Author Topic: Graupner Bugsier 3 build by a novice and son  (Read 31873 times)

geapra

• A newbie at boats giving it a go
Re: Graupner Bugsier 3 build by a novice and son
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2014, 22:11:08 »
Thanks for that Laurn.   A good pick up - but no prize.

While looking similar, the motor in that link is not the same as the ones I have.  Google/Bing searches seems to suggest that there are many RS-755SH motors out there - with a wide variety of operating voltages.  Looking at the mounting points, I am guessing my motors have come from a sewing machine or a window blind automation drive.

The ones I have (I have 2) have a total length of 87mm and a body only length of 59.9mm.  Diameter is 41.7mm

Could anyone help a newbie out - the numbers on electric motors eg 400, 480, 500, 600, 800, 755 etc do they mean something?  Perhaps rotor diameter, turns ?????

Jarvo

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2014, 02:47:55 »
HI geapra

The motor numbers are a very poor classification. i.e. 400, 500 etc. usually based on size, then voltage. Confused cause so are the rest of us.

If there is a 5 at the end 545, 555 etc. this should mean that it has 5 poles instead of the normal 3.  5 poles give more torque but less revs.

The motor you have shown and the data sheet from the link would indicate it would be very good in a tug, direct drive, on 24volts. The data sheet also said it was good for 4500 revs, of load, with the prop and water drag this will come down to 3 - 3500 revs, prefect with scale large props.

You would need to source a 24v ESC, Electronize do some, my Amsterdam is like this.

Hope this helps

Mark
Etherow Model Boat Club

geapra

« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2014, 18:04:50 »
Thanks Mark.  I was hoping the numbers would be stating something useful - shame that this is not the case.

As for the motor I have, I still do not know its characteristics.  Are there any easy tests to work out if it is a 12, 18 or 24v motor (I have found spec sheets for RS-755SH motors for all of these voltages) and perhaps its working RPM. 

Jarvo

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2014, 02:55:54 »
HI Geapra

The RS on the motor code might mean its from RS Components, they are electrical supplies company in the UK, don't know if they are in Auz or not!!!

Try on there web site for the model spec

Mark
Etherow Model Boat Club

geapra

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2014, 15:32:02 »
Thanks Mark.  A good thought there.
Indeed RS Components has a number of motors that look like the one I have (under the Mellor Electric brand) - but none of the offerings match the dimensions exactly.

Perhaps someone recognises the logo on the sticker attached to the motor?  Below:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 15:35:06 by geapra »

geapra

« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2014, 16:36:09 »
Weekend update.

I trial mounted the motor and remote gear in the hull - in preparation for an on-water test.  The motor is held to the hull by blue tack.  Does any of this set-up look like it will not work acceptably?  The original plans have 2x 6v lead acid batteries in series mounted either side of the motor.  If the LIPO does not work out, I will set up the same power source.

I found I was getting too much vibration from the motor to the drive shaft - and hence added a support to the drive shaft (in picture).  This reduced the vibration considerably (although some more balancing and vibration reduction is desirable).  As for motor rpms - my basic judgement it seems to be acceptable, responding well to the commands through the ESC.  Obviously a water test will be needed to validate.  As a reminder - I do not know the technical specifications of the motor.  The motor is strong as well - I could not hold the propeller with my fingers and stall the motor even at very low RPM.

I have mounted the motor in a manner that enables me to change the motor easily - with different motor diameters and lengths easily accomodated.

My plans are to test the hull like this in a pool and work out the location and amount of balast it will need.

My I ask how people estimate the weight/balance of the superstructure when determining the amount and location of the balast.  Do I take what I have built of the superstructure and deck, weigh it, work out the centre of mass and add that to the hull at deck height? 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 23:17:36 by geapra »

Jarvo

« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2014, 01:07:23 »
HI Mate

Some good questions there,  First you said that your vibration problem is still on going, from the photo the motor and shaft are out of line vertically, the motor needs lifting to remove the bend in the U/J.

About the mass balance, ALWAYS keep the top hamper as light as possible, cut holes in bulkheads etc,

Keep all your weight low down alongside the keel, balancing from side to side as well as fore and aft,

Take the waterline from the plans, mark it on the hull, test float it, load it to the water line then weigh how much ballast you have added. weigh the ballast this will tell you how much weight you have to play with, weigh the superstructure deduct from the ballast weight gives you the weight for batteries radio gear ESC etc.

Hope this helps

Mark
Etherow Model Boat Club

geapra

« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2014, 14:22:09 »
Thanks Mark.  You know - I did not notice the angle in the universal joint till you pointed it out.  Thank you.

Cyberdan

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2014, 07:27:07 »
Thanks Mark.  A good thought there.
Indeed RS Components has a number of motors that look like the one I have (under the Mellor Electric brand) - but none of the offerings match the dimensions exactly.

Perhaps someone recognises the logo on the sticker attached to the motor?  Below:

Hi,

That is surely the Mabuchi logo

Hany

geapra

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2014, 23:43:02 »
Thanks Hany.  I do believe you are correct there.

I wonder if it is an obsolete motor of theirs?  There is no RS-775 SH motor in Mabuchi's current range with a diameter of 41.7mm and the same vent hole arrangement as mine has.    The RS-775 VC / WC that Mabuchi provide in their product descriptions state they have a voltage range of either 6-14v or 9-32v or 9-24v.

geapra

« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2014, 17:44:19 »
A little more progress.  The steering servo is now fitted and the hull is ready for testing in a pool.

geapra

« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2014, 17:49:12 »
May I please request some information?

The attached picture shows a Bugsier 3 hatch - with rings attached to the top of the hatch.

Could anyone tell me what these are called?  They look like eye pins - but with the rings attached in a non-rigid manner.  I'd like to source some if I can.

Also - does anyone have a good source for scale nuts - again like the ones shown in the attached picture.

des

« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2014, 00:01:23 »
Those eye-rings look like lashing rings to me.  Or bow-shackles passed through holes in brackets along the edges of the hatch cover - same purpose.  I don't know of a suitable product or source for suitable model bits - maybe someone else can help here.

Check out the model railway press for nut-bolt-washer (NBW) detail parts - these are available in multiple scales which may be suitable for your Bugsier.  Try your local hobby shop first - they are likely to already have an account setup with Walthers in the USA for such parts, but you may have to wait awhile while the shop builds up a reasonable size list to order in.

Des

geapra

« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2014, 21:47:56 »
Making progress with the various fittings.
The deck is not attached to the hull as I am still evaluating if the motor I have is suitable. 

I tried the hull in a pool and it did motor along at full speed a bit like a speed boat.  At slow speed it operated nicely.  At present I plan it try an alternate motor I have to see if it operates over a better range of speeds.  I also need to change the rudder to servo connection as what I have installed has proven to flex more than desirable.

geapra

« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2014, 21:49:11 »
Current state of the build