Author Topic: Oceanic - about to become a yacht  (Read 5548 times)

cranton

• Site Supporter
Oceanic - about to become a yacht
« on: December 06, 2012, 09:40:20 »
So another super tug makes the transition to become a yacht.  Scroll down a bit on this page to see the article.  Nice picture of the props and rudders though.

http://www.charterworld.com/news/tag/explorer-yachts/page/3

I've always thought that the Bugsier tugs were some of the nicest looking designs around. 

Chris
Love ships, turn green on wet grass

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: Oceanic - about to become a yacht
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 10:29:39 »
Nice find. The Lone Ranger sure made a good looking yacht. Hope they do justice with the Oceanic. Sure is better than the breaker's yard.
VGJQ

seegurke

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 10:39:53 »
On the one hand that would be sad to see this beauty going away from the nice old workboat design, on the other hand it would be good that she won't be scrapped. But if I got it right that is just a design study and not a final decision, is it?

Nevertheless the design option #1 on the linked page is much nicer in my opinion because it keeps more of the characteristic long aft deck and the big funnel.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:43:17 by seegurke »
David

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 12:41:56 »
The Charterworld link has some examples that certainly show a partially likeness to other tugs or parts of other tugs, eg Smit Rotterdam superstructures.

I can see in the expedition yachts really need super tug attributes and it shows that even the old supertugs have an new lease on life, even at 50 years old.

It will be interesting if the Old x-Smit Singapore or Rotterdam dams ever make the grade in my lifetime, I hope so.

VANYA
VANYA

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 18:00:35 »
Ahhh a man of discernment! Should be the patron of a tug enthusiasts' society.
Oceanic came to Auckland a while back, I just drooled. Yep, I agree she has tug style. Let's hope she keeps it in the conversion.  We have regular visits from other big tugs that have been converted to pleasure too, I didn't commit their names to heart but someone will know.
I don't think a tug needs much conversion from workboat to pleasure boat at all. The pleasure is all on the bridge and in the engineroom.
I'll close before I start to rattle on excessively.

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 20:00:49 »
Russell,

It was the SuperTug Yacht Lone Ranger that was in Auckland last week.

She departed Auckland for Punta Arenas direct, going by what was stated on the AIS. Saw her heading out out of the Gulf.

There is also an ex-supply vessel that was in Auckland undergoing a refit some years back and I have photos of Suri up in the Sounds. SeaWolfe and Itasca are also conversions of former Smit vessels. I was in Mallorca beside Seawolfe and apparently it had many tens of tonnes of fairing filler on the hull to make her nice and sleek. Certainly looks a picture inside and out.

Another take on model tug (re) modelling.At least the supertug conversions have less fittings.

Certainly every tug boat design that makes a superyacht conversion is much more stylish than some true super/megayachts.. just look at Steve Jobs ( Apple ) floating whatever. Obviously ship design was not his strong point.

I will stay with the models thanks, bunkers are less.

VANYA
VANYA

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 20:26:28 »
"Itasca" was the one that we seem to see more often down here. Her hull finish was pretty stunning last time I was near her. Puts the skipper off any thoughts of heroic manoeuvring when coming alongside I guess. Tiny though alongside present tugs. Oceanic was here a while back and i got some pics of her. Yep she's in my category of "handsome tugs". I like Seegurke's post re the nice big funnels so much a feature of the tugs we like even though the exhausts went up sampson posts down aft. 
I think if you were a casualty and a tug like this hove in view you would be immediately relieved.

chipchase

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 12:33:55 »
I bought the book THE LONE RANGER STORY FROM SALVAGE TUG TO SUPER YACHT about two years ago fantastic read. I have been trying to get some good quality photos of this vessel to possibly build her, unfortunately close up photos of the Lone Ranger are very scarce and finding a hull to build her is even more so. If I could get my hands on some hull line drawings or even better find a supplier that makes this type of hull would be great. If anyone could help with either photos or a supplier that makes this hull it would be much appreciated 
I think she would be a fantastic model built to a scale of 1/48 this would make her 63.59ins long with a beam of 10.85ins or even better at 1/32 95.39ins with a beam of 16.28ins
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:48:19 by chipchase »
Brian

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 12:48:12 »
VGJQ

chipchase

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 12:53:43 »
 Great photos MTM thatís a good link, good shot of the windless.
Brian

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 16:45:50 »
Yep she is a real man's boat. Just the sort of ship to face Armageddon in/with.
The complexity of the systems is daunting no?
Just remember that fun is inversely proportional to the overall length. That is, we'll have a lot more fun with a 1:48 model. R & M is going to be easier to fund.
Vanya, sad I missed "Lone Ranger" -we moved out of town a few miles and don't cross the bridge as frequently as in past years.

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 17:44:46 »
Russell,

Just check Marine Traffic, lots of goddies appear ever so often.

VANYA
VANYA

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 17:59:16 »
WILCO

Volker

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 00:16:34 »
The OCEANIC got sold by Bugsier in July 2013 to Turkish interests and left Bremerhaven where she was laid up for more than two years. She got renamed OSMAN KHAN.

New Owner: Karpowership Co. Ltd.
Manager: ATA Romorkor Kurtarma Hizmetleri ve Dis. Tic. Ltd. Sti.

Karpowership Co. Ltd. is a subsidiary of Karendiz Holding a company speciallising in building and operating floating power plants.

ATA lists the QSMAN KHAN as Tug: http://www.atasalvage.com/index.php

From what I read on other forums the OSMAN KHAN will be used to tow the floating power plants for the time being. Later she might be converted into a yacht.
regards, Volker

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 08:27:49 »
....and a fine yacht she will be.
One of the best looking deepsea tugs ever; in my humble opinion ;) ;)
MIKE