Author Topic: Seaspan Champion build thread  (Read 18428 times)

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
Re: Seaspan Champion build thread
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2014, 01:18:19 »
Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering whether I would need to also build a crane for my Odin, not just the tug.  :D

Here's the Gruno V (formerly Clara, IMO 6907171). The Odin was modeled after her.

Stern sits quite high. Waterline near the stern is actually well "under the hull" just above the Kort nozzle pivot at least that's what Robbe's plans say.

tbone

« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2014, 06:13:09 »
Here are some pics including one of the rear waterline

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2014, 06:46:10 »
Thanks for those pics. On the Odin, the waterline is at the "plug" that protrudes from hull through which the Kort nozzle "shaft" goes. According to the Odin manual, that "plug" is above warterline (and hence is painted black).

That's a significant difference in draft.

Unrelated: what exactly are those white "strips" on the hull and kort nozzle ? What's their function/use ?

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2014, 10:42:57 »
Good pictures tbone cool

Have you run it?
"Suds"

west coast tug

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2014, 20:26:14 »
Calimero
The items you are puzzled about are called Zincs,Silver paint  that is .  Pot metal designed to corrode away like a fizzy , Being the weak link in the electrolysis battery current A boat  in the water draws and electrical current through out its metal structure . These are to be allowed to dissolve away instead of the hull or motor systems.
Old wooden boats had wires running from each metal part in a loop crossing the negative of the battery as well .
A boat in fresh water would use magnesium .
In salt water here if you don't have a proper system for this on your boat you can loose the drive leg in about 6 months 80% of the metals will just vanish . What appears to be a good part may only be held together by the paint , Put it in gear and it falls off, And yes I have seen this happen with a new boat $32K for the new drive that was new 6 months ago.
Gary 

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2014, 22:20:53 »
Excellent Gary. . .I have seen electrolysis destruction on ships. A 285 footer was in the dry-dock and somehow, there were no Zincs on the hull what ever. It had been out of the paint shop eight months, from somewhere. The entire hull had a "Pock Hole" the size of a walnut. . .every three feet or so. . .it totaled the ship!

Here is a picture of the Zincs on my tug. They are not real Calimero, but I wanted to take every opportunity to create a real tugboat look. The hull just looked like something was missing.

And, the models and pictures on this thread are terrific.   Michael

Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2014, 03:14:47 »
Quote from: west coast tug
Calimero
The items you are puzzled about are called Zincs,Silver paint  that is .  Pot metal designed to corrode away like a fizzy

I had read about those while wandering on Wikipedia some time ago but I didn't connect the dots here. Thanks guys !

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2014, 18:21:52 »
I just finished reading your post here, from its beginning, December of 2012. Clearly, you have built the "Seaspan Champion".

My heart soared as I read that you were able to find original plans to go from. My tugboat heart was stabbed through as it became clear that your launching, a most spiritual event in a tug builders life, had been robbed of the precious photos illustrating the "Seaspan Champion's" success.

Again though, as I experienced the fine looks of your last picture above, the beauty of your tugboat work was a pleasure to share.

Thank you Mike for this "'Seaspan Champion' Build Thread",
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com