Author Topic: Southampton Tug  (Read 2002 times)

freightliner009

Southampton Tug
« on: November 21, 2013, 13:30:56 »
Hi everyone,

My Xmas pressie arrived today, the Hobby Engine Southampton tug. Although it has been put away until the big day I did manage to have a quick look at her out of the box to make sure thee was nothing broken in transit.....well that was my excuse and I'm sticking to it  ;)
My first thoughts were she looks fantastic and that she 'felt' very well made and solid, I was impressed  cool

I decided to keep the handbook out to browse over, one thing, in the back of the handbook it says 'after use put the tug onto its stand, remove the rear deck hatch, take out the sponge, dry the sponge (a picture of it being wrung out), dry out the sponge and place t back in the hull when completely dry'. Am I missing something here or am I to expect some sort of water ingress after use?

The main battery that lives in the hull is a 7.2V 600MAh in size, supposedly giving around 30 mins running time. Can I get a second battery that has a higher MAh rating to increase the running time without harming anything?

A couple of other things, I forgot to look to see what connector this battery had on it? Tamiya maybe?

The crystals that came with it was a blue number 4, I've looked on EBay to get a couple of different frequencies but I'm a bit confused as the number fours I saw earlier were yellow in colour. obviously the different frequencies are standard but are the colours for these frequencies not standardised?

Andy

Proud  father of a new Hobby Engine 1/35 scale Southampton tug and 1/24 scale hand crafted Zeeland tug

west coast tug

Re: Southampton Tug
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 19:43:29 »
Yes it will leak some water there stuffing box needs a heavier grease . Most of the tubes just have oil in them and rely on the fit only for the seal.
As for the radio I thought all had matching colors . Most of these kits are in the 26 - 27 meg band .
Gary

freightliner009

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 09:10:48 »
Hi Gary,

Can you elaborate on where a heavier grease needs to be used and what type for me please as I'm not used to the terminology used with boats yet?   ???

Cheers,

Andy
Proud  father of a new Hobby Engine 1/35 scale Southampton tug and 1/24 scale hand crafted Zeeland tug

Jarvo

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 02:08:22 »
Hi Andy

No one replied to your question of type of grease for your Southampton tug, plain waterproof grease for cars is good, apply with a small syringe.

On ebay you can get some already to use.

Mark
Etherow Model Boat Club