Author Topic: Graupner Bugsier 3 build by a novice and son  (Read 15777 times)

geapra

• A newbie at boats giving it a go
Graupner Bugsier 3 build by a novice and son
« on: January 24, 2013, 15:48:19 »
I purchased this tug about 9 years ago at a Rotary fete for $15 AUD not knowing anything about model boats.  When I saw it, I though that it looked like a good couple of weekends modelling and something fun to do in the winter.  Then when I got it home, I saw that it was a complex build, with 3 blueprints and instructions in German.  Hence it has sat on the shelf for 9 years.

However, by now 8 year old son, ever since he could talk, kept asking me when we will build the tug.  My initial reply was at Christmas when you are 8.  Well guess what.  He is 8 and is on his Christmas holidays.  Hence building has begun.

I am a complete novice at boat building, While I have some modelling skills (a Hornby/Bachman OO trains et is in the Garage), my woodworking fines scale modelling is undeveloped and my assistant is 8 – keen as mustard but with an attention span typical for his age.  Any suggestions and comments are more than welcome.  And please, if you seem us doing anything unwise, please point it out (earlier is perhaps best).

When we started building it on the 27th of December, we did not plan to show the build.  Hence I have no photos of bravely cutting the hull to fit the parts to hold the rudder.  However, there are plenty of photos from others on the web that show this – so no great loss.

We originally started with the hull and rudder and have made what I think is good progress.  The only issue that we have had is that when sanding the keel around the foot of the rudder, we cracked the laminated parts holding the rudder.  This necessitated some local re-enforcement and re-gluing.  Paining the hull grey showed many imperfections in the styrene as well as where the repairs had been done and a lot of filling and sanding has been required.  Now that this is complete, the hull has now been painted red.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 17:18:04 by geapra »

geapra

Re: Graupner Bugsier 3 build by a novice and son
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 16:49:07 »
Getting ahead of myself, I'd love to build to a similar standard as the attached

geapra

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 16:58:39 »
Some hull piccies

geapra

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 17:00:40 »
And the hull in red

geapra

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 17:02:12 »
My son and I recently realised that the original plans for installing the remote control equipment are very dated and do not match contemporary radio control equipment at all.  After much consideration of whether to source older gear or to retrofit more contemporary equipment, the contemporary won as again this is not a field that we have any expertise in and if we are to learn, the current technologies are a better place to start.  Consequently we are currently waiting for the hardware to arrive.  Most of it is Turnigy branded from hobbyking.com (6 Ch TX/TX and servos.  The main issue has been the speed controller (as we are using the original Speed600 motor and gearbox).  We have chosen the JPerkins 5510135 marine brushed speed/control.  Hopefully this set up works....
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 19:59:14 by geapra »

geapra

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 17:11:13 »
In the mean time we have been working on the superstructure. We have built out the main structure and plan to detail some of the inside shortly – well anything that is really visible through the windows / portholes. 

I must admit, I am disappointed in the quality of the wood cutting that is present with my kit.  All of the wood joins need large amounts of filling and sanding as the cutting is not true.  Anyway – just a small gripe.  I am going through large quantities of Milliput

geapra

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 17:15:22 »
My son and I have also started on the deck support.  Graupner’s instructions detail that this is done at the same time as mating the deck to the hull.  But as we do not have the remote control equipment yet, it is perhaps best not to join them.  Hopefully this does not provide any major difficulty down the track.  Again the quality of the wood cutting is poor. 

geapra

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 17:21:53 »
And lastly (for today), a picture of inside the superstructure

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 23:48:04 »
Hi and welcome'. It all looks very good so far' you wood problems may in some part be due to the wood drying out over time, a cheaper option to milliput would be to use a two pack wood filler instead or even car body filler,I use both with great success,  keep the pictures coming they are great.  All the best . George.
Tugs are for life      George B

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 00:48:57 »
I reckon that's got to be great. Working with your young son on a tug model.
Teaching him modelling skills which is great. Bonding -even better, And the joy of running a model and planning the next one.
Great stuff and teaching him some life skills.
BTW I have three daughters and they took a passing interest in my models. But they can all row a boat, hammer a nail, saw some wood and sail a boat and cuss and swear when needed. Life skills......
Brilliant!
The rest of you, take your grandchildren into the shop periodically. We'll hsve this world sorted out before you know it.

Antipodes

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 13:54:18 »
 ^-^

I purchased one of these in at an online auction yesterday and am very much looking to build it. Like you I have a young son Soon to turn 6) who has become my assistant in our recently started boat building and sailing hobby. He shares similar traits to your own son - impatient, short attention span. It was his impatience that led us to get a Southampton RTR tug to enable him to drive it at our local boat club - sometimes he even lets me take command.

The sooner I get another boat finished the better. :)

I will start the build diary once it arrives. Like you I will be building mine ours with more contemporary running gear.

Kind wish

Bruce

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 14:05:10 »
They say that you have a special bond with grandchildren: You share a common enemy- their parents!

geapra

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 15:15:08 »
Thank you for all your encouragement & tips about wood filler.  I have been trying the Squadron Green Putty.  It smells bad and sets really fast.  It seems to be good for filling work where fast setting is required, but less for where some manipulation is required prior to setting.  It contains toluene – so need to be cautious about inhaling the vapours.

Bruce  I wish you all the best.  Hopefully we will build at a similar rate and can help one another.

Meanwhile, my son and I have been working on the wheelhouse. The kit does not include any detail for the inside, but we decided that the windows will allow sufficient viewing for some effort to be worthwhile.  Hence we made a control console and rear panel – see pictures (the timber needs to be clear varnished).  Please note the k-nex based wheel will be replaced by something more suitable in the future.

We also decided to allow the wheelhouse doors to open and close (cutting out the plywood and forming styrene replacements based on the original wooden templates {Graupner provides plywood door shapes to glue onto the superstructure that were useful to form the replacement doors}).  Now to source or make some suitable hinges – any suggestions?  I spotted some 6041/01 Working Brass Single Hinges 6mm  from http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk that may work.

donald.waller1

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 05:11:41 »
 :) :) :) :) :)

Nice looking job so far, your doing well keep up the good work. My grandson is also 6 he's into Train's, car's and boat's and asks if he can help, I love him helping, and it dose give you that bond.

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 14:31:23 »
Right on, bro! That's the age to teach them lifeskills and show them there is more to it than TV and X Box in the world.