Author Topic: Single Kort Propeller, RH or LH??  (Read 2786 times)

Welsh Wizard!

Single Kort Propeller, RH or LH??
« on: August 27, 2013, 10:14:00 »
Hi all,
Just after a little info on fitting a single kort propeller on my tug, basiclly RH or LH??
I have a mmm models brakengarth tug fitted with a T24 motor driving a 90mm powerkort prop and im unsure whether to fit a RH or LH kort propeller, would there be any difference in performance, which one would be the best to fit RH or LH for best power, manoeuvrability control etc...
Cheers Dave.

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
Re: Single Kort Propeller, RH or LH??
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 11:52:07 »
 ^-^ Dave and welcome, i dont think it maters on single prop my Hollygarth is a left hand prop it all depends on the pitch.

regards John B
john b

PHILNZ

• Nelson sunshine capital of NEW ZEALAND
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 12:18:50 »
I believe it does not matter with single props. However with twin props the port prop should be LH and starboard RH i am under the impression that this is for better steerage due to prop walk.
While having a quick search i came across this article which maybe interesting for docking purposes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propeller_walk

Philnz

Welsh Wizard!

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 13:03:15 »
Hi John b,
Ive been advised by mmm to purchase kort prop from propshop as they have been designed for the 90mm powerkorts so the prop if im reading it correctly off propshop web page is 85mm dia by a 87mm pitch
Just forgot to ask mmm whether to fir RH or LH prop.  :-\
Cheers Dave

Welsh Wizard!

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 13:08:07 »
 ^-^ Philnz,
Thanks for the info regarding the props quite interesting page that, But im still :-\ which prop to fit.
Cheers Dave

CGAux26

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 21:10:46 »
Don't know how Kort nozzles behave as far as prop walk in reverse, but a LH prop (viewed from astern) that has right hand threads to the shaft tends to tighten when going ahead.  Might make the difference between the prop staying on the shaft if an obstacle is hit.
Dave

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 11:43:32 »
You are right there Dave just dont get crabs  :)
john b

PHILNZ

• Nelson sunshine capital of NEW ZEALAND
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 12:25:09 »
 cool   A unique way to increase propulsion there Tugnut.   Can it double as an extra tow hook or maybe a docking grappler.

Philnz

west coast tug

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 19:39:04 »
You will find out that the nozzle will stop the prop walk in reverse and make some steering be good in traveling backwards.
The walking is caused by the prop grabbing water and or pushing water side ways ,The nozzle stops this by redirecting the thrust fore or aft.
Gary

CapnTroy

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 10:55:45 »
Yep, what Gary said; the nozzle will cancel the prop walk or torque, so LH or RH prop doesn't matter, however, some motors are timed to run better in one direction or the other, so you should have your prop match the most efficient motor direction.