Author Topic: NiMH For Lipo Batteries  (Read 1699 times)

freightliner009

NiMH For Lipo Batteries
« on: November 24, 2013, 07:54:08 »
One for you seasoned pro's out there, can I start using LIPO battery packs instead of NiMH ones without having to modify any existing electronics?

My Southampton came with a NiMH battery pack but I would like to use Lipo's as pack for pack they are lighter in weight and give a longer run time compared to the same size/rating NiMH battery packs.

Am I also able or not to go from 7.2V to 7.4V? There seems to be more battery packs to choose from with the 7.4V, so would an extra 0.2V make any difference to the existing electronics?

Andy.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:50:27 by freightliner009 »
Proud  father of a new Hobby Engine 1/35 scale Southampton tug and 1/24 scale hand crafted Zeeland tug

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
Re: NiMH For Lipo Batteries
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 09:03:31 »
lipo batteries have place ,but get them wet and I have had them  explode .  PUFFIN

ixion

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 09:14:43 »
Not sure the original cheap speed controller fitted will work OK, but you need the hard case 7.4v LiPo that I put a picture of in your other thread.
The lighter weight is irrevelant as the tug is to light anyway and to bring her down to her marks and make her more stable you should add some weight!

freightliner009

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 10:48:50 »
Not sure the original cheap speed controller fitted will work OK, but you need the hard case 7.4v LiPo that I put a picture of in your other thread.
The lighter weight is irrevelant as the tug is to light anyway and to bring her down to her marks and make her more stable you should add some weight!

As extra ballast is going to be needed is the tug is too light anyway maybe the MiMH battery packs will be better providing there is enough room for it.
Proud  father of a new Hobby Engine 1/35 scale Southampton tug and 1/24 scale hand crafted Zeeland tug

tbone

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 23:12:58 »
There are many more safety concerns with lipo batteries, using them in place of nimh isn't too hard, you will need a lipo alarm of sorts to ensure you don't discharge them too far.  There are great benefits to lipo provided you use them safely.

Having said all that I have never seen a gel cell or nimh battery catch fire or explode the way lipos can.  With all the hard work many people put into  building their models it might be safer to stick to other power sources especially in tugs where added weight is beneficial.

ixion

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 09:31:05 »
Having said all that I have never seen a gel cell or nimh battery catch fire or explode the way lipos can. 

You say you have never seen a Gel or nimh explode, have you seen a LiPo explode?

freightliner009

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 12:32:39 »
I did have a tiny LIPO from a micro helicopter that blew up on its charger and then caught fire in my living room too! Luckily it was a tiny battery but it went with the force of a party popper so I'd hate to think what something bigger is capable of.

Will the Southampton take a larger stick battery in the space where the battery goes? For balancing purposes too can a stick pack be fitted sideways (across the hull left to right) or else the boat will list to one side.