Author Topic: Graupner Bugsier 3 build by a novice and son  (Read 17020 times)

geapra

• A newbie at boats giving it a go
Re: Graupner Bugsier 3 build by a novice and son
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 21:33:25 »
We have started work on the top deck.  My son and I found this was most enjoyable, fitting the individual bits of timber to the required shape.  When lacquered I expect it will look pretty good.

We also started on the walkways either side of the bridge.  This was very fiddly and very difficult to get accurate (hence the filler that you can see in the picture).  My son gave up early with this one and I was left to finish it.  :  (

geapra

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 21:53:57 »
Yesterday, much to our excitement, the R/C hardware turned up at the front door, born by a pleasant parcel post delivery person.  A quick assembly and IT WORKS!!!!

Man does that motor pull strongly!!  No way could I hold it with my fingers still.

I will have to put in a fuse to protect the ESC from as stalling motor.  While the specs suggest that it could handle a few seconds of a staled condition, 85 amps is a big ask of the ESC.  A 20w fuse should do as its normal current draw is apparently 12 amps.

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 23:55:29 »
All coming along nicely here... cool
Barry

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 08:26:26 »
I love that deck planking. You've done it so well. It's such a pain with big boats especially if laid over steel. !am planning that sort of deck for my model of "Bulli".
I have most of the stem machinery and can't help thinking that midellers sometimes think steam is complicated. I look at all the radio gear and the spaghetti wiring and think that that too is tricky. Everyone to his own trade!
You are getting along well!

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 03:09:02 »
If I may,i would like to offer some advice from a previous build regarding the laying of planking??

Some years back  I built a model of a Canterbury J class yacht and wished to plank a deck, and plank the hatches etc as well. Owing to the difficulty of gluing down long lengths of approx 6mm wide planks with a glue from a bottle and its potential hazards of spoiling the surface finish with errant glue I decided to use a pre glued veneer and black linen thread as the caulking.

The underdeck was in ply and after strip cutting the planks which in itself is a challenge being about 36 inches long, the pre glued veneers were more or less ironed onto the deck gently in position. After this a length of black linen thread was tack glued adjacent to the laid plank, just enough to hold it down, thence the next plank once ironed down would provide the thread with enough adhesive to firmly bind the planks and threat together. This process was repeated and at any corners or join the thread can be easily terminated or re routed so as to provide a continuous caulk.

I was very happy with the result as a first try and as the adhesive is just waiting for heat to set it in place does not rely on speed to beat the curing glue before the plank is laid. Also the caulk thread makes a nice even bead between planks and with a warm plank they can be manipulated into place or re heated if adjustment is required.

The final deck was varnished three times.  Selection of colours is available in the veneer  tape to suit ones colour scheme.  Am sure I am not the first to do it this way but is is very easy, non messy and professional looking in my opinion.

I will post some photos if you would like

Just my 2 kiwi dollars worth!! ( do not have 2 cents these days sorry )

VANYA

P.S I used mums iron..... Which I still have!!

VANYA

geapra

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 17:39:26 »
VANYA.  That is an excellent suggestion.  Thanks for that.  It is always good to hear how people do things.  I am a complete novice and would welcome any tricks of the trade.

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 19:21:02 »
Very happy to help out our Trans-Tasman friends.

Do you have a local sailing club in Sydney??

I visited one club located at Scarbrough Park, Rockdale who seemed quite active years back. A good collection of models and a nice location.

VANYA

VANYA

Antipodes

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 13:18:09 »

I will post some photos if you would like

Yes please - and also where you got the iron on veneer? Was that just a local hardware store?

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 16:49:53 »
The veneer was bought a a tape, about 25-30mm wide and you just by what you need. Quite cheap I think.

Got mine from Mitre 10 or Placemakers but any joinery shop or outlet should have it. I think veneer is also sold in sheets but just use the tape. Make up a jig to get the width as desired and away you go.

The iron temperature can be tested and I guess you can use a model plane shrink film iron too for the tight spots. Does not need to be too hot.

Will try to get the phots on tonight.

VANYA
VANYA

geapra

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 20:38:42 »
You bring up a good point Vanya.  I have no idea about Sydney model boat clubs.  I know there are facilities in Norwest and Narrabeen around Sydney that I have seen while driving around, but I do not know anymore.  Perhaps spme research is required on my part.   :)

The ideas behind your vaneer apprach are great.  Thanks for sharing.

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 01:31:22 »
Hi,

I have here some photos of the hatch cover and wheel house of my J Class sail boat. Sorry it is not the deck as I do not have the boat at home at present.

It is a varnished finish but you can also not varnish it too I guess to make it matt and more real.

Hope this helps.

VANYA
VANYA

geapra

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 19:21:34 »
VANYA - that is lovely work.  I like!   ;)

zeevaart1

• www.bergingshaai.nl
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 00:55:36 »
VANYA,very nice woodwork.
with best regards Cor
www.bergingshaai.nl

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2013, 01:02:49 »
Thank you too.

Your work is also very , very good as we have viewed on this forum.

This is the good part of the hobby that there are many different skills we can learn, and also we can pass our discoveries onto other fellow model makers.

Best regards

VANYA
VANYA

geapra

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 15:42:29 »
No build update unfortunately, as with back to school etc there has been no real time to sit down and do work on the tug.
However, a nice parcel arrived from the UK yesterday.  As lights are being fitted, it is good to get the wiring down around the bridge before it gets sealed up and painted.

The wheel, searchlight and horn is Graupner branded.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 15:49:29 by geapra »