Author Topic: Re: Sallie Jean  (Read 4275 times)

Kev30

Re: Sallie Jean
« on: January 06, 2013, 08:12:42 »
Well after spending much of the festive period with the flu/lurgie it was time to get out today, I went down to my local clubs water as I'm a member of the Shepton Mallet Drifters they have a club sail first Sunday in the month. I made a telephone call earlier in the week as usually you can take your cars in the park right up to the pondside but with all the rain we've had in the last 6 months restrictions have been enforced as not to turn the park into a ploughed field???

I was going to take my "Portgarth" model down with me but due to the fact she weighs close on to 38 lbs its not an idea model to shove under your arm and walk for about 500 yards.

Earlier last year my Dad was given a model paddle tug by a very good friend of his it needed a bit of TLC as the last time it was in the water was at Eastbourne  MPBC home water which is salt water and unfortunatley rust had got into some of the hull plates as its a tin-plate constructed boat.
The boat was constructed back in 1965 (YEAH DON'T LAUGH I KNOW ITS OLDER THAN ME) angry angry and the tug was built using the tug plan from the Harold Underhills books, and appart from the radio and the motor is all scratch built and has seen many hours on the water.
My Dad restored it last year and when I mentioned to him about taking a model down today he offered me the paddler to take down, which is a joy to carry compared to the "Portgarth".
I've attached a few pictures which may be of interest to members and remember when taking a digital camera with you to the lakeside make sure the batteries are charged in it as well as the radio and boat batteries!!!!!

Regards
Kevin
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 08:36:18 by Kev30 »

Kev30

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 09:00:43 »
I've tried 4 times now to forward some more pictures but all I get is error occurred.

Regards
Kevin

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:42:06 »
She is a credit to your Dad. A lovely model...
Barry

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 10:14:13 »
A very nice model indeed!
MIKE

Kev30

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 11:34:25 »
Here goes I'll try again to send these photo's?
I forgot to mention in my previous message that the paddle wheels are built so they feather and work superbly, before any members start thumbing through books and get on the internet looking for pictures of the full size pictures of the Sallie Jean my Dad's friend named her after his wife so you won't find any.

Regards

Kevin

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 12:01:47 »
She is a lovely old tug cool
john b

Kev30

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 12:12:49 »
Here's two more
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:15:00 by Kev30 »

chipchase

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 13:41:58 »
Nice model Kev, I notice the size of your photos are quite large for posting I try to get mine down to about 150 kb. I donít get any probs uploading at this size.
Brian

Kev30

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 14:15:20 »
Here's one I left behind thanks for the advice Brian, are you back sailing on your Tynemouth boating lake as there was a picture in one of the newspapers before Christmas showing Tynemouth cold and white!!!!

Regards

Kevin

chipchase

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 02:01:03 »
Yep still sailing Kev fortunately no ice yet   :)
Brian

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 07:00:49 »
What a beauty. Very nice work.
VGJQ