Author Topic: Graupner Bugsier 3 build by a novice and son  (Read 15794 times)

geapra

• A newbie at boats giving it a go
Re: Graupner Bugsier 3 build by a novice and son
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 15:44:49 »
MTroniks sound and Graupner smoke generators will be fitted.

geapra

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 15:48:20 »
I found these lovely Mantua Fittings portholes and aero-naut tyres.

geapra

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 18:03:22 »
To get some practice using the airbrush (for me) and to teach the young man how to do it, I purchased some Airfix & Revell kits, which we both built (were cheap at our local hobby shop).  They were a lot of fun, and I think Airfix & Revell now have a new young fan.

geapra

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 18:07:07 »
The verandas have also been started.  We used some nice stainless steel paint on the grates to give a nice metal look.  Similarly the brass on the wheel seems to have come out well.  It is nice to get the old airbrush out again and to teach some techniques to the little un. (he also seems to like spraying solvent onto the driveway)

The mast holder was also built.  As per an earlier comment, the wood is in less than ideal condition.  The amount of filler required almost lead me to replace it all with sheet styrene.  But we persisted.

Now a question for you all.  To get a nice finish on the wood I have experimented in using wood stain with lacquer mixed with talc.  It looks rather poor, but when sanded with 1200 grit sand paper and covered with undercoat it seems to successfully hide the look of wood.  Is this a common technique or are there better ways of making wood look like a ship?

geapra

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 18:17:11 »
Another question for you all. 

I tested the hull in a pool to make sure the drive shaft and rudder were waterproof some time back.  When I was looking at it on the weekend, the propeller would not turn.  I found a small section of the inner shaft had rusted onto the outer-shaft near where the propeller thread is on which a nut is located.   Some WD40 and some elbow grease soon had them apart. They are standard Graupner stainless steel fittings.  Is this typically a problem?

Subsequently I have covered the inner shaft with plumbers grease to reduce any rusting.  I have also contemplated treating it via Bluing (selenium dioxide) to give some additional protection. 
1)   How do others deal with this issue? 
2)   I have also noticed that there is no washer on the inner shaft between the nut (which fits on the hull side of the propeller) and the hull should there be one?

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2013, 12:29:47 »
To answer your wood question: sanding sealer is quite useful for this purpose. It is available at most hobby stores and on line.

For the prop shaft question: I have not had any rust issues with the stainless steel shafts on any of my tugs. Are you sure it is stainless? What is the bearing surface made from? Mine are oilite brass bushings.
VGJQ

geapra

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 15:54:34 »
Thank you Model Tug Man
I appreciate the heads up regarding the sanding sealer.

As for the propeller shaft.  Yes I find it curious that I am getting rust.  I think I have the Graupner 410 prop shaft with stern tube http://www.graupner.de/en/products/b5d08e81-ce25-4ebd-9370-6193af870648/410/product.aspx which is supposed to be made of stainless steel and seems to have a brass bearing just where the inner shaft exits and the propeller is mounted.   In fact it was where the inner shaft contacts the brass where it corroded. 

If I do not have the 410 model I have a similar Graupner equivalent that looks the same. 

Do you use any treatment/oil/grease to protect your shafts?  If so what do you use?

PHILNZ

• Nelson sunshine capital of NEW ZEALAND
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 18:35:41 »
 ^-^  geapra  Strange that stainless is rusting , one can only imagine that it is a sub standard batch of steel.
I always grease the prop shaft prior to building and after a period of use will draw the shaft out and re grease. Helps prevent water penertration also the small washer between prop and shaft end helps prevent water and some free running.
Good luck with the build

PHILNZ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2013, 05:29:15 »
I have a small tube soldered to the shaft log up near the motor end. To that I have zip tied a flexible plastic tube which leads to the deck access. I have a plastic syringe like the ones used for glue which I use to inject vasaline into the shaft log. Non-toxic and easy to clean up. Also, keeps the water out nicely. Does not attack paint or plastic.

Do you run your boat in fresh or salt water?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 05:30:54 by Model Tug Man »
VGJQ

PHILNZ

• Nelson sunshine capital of NEW ZEALAND
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2013, 12:35:36 »
Our local modlers pond is briney as it is feed by salt water but also has fresh water feed. iOur pond is full of weed that the local athurotys wont do anything with and the club is not allowed to treat it with chemicals because of discharge into the sea. I have started useing a council pond/creek  at a local park and that is fresh water and most important no weed.

geapra

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 19:46:50 »
Model Tug Man that is a great idea about the feeder tube attached to the prop shaft.  I shall see if I can retrofit something along these lines.
The tug was tested in a salt water pool (hull only as my son and I are still working slowly through the superstructure).  Compared to the ocean the salt level would be much less in the pool. 
PhilNZ - similarly thank you, I think a suitable stainless steel waster is called for.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 19:48:46 by geapra »

geapra

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2013, 19:25:32 »
The funnel has been filled and sanded.  A Graupner smoke unit is to be installed, with the oil filled through the large protrusion at the front of the funnel.

geapra

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2013, 19:27:12 »
More funnel work.  It has now been painted in undercoat.

geapra

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2013, 19:29:30 »
The black bands added and trial attachment to the superstructure.
... the white band on the funnel still needs to be pained white via a top coat (as a semi-gloss white)

geapra

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2013, 19:34:24 »
We have also been working on the searchlight as well as the mast holder