looks as thou she was built very different to the New Zealand built vessels as rear deck bullworks dont seem the same or it may be just the angle of photo. Not many vessels can boast being sunk twice and still alive to tell the tale .

Phil

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2012, 00:54:19 »
My mate in Australia sent me some more pictures of the "Fury" when she was well cared for and in her prime. She has a longer wheelhouse than the NZ ones. Wonder if that was done after the Commissioners bought her . The last picture is of her replacement tug. Now she's not so bad either. BTW the "Arataki" is now a bare hull awaiting the unkindest cuts of all. Now there is just one here.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 10:20:11 by russellward »

PHILNZ

« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2012, 01:43:55 »
yes the wheelhouse looks as thou its been extended right back to the stack, the bullworks on the bow look original and are different to NZ ones ,
Thank you for that Russell you truely are a great resource .

Phil

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2013, 01:24:19 »
I have a sad picture of her sunk in the big flood. I will try to find it. Australia is getting another sousing with Cyclone Oswald. Poor guys takng it bad just now.

Rmay

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2013, 06:14:31 »
I built a YTL several years ago - 1/12 scale (monster)! It was fun to runaround in the lakes and ponds but a pain to launch. I donated it to the Lake Pontchartrain Basin Maritime Museum in Madisonville Louisiana. 

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2013, 15:27:03 »
THAT IS ONE NEAT LITTLE TUG , THE OLD WORK HORSE OF A HARBOR . A great job  on the details as well .  PUFFIN

PHILNZ

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2013, 00:56:36 »
Thats a wee beauty . i have along way to go on my detail abilitys.  @Rmay did you look at the southern hemisphere built YTL in this posting.

Phil

Rmay

« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2013, 07:48:07 »
Yep, saw it enjoyed it! One of the many reasons I come to this forum - great tug builds!