Author Topic: First springer build "Miss Penny"  (Read 6173 times)

Dizzyman2011

• :) If it floats ... Push it :)
First springer build "Miss Penny"
« on: July 16, 2013, 05:04:05 »
So after years of building mostly scratch building decided to build a springer my first foot in the water at tugs so far have put about 6 hours into her am not going all to scale as this was built by eye alone no plans just what I bought looked about right holiday coming up in two weeks so this has to be finished in time basic hull drive train 540 27t
Two 6v 2.1AH lead acid am thinking of using them in parallel so will be 4.2AH this will also be running the NAV lights a few pics to show where I am up to
Any criticism comments or suggestions are very welcome as I have no experience with this type of model AT ALL !!!!!!

Dizzyman2011

Re: First springer build "Miss Penny"
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 05:47:37 »
Oh just to note the 13t single is not staying just to line everything up while gluing the bulkhead in lol ;)

Dizzyman2011

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 07:36:41 »
Would it be a reasonable assumption that I should use the highest turn motor I have to give it slow rpm and loads of grunt or stick with a 27t bog standard well fully rebuildable 27t that is ( I use my comm lathe and brush grinder to give it a little bit better efficiency also my magnetic armature balancer helps as most motors are out of balance as standard not usually by much but little bit sometimes makes the difference ;)
Opinions peeps ????

Dizzyman2011

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 23:18:43 »
Little bit more done this morning fenders (I think that's what they are called ??)
Finished and glued in place now to let glue dry and get the filler out :)
Might start the wheel house later see how I get on way too hot here

Dizzyman2011

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 23:19:23 »

tugboyben

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 00:56:03 »
Morning Dizzyman
Springer's are great fun to build & sail keep up the good work
Please keep the picture's coming

I have build four

Jason
kirkleesmodelboatclub

Dizzyman2011

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 05:33:29 »
Hey Jason ,
Good to hear from someone thanks any suggestions am I doing things right or am I going wrong somewhere
I totally agree building these springers is great fun I love building
This afternoon while little one was asleep managed to tidy up the build bit of filler and got the hatch sorted wheelhouse structure built and glued but still separate as I want to do some detailing inside lights etc plus NAV lights and mast so roof seperate as well while I work out the wiring got some scaley figures that will look good once the yellow sowesters are improvised
This afternoons progress ...

tugboyben

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 05:54:08 »
Your doing a fine job  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
That's the best thing with a springer do as you like
You will have it on the water in no time

Jason
kirkleesmodelboatclub

Dizzyman2011

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 06:17:49 »
Thanks Jason
I can see how you have built four !!!
Addictive these there springers aren't they ??
Just got to work out what I'm gonna push now !!!!

west coast tug

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 08:13:09 »
What are you going to water proof the hull with??

Dizzyman2011

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 08:56:23 »
Hey west coast,
Am going to 50/50 dope and thinners the hull maybe even straight dope will harden off nicely and seal it well this is what I always use for anything balsa before going to paint not gonna bother tissue it as would not benefit this model
Just realised everyone seems to be using ply for there hulls this is all balsa :)

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 10:51:50 »
You might want to look at S-1 epoxy for sealing it. Not sure how balsa will take it though - will seal and protect the wood. Others on here might be able to add their thoughts.

I've just S-1'd two Springer hulls but they are a combination of 1/2 stock and ply.

Dizzyman2011

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 06:11:49 »
Yes I think epoxy would be beneficial to a springer especially if it gonna compete in polo events ;) this is one only for nice gentle sailing picking up some buoys pushing and pulling stuff so don't need it to be super tough
Have never coated in epoxy might have to try it on some scraps as have already done one coat of dope already on my next build I might look at hardwood and epoxy that should make it practically bomb proof have been working on the wheelhouse today lights in place just some detailing to do inside then glaze it and put out tO paint this model has come along much quicker than I thought it would have to be honest not as challenging as I thought it
Might be getting scales by eye very happy so far :) can't wait for the maiden now

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 08:38:06 »
HI DIZZYMAN 2011  ; A Real niece build  there .  That   S-1  that Mike mentioned will penetrate , bond ,seal , and add strength to your springer .    PUFFIN 

Dizzyman2011

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 13:33:58 »
Hi Puffin,
Yes I agree good advice from Mike and yourself .
If I hadn't already doped it once would be looking into a source for s-1
As I'm not familiar with it will still find out and try to get some though

OK different note need some advice now should I be putting in some deck clearing holes ... Not sure of the correct term sorry  :o
Or are they generally for that scale look rather than functional ?
If I do am thinking rear deck port and starboard rails ?
I have 1/2" height on the hatch built in in case of any accidents lol after all it'll be siting in the wet stuff can't expect none to get on deck can I or leave it alone as no freeing ports and take my chances would the holes prob let more in than I would benefit from getting out ... Mmm a dilemma thoughts gentleman please
Also thankyou for your kind words Puffin she's nowhere near the accuracy of some on here but am happy so far as my first venture :)
Phill