Author Topic: Small towboat  (Read 4134 times)

canute

Small towboat
« on: January 26, 2013, 22:21:51 »
A recent scratch build.

In the last photo I added hand rails, small punt, tow rope hangers, flag pole and a raised splash board. Powered by a Costco toy excavator motor/gear box ($35) it has had lots of time on the water without any problems. A small barge to push is the next project.
Actually the next project was the addition of a Monkey rudder to improve turning when the barge is added, note photo.
I finally painted the paddle wheel after many months thinking about how I would approach this. It ended being a combination of airbrushing and spray can.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 17:12:41 by canute »

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
Re: Small towboat
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 02:53:53 »
How small is small??

Push boat is it not??

Might be a different interpretation for us in the Southern Hemisphere.

Nice model. Good to see some building activities on the forum.
VANYA

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 07:08:46 »
A real cutey! I guess tight turns may be looser than with a prop. They lend themselves to steam propulsion easily. I made a side wheeler once but never finished it and passed it on to a younger enthusiast. I'd like to make another sometime, but one boat at a time is my motto and I have three almost finished and one just started.

canute

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 14:37:54 »
Its 27" from bow to stern, 6" accross, 1 3/4" hull depth. 
Yes its a push boat or I believe we call it a towboat that pushes barges.
It has only two large rudders in front of the paddle but turns not to bad when moving forward. Turns are tight in reverse when the paddle pushes the water against the rudders.

(photo 2050 & 9905 by Joe S.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 19:10:31 by canute »

CGAux26

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 16:09:47 »
Having seen Canute's sternwheeler underway, I can say "nice job." cool
Dave

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 01:00:03 »
Yep. Gotta make one of those one day. We have one steam paddler in NZ -the "Waimarie" which is a sidewheeler. They used to winch her up the rapids on the Whanganui river where she is still running.
There was another paddler the "Kohu" which was raised from the bed of the Waiohu river in the Firth of Thames Auckland and allowed to rot away. Sad. She'd be worthy of modelling.

canute

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 18:54:05 »
To finish off my towboat project, a simple barge was constructed. There is little weight to it and sits about a quarter of an inch in the water for ease of pushing. On a windy day it takes a bit of work to turn the barge/towboat but makes it that more interesting to run. A small modification to keep water off the belt drive has really improved its operation.
The photo was taken by Joe S.
Kim
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 20:21:06 by canute »