Author Topic: Do you know the Meaning ?  (Read 34547 times)

meechingman

• Tugs rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert's Website
Re: Do you know the Meaning ?
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2013, 01:38:43 »
OK, here are a couple, then.

Bitter End, the fixed (hopefully!!) end of the anchor chain in the chain locker.

Copper Bottomed. Our 'hearts of oak' ships of yore were sheathed in copper below the water line.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2013, 04:48:46 »
Chock-a-block:

When hauling on a block and tackle and the blocks come together.

Loose cannon:

Back in the "hearts of oak" days, again:

When a ship-o-the-line is pitching and rolling and a cannon breaks free from it's lashings and goes rolling about the deck causing damage and a threat to life and limb.

Taken aback:

Aboard a sailing vessel when the wind changes direction enough to oppose the set of the sails, the ship is taken aback.
VGJQ

donald.waller1

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2013, 07:00:17 »
Here's a couple from me,

HAND OVER FIST:- To pull rope's Quickly & Continuously ie:- as you pull on a rope your making a fist and the open hand crosses over the closed fist.

SHOT ACROSS THE BOWS :-

A shot across the bow's was done to any ship not flying it's national flag or colour's, it was a warning shot to any ship so that it's colour's and nationality could be ascertained according to the law of the sea.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 06:05:52 by donald.waller1 »

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2013, 07:26:54 »
Donald must be pulling on the bell "rope".
VGJQ

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2013, 08:40:28 »
On with the good behaviour. Good on yer Don!

Shiver my timbers: I was always led to believe it was when the ship shook when hitting a hefty sea. Can be alarming at times especailly if on is uncertain as to how well the timbers of the ship are held together.
One can also shiver the headsails by luffing up.
Now a quick check, shiver in some parts of the Engrish speaking world can mean "splinter" so go figure
Anyone got a memory of what Bitts came from?
Yrs aye.

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2013, 08:42:20 »
OK, here are a couple, then.

Bitter End, the fixed (hopefully!!) end of the anchor chain in the chain locker.

Copper Bottomed. Our 'hearts of oak' ships of yore were sheathed in copper below the water line.
I had a faint feeling that "copper bottomed" also meant that the ship (or whatever) was a cut above the usual run of the mill ship.

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2013, 08:57:03 »
On yer beam ends: refers to the ship being pushed over on her side -strong wind too much canvas.
literally you are in a spot of bother and not going anywhere good in a hurry. The deck beams end at the ship's side and you are on them. You are definitely <stowed high in transit> out of luck. Hard  up.

Broad beamed. Had several girlfriends that were a bit over engineered in the backside but preferred the  skinny ones that didn't take up to much room in the focsle.
Ahem, sorry crewmates, there I go again.
Means the ship has a good wide beam. Again the deck beams are long I guess.

Slush fund: Came upon this one a phew days ago. The meat in casks had a lot of fat on the top to preserve it and the grease was collected by some notable on board (the cook?) and flogged off in port; proceeds being added to the ship's "slush fund "which was used to buy little extras.
Now used more by politicians and bankers who have a cache of dosh that they have accumulated in their tradings that they can use when the <stowed high in transit> hits the fan. Or even before that eventality maybe.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 09:10:20 by russellward »

donald.waller1

« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2013, 09:33:29 »
 :) :)
Devil & Deep Blue Sea:- The Devil was the longest seam in a ship running from stem to stern, if the seam had to be re sealed at sea a sailor was hung over the side in a postion that was between THE DEVIL and THE SEA.

Slush Fund:- Slush was saved by the ship's cook and eventually sold.

Turn a Blind Eye:- Nelson put a telescope to his blind eye delberatley at the battle of Copenhagen so as not to see a signalled order sent by the admiral of the fleet.

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2013, 09:43:50 »
Broad beamed. Had several girlfriends that were a bit over engineered in the backside but preferred the  skinny ones that didn't take up to much room in the focsle.

Actually, this refers to a wide transom. A woman possessing one can cause trim problems while aboard.
VGJQ

donald.waller1

« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2013, 10:12:31 »
 angry angry angry angry angry

Model Tug Man should get a YELLOW CARD for being sexist, I was thinking that about my wife when she bend's over, but I did not put it.? lol

angel angel angel angel angel

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2013, 11:32:32 »
Go ahead, throw me under the bus. Won't be my first time there.

:P
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 05:13:43 by Model Tug Man »
VGJQ

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2013, 21:47:40 »
See you and raise you one, Tug Man! I am not convinced broad-beamed pertains just to the arsend of the ship. The choices are herring gutted ranging through to broad-beamed. I still maintain it refers to the overal burdensome rather than graceful nature of the ship.
I have attached a picture of my little steamer "Romany" with two fans (!) looking on admiringly. None has a broad beam, and the three transoms are extremely shapely. Enlarge at your leisure (the picture I mean....)
Back to the Nautical Terms b4 I get a yeller card.
Not sure about "Shake a Leg" (in NZ it's rattle yer dags, mate). I know it means get a wriggle on or get moving but the origin I am not sure.
"Show a leg" was a naughty custom of horizontal refreshment (Gen Monty's term) for the crew. A married man with his wife in the scratcher was allowed extra time at wakey wakey and his missus had to poke a leg out of the cot to show he was on the job!
Just trying to please, Admiral.

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2013, 23:59:57 »
That is a beautiful stern!.......No seriously I m sorry to have to demand more photos of that lovely little steamer. Details, we want details.....not that I am jealous you understand.. ::) ::) ::)
Barry

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2013, 00:35:10 »
Ah well. "Romany" was launched in 1994 very traditionally built -a real Cape Horner. She has a coal fired fire tube boiler providing steam for a 3 x 4 single cyl engine. Goes well and is a source of great joy.
She was built by a proper boatbuilder who had been really inspired by a previous steamer I had "Gypsy" that was launched in '87. Unfortunately he fell terminally ill before he could finish her and when I went to see him, the family decided I should take her over and finish her. The price was more than I could afford but ships happen. I had a boiler and engine takin up space in the shed and she came together quite easily though I had to get an old boatbuilder to finish the details.
Look at www.steam.co.nz if you can be bothered.

To get back to serous meanings of life and the universe:
To fathom out (something).
I was told sometime ago it was like "sounding out" something. ie getting a handle on its depth.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 00:38:29 by russellward »

PHILNZ

• Nelson sunshine capital of NEW ZEALAND
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2013, 02:15:10 »
Ahhh Broad beamed girls .

I have known that as a quarter acre in the back yard!!!  and if they wear adidas track pants with 3 stripes , will say no more than a white picket fence .
 thats Land lubbour terms.