Author Topic: Graupner Bugsier 3 Build Diary  (Read 3647 times)

Antipodes

Graupner Bugsier 3 Build Diary
« on: February 05, 2013, 02:38:49 »
These tugs seem to be popular all of a sudden. I picked up this kit on a local online auction site. The kit had already been started - a lot of the pieces had already been cut out, but a reasonable inspection showed that there were no parts missing. The bonus find in the box when it arrived was the Fittings kit. It wasn't listed on the auction and I was expecting to pay another $80 for one - which would have been half the price that I pad for the kit.

The build had already been started. The motor and battery boxes had been installed and some of the superstructure had been started with others cut out.

The worst area was the stern where whoever put the stern and rudder support together has made a complete hash of it.  I'm a novice builder so I cant criticise too much. It looks like too much epoxy between the layers of ABS, much like a layered sponge cake, and is now too thick. To make it worse someone has taken to the area with some heat source, perhaps in an attempt to straighten it up. It hasn't worked so if anyone has any bright ideas on how I could remedy this I'd appreciate it. I've taken to it with some sandpaper to clear up the messy epoxy. Here are some photos:

1. The box - looks quite old - and it is!!

2. The contents

3. The contents

4. Stern area - port side

5. Stern area - starboard side.

6. Stern area - heat damage

7. Keel - showing kink at the end

geapra

• A newbie at boats giving it a go
Re: Graupner Bugsier 3 Build Diary
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 23:41:09 »
That all looks salvageable.  Lots of filler and sanding should bring it up a treat.

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 23:54:25 »
Welcome aboard Antipodes.....It does look a very salvageable build. Enjoy and don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you want... ^-^ ^-^ ^-^
Barry

geapra

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 00:10:49 »
Looking at the pictures again.
It may be worth cutting it all off and starting again with sheet styrene suitably cut.  Do you have the plans?  Otherwise I may be able to scan a section for you?

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 07:57:44 »
Here are a couple of ideas--good or not:

1. Use a hair dryer or paint stripping gun to heat the area in situ so that it can be re-shaped. Careful with the hull in the area being worked.

2. Remove the damaged area and heat it in your oven at about 300 to 350 F so that it can be re-shaped.

3. Remove the damaged area and use it for a basic pattern to make a replacement part from styrene or other material.

Good luck with it.
VGJQ

Antipodes

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 16:39:28 »
Hi folks, thanks for the feedback.

I must admit I am leaning to the filler and sander option.

The radical surgery option of cutting it off and starting again is beyond my skill level at this stage.

The rudder post still looks to be plumb with the rest of the keel. The question I keep asking myself is do I want perfection or am I happy to accept a little flaw. Any issues with sailing can go down as 'character'.

Kind wish,

Bruce

geapra

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 19:47:54 »
Hi Antipodes.  Any updates regarding your build?

Antipodes

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 03:44:55 »
Hi Antipodes.  Any updates regarding your build?

Hi geapra,

Bugsy is in limbo at the moment. Boat building efforts have been concentrated on a 1:144  semi scale Type 24 frigate. This is the Paladin plan from Glyn Guest. A fellow club member and I set ourselves the challenge of building a warship in time for ANZAC Day.

I've done some work on fixing the  skeg and rudder post area. Serious tug building will recommence on 26th April!!  :)

Kind wish,

Bruce

Angus

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 23:21:13 »
 cool
Looking at the pictures again.
It may be worth cutting it all off and starting again with sheet styrene suitably cut.  Do you have the plans?  Otherwise I may be able to scan a section for you?