Author Topic: My intro and A question on some props  (Read 2115 times)

skibo

My intro and A question on some props
« on: July 03, 2013, 22:22:38 »
Hello,
 I haven't posted anything on this site before but I have a couple cents worth to a few other threads along the way. I could go ahead and use this time as an intro to you people, I live in Longview Washington, retired for four years now, I have a very larg interest in many different hobbies, scale model ships and tugs. I also have a custom VW Hotrod I'm building, when I say custom I dont mean just lowered. I have built several model boats for r/c in the past, my first was a frieghter that I made with left over plastic sheating from a bathroom remodel job. I then built the W.T.Preston a stern wheeler that sits in Anacortes Wa. and several others I'll mention some other time. I am currently building an off shore tug that is in 1/2" to 1' scale and will be 59" long and 19" beam and will be powered by two 12 Volt 900 series Johnson motors with internal fans, I plan on all the other good stuff that will bring realism to the model. My question I need to ask you fellow tug nuts is I have three four bladed props from an Ebay find a few years ago, now one who sold me these props could tell me anything about them. One looks to be bronz while the other two are stainless, but they all have the same shape and size 3 7/8" Dia. and there was a shaft part that was with the bronz prop that has a thrust bearing on the end. It also has a splined section, the shaft is pinned through the prop. does anyone have an idea what these props came off of ?  Look at the pictures, I have been talking to a friend of mine who has a cad set up and a CNC milling machine so we can make a left hand mate to the props. Do these props look right for a tug to you guy's? Would it be worth while to go into this endeavor ?  Well thats enough for now, and thats more than two cents worth.

skibo

Re: My intro and A question on some props
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 22:30:12 »
Hi,
I'll try some other pictures of the props, it didn't seem to want to pck them all up for some reason.

skibo

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 22:33:47 »
Must be to much KB for this .

skibo

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 22:35:34 »
Last one!!

west coast tug

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 07:46:38 »
Your props look like they are from the Prop Shop UK .
Visit the web site at
swangroup.co.uk
They are still made and costly as well , But are very durable and make lots of power.
The best choice for the modeler .
Gary

skibo

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 09:27:30 »
Thanks Gary for the tip, I'll check the site out.
Leonce

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 19:35:23 »
They could be Raboesch props
I had a pair of that brand of props that looked just like that and were the same size.

Ironicly...I sold them on ebay several years ago.
MIKE

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 23:36:50 »
I HAVE one like that I got from  JOHN T. 46 years ago and it is on the GREG TOO , mind you it is a three bladed prop. It is the same design . He got it from ENGLAND some where .          PUFFIN

skibo

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 11:26:30 »
Ya, I went to the prop Shop site and had a look at thier props, I founf what looks to be the same prop but not in my size @ 3 7/8" Dia. that is if I figured out thier numbers game for size ??? and the hub is different than any they show. I think I will use two of thier 5 bladed kort props if they are of a larg enough size, or I'll go through Raboesch. I havent seen any props like mine on Raboesch site, but I don't know how old these props are either, hey tugs 53, about how long ago did you sell these props on Ebay and was it in the States??  Because I bought the two stainless props on Ebay a couple years ago.The Prop Shop says these are for steam or frieghters, I figure if I don't use them for my tug I can use one on my  Pacific coast lumber hooker The Sibyl Marston that will be 3/8" to1' @ 72" long ( still in framing) even though I think the real Sibyl had a three bladed prop. I just want to thrash some water with one of these props really bad! I could use one of the other ones for a paint mixer, I hate to but boy for a 5 gal. bucket of latex house paint it would be great. Hey Puffin can you show a picture of your Greg Too so O can see how it looks?
skibo

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 16:53:55 »
I think they went to California...or WA...can't remember.
Thay had too much pitch for a tug,(unless I went steam) so hence the sale.
MIKE