Author Topic: VIC 32 - Steam Lighter  (Read 36668 times)

Norry M

• Site Supporter
Re: VIC 32 - Steam Lighter
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 15:19:05 »
...Hi Tiny 69...
I am currently building a model of Vic 27 or AULD REEKIE as she was when used to film the series of The Tales Of Para Handy...
I bought my puffer part built from an old club member...

Here is a picture of VITAL SPARK as she currently is...

...Best Regards...Norry...
Get Yir Tugs Oot Furri Bouys

Tiny69

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 04:20:56 »
The next step was to skin the upper stern using a sheet of 0.5mm thick lime, starting at the keel end and working forward towards frame 3 which is the last one of the raised deck. The thin sheet was easily bent in to position forming the curve of the stern.

Now I could start to work on the section between the planks and stern section I had just completed. This time using a piece of 1mm thick lime I placed the sheet on the outside of the hull and using a pencil marked the required shape from inside of the hull. Then I cut out the marked up wood with a sharp craft knife leaving about 2mm all round to allow for trimming and slight adjustments.

After some fiddling around and trimming the piece of wood was finally ready to glue into place. This was repeated for the other side and also glued in place.

Tiny69

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 23:54:37 »
After completing the planking of the bilges on both sides of the hull I have moved onto the upper sections working on the deck support beams for both decks to allow the planking to be trimmed back to the deck level. I first cut a piece of 25mm x 6mm wood into 6mm wide strips on the circular saw. The strip was then cut into individual lengths that fit between the frame sections and glued and clamped in place with white PVA wood glue.

Around the curved sections the 6mm thick strips where cut on the backside to a depth of 3 mm at 5mm intervals to allow them to be bent more easily.

Around the stern I glued a 6mm x 1mm strip cut from some of the limewood sheet and will laminate more strips on top when the first has set in place, to build up the thickness to 3mm to give a good edge to glue the deck in pace at a later stage.

Tiny69

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 23:58:16 »
I have put together a short video showing the construction of the hull which contains more photographs of the build.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG23IRdFI_k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG23IRdFI_k</a>

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 03:58:10 »
Nice video, Tiny. I sure am learning a lot about hull construction. I may give it a try in the future sometime. Thanks for posting.
VGJQ

Tiny69

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 09:46:21 »
I had the opportunity to get outside to fibre glass the inside of the hull to give it some added strength. Cutting the fibre glass matt to size each compartment was lined ready for the resin mix to be poured in and worked into the matt.

Mixing 50ml of resin with a small amount of hardner I worked along one side of the hull, starting at the bow and continuing towards the stern filling each compartment.

Once the first side was complete I continued on the other until all the compartments had been filled with resin.  I left the hull overnight in the garage to totally harden, because of the fumes the resin gives off.

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 17:04:01 »
Excellent Tiny69,

Thank you for sharing your build. The video is, for myself and thousands of other tugboat
builders, a God sent. I know that even though I have planked a few hulls, I always dive
into the beginning hoping that I had made my plan of attack workable to success. Your video
shows a smooth progression to a fine hull.

Now I have to learn how to make a video. You have inspired me to do so. Sharing is where
it's at in our Tugboat Forum site here.

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

Tiny69

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 01:30:55 »
I use a program called Power Director 8 to make all my videos.  It handles both video and still photos very well.  I have been using it for about five years, mainly for my holiday trips, but know I have been using it to make my modelling videos.

Regards

Tiny69

Tiny69

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 01:42:47 »
After leaving the hull in the garage overnight I noticed that some of the resin had dripped through the small gaps in the planking.  Now I could start sanding back the wooden planking on the outside of the hull smoothing out all the joints and ridges, even sometimes sanded through to the resin.  I will continue to work on the outside untill I have a totally smooth finish ready for the next stage in the build.

Tiny69

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 08:58:43 »
To finish off the basic hull I now had to work on the bow and stern sections. Using some scraps of 6mm thick balsa sheet I cut some basic shapes and stacked them on top of each other. Next I mixed some fibre glass paste and applied it over the balsawood. When it had hardened off I was able to sand the stern section to shape as required.

Tiny69

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 11:14:26 »
The bow section was tackled in a similiar way using balsawood and filler paste.

Tiny69

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 10:50:08 »
With the basic hull shape complete it is time to make the rudder and skeg. First of all I drew out the required shapes on my computer and printed them out. I decided to make a cardboard template to ensure the skeg would fit onto the hull before I started to construct the actual item from brass.

Once I was happy the skeg template was correct I started to cut it out from 1.6mm thick brass sheet. Firstly the paper print was spray mounted onto the brass and I then started to cut and file the outside edge of the skeg, checking it against the hull at regular intervals.

Tiny69

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 10:54:41 »
I then started to work on the internal section by drilling holes and then cutting out most of the excess material and finally filing it to the shape required for the prop to fit.

Tiny69

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 11:00:01 »
With the basic skeg shape complete next I started work on the rudder section by making the hinge plates and soldering them in place using a simple wooden jig to hold all the parts in place.

Then I made the hinge plate for the skeg and set these up in another wooden jig to allow me to solder those parts togther using a 40W electric iron.

Lastly I made the rudder blade from a piece of 1.6mm thick brass sheet and soldered that to the rudder post previously constructed.

Tiny69

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 23:44:38 »
The next step was to form the keel around the bow of the vessel. Using a print of the bow as a template I constructed a simple jig out of plywood to form the curve of the bow, which I would use to bend the flat 5mm x 2mm brass strip around. I marked the section on the brass and cut twelve 2.5mm deep slots to aid with the bending process.

To help me bend it I needed to warm up the brass so I popped it into the oven on gas mark 8 for 15 minutes. I put on some thick work gloves and lifted the heated brass out of the oven and placed it in the former and gently started to bend it around the plywood former. By sawing the slots into the brass first this relieved the stress and it worked very well and I ended up with a perfect curved keel.

The bow keel was glued in place with two part exopy and held vertically in place with masking tape. I then glued the straight length of 5mm x 2mm brass along the entire length of the hull finishing off with the rudder skeg in the same manner.