Author Topic: Half model  (Read 4247 times)

-Martin-

Half model
« on: November 19, 2012, 10:22:51 »
Hi all,

I have just completed this half model as a gift for my father's sixtieth birthday. It is a former local tug which he sailed on for many years.

I hope you like it.

Brgds

Martin

-Martin-

Re: Half model
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 10:26:19 »

-Martin-

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 10:27:45 »

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 10:38:40 »
Nice job. I'm sure he will like it. I sure would.

cool
VGJQ

-Martin-

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 11:48:22 »
Nice job. I'm sure he will like it. I sure would.

cool

Thank you very much, I hope he will too! :-)

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 13:34:01 »
Half models are really lovely things to make and to have. Especially easy to stow and display!
I don't know why we don't make more of them. They must be half the effort if you think about it. I had one in my old study and it had so much grace -it was about eye height and really caught the eye.
You did well!

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 15:45:05 »
Very nice Martin.

Lovely work.

What are the planking materials??

Do you epoxy the inside before working on the outside surface to firm up the planking??

Maybe the reason half models are not build is that all that effort goes into half the hull, it is then a pitty not to be able to sail the model by building the other half. To be honest I have a few too many full half models..... a port and starboard side but joined by a keel and not complete!!

Now where is that bandsaw??

VANYA
VANYA

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 19:27:36 »
I like that Vanya!
We could double our fleets just like that. And not have the problem of cleaning them up after use each time.

-Martin-

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 01:23:26 »
Very nice Martin.

Lovely work.

What are the planking materials??

Do you epoxy the inside before working on the outside surface to firm up the planking??

Maybe the reason half models are not build is that all that effort goes into half the hull, it is then a pitty not to be able to sail the model by building the other half. To be honest I have a few too many full half models..... a port and starboard side but joined by a keel and not complete!!

Now where is that bandsaw??

VANYA

Thank you Russell and Vanya! :)

I used 1,8 x 5 mm abachi planks (Yes, I might have over engineered it just a bit ;)), but with the amount of frames used, the hull has more than ample strength and no need for epoxy. Bulwarks and top are 1 mm ply and again with the amount of frames and curvature no need for epoxy for additional strengthening.

I think you are quite right, in the end you get more fun out of a full model :) For some reason half models always seem to be yachts or old sailing warships!?

Brgds

Martin

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 18:25:40 »
Yes Gerard, my words exactly.

I made metal art work for a few decades, Martin. Mostly for banks and corporation offices.
Different themes but locomotives and ships were the top wall sculpture art works ordered.
Before I retired, I built two riverboats, 36 Dutch merchants, four sailboats, and three tugs.
All were built as 3 dimensional, half hulls.

Half hulls, hands down, are the ultimate art work for a tugboat admirer. A half hull is right
on the wall. There is always a place for it. Seeing that most tugboat "Souled" persons are
into the golden years like myself, I like my tug handy and easy to dream on. . .right on the
wal in front of me, anytime I want. . .

Way to go Martin,
Michael in Anacortes, Washington
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

west coast tug

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 19:33:42 »
A fellow in the Seattle Washington Club has a half hull that floats , Or should I say a half a tug boat all details shown inside as well . He has a plexi glass wall on the cut away side . Tug is about 28" long has some special lead ballast to off set the displacement and a dummy rudder under to correct the steering problems .
Gary 

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 21:07:59 »
Not a half a wow, a Wow Gary. A floating half hull with a glass window to
the workings and all. . .I want one. I have thought up some interesting
designs but this is really a unique tugboat.

I was just talking about building a "metal" tugboat model, I'm a retired
welder, of atug that was complete on the deck, but open to the insides on
the starboard side. I see a very eye catching 3/4 tugboat. Making it with
windows would be extra, extra enjoying for all to see.

Thank you Martin, you have "stirred up" the world of "partial tugs" in the
art and appreciation world.

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com