Author Topic: AHTS Aziz - a few questions  (Read 2781 times)

adam_goodin

AHTS Aziz - a few questions
« on: November 07, 2013, 04:06:16 »
Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding the model slipway Aziz AHTS. I have owned one of these before and I intend to do so again. So, my questions are as follows;

- Imagine a pre built Aziz, without Bow thruster but having a dummy tube already fitted. How difficult a task is it to retro fit a decent thruster?

- Again, Pre built model in question. I would like to use Aziz as a towing tug, to tow a future 'project' of a fairly large size and weight. How would you all suggest I convert the tug for this?

- Model slipways motors! The ones fitted are the 6:1 ratio motors on 12V system. Is it 'to risky' to use these for towing?

- Finally, if I did convert Aziz for towing, is it worth putting in a working winch do we think?

Many thanks in advance folks, I'm just curious as to what you would do if it were your boat.  :)
Cheers

-Adam-

west coast tug

Re: AHTS Aziz - a few questions
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 16:03:55 »
A working winch will be a big help in towing , Adjustable tows line help when under way and short for docking.
Gary

Volker

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 02:07:44 »
On www.tugboats.de is a report of a AZIZ built but as Red Merlin: www.tugboats.de/red_merlin.html
Sorry it is in German. The builder uses it für heavy towage of inflatable boats. As his towage winch is not powerfull enough he added a towing hook that the original doen't have.
The hook is attached to a vertical brass pipe that goes down to the bottom of the hull and is securede there.
Here you see the pipe: www.tugboats.de/bilder_fuer_red_merlin/14_red_merlin.jpg
And here the Winch and hook: www.tugboats.de/bilder_fuer_red_merlin/32_red_merlin.jpg
These to photos are in this report.
Volker

adam_goodin

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 12:14:19 »
Thanks Gary, thanks Volker...

Very helpful indeed. I may start a thread when I start the modifications - it's going to be 1 of a few winter projects on the bench.
Cheers

-Adam-

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 08:23:32 »
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:25:14 by Sudbury II »
"Suds"

des

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 14:24:53 »
Hi Adam

Installing a working bow thruster into a completed hull should be do-able.  It will not be as easy for a new kit as internal access is restricted by the foredeck installed over your working space.  On the plus side, someone else has already lined up the tunnel openings from one side to the other, so you only need to open these up evenly to fit the thruster.

Don't forget to lay the thruster motor over at an angle so you can remove it later if needed - this probably won't be possible if you mount it vertically.

Des

des

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 16:21:25 »
Hi Adam

I've been thinking about your question relating to the motors in the model.

At any given throttle setting, the amount of power required by the motors to drive the propellers is constant, regardless of whether you are towing or running free - you only move through the water slower if towing.  So, provided your motors work okay at full throttle during your bath trials (and they should) then they should be okay for towing.  Model Slipways have been recommending and supplying these MFA / Como Torpedo 500 6:1 motors for ages, so they must be good (or at least, adequate), or they wouldn't continue to recommend them.

Des.