Author Topic: Handsome Tugs  (Read 2755 times)

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
Handsome Tugs
« on: December 03, 2012, 18:58:57 »
I am just watching the movie Transporter 3 and at 1 hr 11 minutes into it, there is a clip of a port in a European city -I think Odessa- with a couple of fine scene setting pans over the harbour with shots of some damn fine looking tugs two harbour tugs and one real big handsome tug. I can't make out the name "Xlaphik" (???) -might be Cyrillic script and I can't pause it well enough to catch it. If there is a heaven, there are ships like that there! And they let us crawl all over them at will.
I tried to get a clip of the frame but couldn't.
Who ever she is, she is a real beauty. Anyone know?

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
Re: Handsome Tugs
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 23:56:28 »
Now that is a challenge for the forum members......Come on guys, we can't let a question go unanswered.. :-[ :-[
Barry

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 00:17:04 »
Never make it easy for the lads: It'll bore them!
BTW it is a very good movie. Usually a series of sequels gets worse. Not this time.

seegurke

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 07:53:47 »
Really hard to get a shot of them. Too fast movement of the camera in this scene.

But I tried (hopefully that are the tugs you meant). Perhaps someone can identify the tugs with these pics.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 07:55:36 by seegurke »
David

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 09:09:44 »
Well done, David. Yep you have captured the three tugs I was talking about. Hope you enjoyed the movie: I think it is a good ripping yarn!
However back to more important things. That big tug that steams past the camera is a proper handsome tug by any reckoning. Hope someone can id her and post some good views. I have to say that I think working boat design is getting a bit bizarre with these strange bow shapes. Ram bows may have been OK on battleships in the 1880s up to 1920, but they look weird to my traditional eyes.
I can't help thinking there are too many airplane designers or building architects out of work just now.

seegurke

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 13:02:13 »
Yes, great movie you are right!

I got the big one from the second image. It's the UDARNIK, built 1968 and yes, it's located in Odessa. Some really nice old tugboats there working together with some new ones (i.e. Damen ASD).
Check out this link: shipspotting.com.

The two tugs from the other picture are difficult. The one ahead may be the NOVATOR, year of build 1968.
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1299609

The last one... No idea.
David

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 19:31:42 »
Well done. Thanks for your help. How did you get the still from the video?

seegurke

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 23:55:16 »
I don't have the DVD so I searched for parts of the film on youtube. Then press the print button on your keyboard at the right moment.  ;)
But as said above the camera movement is so fast in this scene it's impossible to get a sharp picture (perhaps if you had a blueray).

And shipspotting's advanced search is a great tool for such questions. You can specify the country, the harbour and the type of ship. With Ukraine, tugs and maybe Odessa the number of results gets manageable.

Are you going to build a tug like that?
David

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 01:30:07 »
She certainly is a good looker. Her predecessor (a steamer) only lasted about 15 years so the latest incarnation is well into injury time. I'll have to work my way through the local NZ tug population before I go foreign. Nice thought. Wonder what machinery she has.

seegurke

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 02:31:30 »
Easy to find some good photos of her. Even an underwater shot:
http://photos3.marinetraffic.com/ais/showphoto.aspx?photoid=195356

Interesting to see that she never changed her name. Other vessels changed several times since 1968...

Sorry, no find regarding the machinery. Probably one big soviet made diesel.
David

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 11:05:07 »
Thanks for sharing that. Would be interesting to know the purpose for which she was originally built. Any pictures of the stern configuration?