Author Topic: EMPIRE WOLD build  (Read 14691 times)

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
EMPIRE WOLD build
« on: October 26, 2013, 06:30:03 »
This winters build is going to be the Warrior class tug EMPIRE WOLD, built for the British Ministry of War Transport in 1941/42 by J R Crown and Sons Ltd of Sunderland. Not a lot of information is available about the vessel, as she left Reykjavik, Iceland on the 10-11-1944 to go to the aid of a torpedoed tanker and disappeared without trace along with her entire crew of about seventeen, thus giving her a life of under three years.[If interested the details can be found on the Thames Tugs site; Click on this link
    http://thamestugs.co.uk/MANAGED-TUGS.php
I have only ever seen two photos of the tug, plus a small plan of a warrior class tug in Bill Harvey’s excellent book about Empire Tugs. Obviously she will be built complete with gun tubs etc. Sixteen of the class were built by various yards and as with most war built vessels there were detail differences, mostly depending on the builder.
So to this end a mobile marine models hull [Lady Jan] was bought very cheaply [Not from MMM], advertised as having minor blemishes but only the washports cut out. For ‘cut out’ substitute’ hacked out’as they had been chain drilled very haphazardly and probably then levered out. Truing them up has resulted in them being slightly oversized, but I think I will claim that as a yard detail difference. Through the good offices of Brian at Mobile Marine, who was his usual very obliging self, I obtained his plan of the Lady Jan, which however shows some generic  peace time modifications so some time will have to be spent drawing in the gun tubs etc. The only other very slight problem with the hull was in the rivet detail which was very pointed and proud but a rub over with wet and dry has solved that problem and flattened the rivet heads off. I was going to attach a couple of piccies of the build but like a plonker left the hull with some parts glued and clamped up in a position inaccessible for photographing so ‘pictures to follow’.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 08:23:59 by thamestug »
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!
IF IT DONT FLOAT...TOW IT UNTIL IT DOES!!!!

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: EMPIRE WOLD build
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 07:05:29 »
Ooh I look forward to this one Pete good oh   cool  Geo
Tugs are for life      George B

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 08:03:30 »
Ooh I look forward to this one Pete good oh   cool  Geo

Thought you might like this one Geo but NO it wont be finished by the AGM!

The rudder skeg being a very vulnerable part is made from brass and bolted thru the keel with small BA screws and nuts.. A false wooden keel was fitted inside the hull to lift the securing nuts to a position where they could be got at to tighten them. Skeg to be faired in externally later. Second piccie shows the shaft and motor mount glassed in. The mount is removeable as the securing nuts are glassed in to the bottom of the ply mount. The screws only were covered with vaseline during this process and then run out before the fibreglass had fully hardened, cleaned up and refitted after everything hardened off. This same process was used with the skeg securing screws and nuts so that theoretically it could be removed if necessary, maybe to withdraw the rudder, but it would still be a major operation doing cosmetic damage. Lets not go there!!
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

TERRY

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 11:19:38 »
Hi Pete, That's an interesting subject for a model. Looking forward to your build photos.
Terry.
Measure twice cut once

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 06:05:19 »
Looking forward to your build, Pete. I will see if I have any pics in my library. Have you searched British Steam Tugs and 50 Years of Naval Tugs?

TM
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 03:23:22 by Model Tug Man »
VGJQ

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 10:49:42 »
 ^-^ Pete looking forward To this one dont forget pictures.

John B
john b

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 03:24:40 »
Checked my books and found a rather general plan and copies of the pictures you already have. Sorry there wasn't more. Good luck with the build.
VGJQ

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 07:43:09 »
Thanks guys. MTM No there is not a lot of info out there!!

Not a terrific lot of progress since last post. Have started making the rudder, Basically 3mm brass rod with separate 3mm pieces forming the main blade and the balance blade centres. These are sandwiched between two cheek pieces of 1.5mm ply. The 3mm ply pieces are notched on the edges against the rudder shaft and take a wire which passes through the shaft to prevent the shaft twisting in the rudder without turning it. After one cheek was glues on the shaft and wires were laid in position and the notches filled with filler. The other cheek glued on when dry. Started getting deck supports in and preparing template for the deck of 1.5mm ply. hope to get some more done over this weekend.
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 06:47:42 »
The rest of the deck bearers and steering servo bracket glued in and awaiting final sanding and first fit of deck. The second bearer back from the front will have the middle cut out once the deck is glued on. Next job after fairing off the bearers will be to get the rudder and tube in and see if I can think of anything else that needs to go in before the deck is fitted.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 06:50:03 by thamestug »
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

TERRY

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 07:26:14 »
Hi Pete, Very nice neat work.
Terry.
Measure twice cut once

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 04:19:15 »
Deck on and clamped down. Rudder and rudder linkage fitted. Tiller arm made out of pin from 13amp plug.
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 08:17:22 »
Deck now secured and clamps off. Got it on in one piece except for the very last section under the bandstand. Dont think i would have got the whole lot in one piece due to the tumblehome of the stern bulwarks and it needed to flex in two directions anyway. Would have been just my luck to spit it trying to 'fold' it in. Anway missing piece now clamped in and there will be a removeable hatch in it to get to the rudder head, all covered by a removeable bandstand. Got the final couple of bits of the rudder skeg cut out, faired and glued in as well this afternoon.
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 07:26:56 »
The unexpected arrival of a rare bows on piccie of another Crown built Warrior showed that there was some radical replanning to do regarding the front of the superstructure. This was not one width throughout but the fore section was only about the width of the wheelhouse above and then widened out around the boiler room and also was flat fronted with rounded corners. Some hurried redrawing resulted in mods shown. All this luckily before coamings were added. Pics show infilled deck areas at front of superstructure waiting to be filled and faired, removeable bandstand under construction and coamings going on and rough template of superstructure base just to see if I missed anything else!!!!!!.
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 07:43:46 »
Well spoted Pete, starting to take shape.
john b

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 06:48:57 »
Decided to get deckhouse framed up, mainly so that I could get on with the woodwork before the weather closes down operations in the garage, and I would then have a smaller component to get on with indoors. Base screwed temporarily to deck to get the shape over the deck camber and built up from there, carefully removing any screws that look like being built over!!!
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!