Author Topic: VIC 32 - Steam Lighter  (Read 45873 times)

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: VIC 32 - Steam Lighter
« Reply #210 on: May 02, 2016, 08:44:54 »
Beautiful job, Tiny. I will be printing your book to add to my modeling library. If it is anything like the TID book it will be a welcome addition. Well done.
VGJQ

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #211 on: May 02, 2016, 20:50:41 »
Excellent Tiny, you really know how to post and complete a model build. Thank you very much.

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

Tiny69

« Reply #212 on: May 06, 2016, 09:55:20 »
I'm glad that my ebook will be joining your library, I hope you enjoy reading it too.

Tiny69

« Reply #213 on: May 11, 2016, 11:07:19 »
One thing was missing from the VIC 32 build and to finish off a display stand was required. I have been thinking for some time on how to display the model and decided to keep it simple so not to over power the model. I drafted up some ideas on the computer and played around with different sizes and eventually chose a simple oval shaped base with pedestals to mount the model on. To start the build I drafted up the design on the computer and printed the oval base out full size. Recycling the old display stand from the Moonlight model I was able to cut two oval bases from the 4ft x 2ft piece of mahogany that is almost 2 inches thick. One base for VIC 32 and the other for the future restored Moonlight.

The printed oval plan was glued to the mahogany and roughly cut out with a hand held power jigsaw. Then the edge was sanded on my circular sander to the line on the printed plan. Then I drilled out the three M6 holes for the pedestals to locate before removing the printed plan with some white spirit. Next I routed the outside edge of the base with a 1/2 inch cove router bit. To finish the wooden base five coats of clear gloss varnish was applied.

The three pedestals I turned on the lathe from a length of 16mm OD brass bar with a 5mm OD hole drilled into the base and screw threaded with a M6 x 1 tap. The rear pedestal has a slot milled into the top to allow the keel to slide into when the model is placed on top.

The photo shows the model on display at a recent Model Ship Society meeting with the hard back copy of the book I recently produced.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #214 on: May 12, 2016, 11:47:07 »
Perfect. What's next?

Tiny69

« Reply #215 on: May 13, 2016, 22:30:55 »
I have to finish the restoration of the Moonlight before I start any new builds.  I have some ideas and have been doing some research on various subjects.