Author Topic: Fender Fitting  (Read 3561 times)

freightliner009

Fender Fitting
« on: February 02, 2014, 12:41:38 »
What fittings are used generally to hang rubber tyre fenders? I have some waxed rigging type cord to tie on to the tyres but what is used to fix the cord to the boat?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 13:18:26 by freightliner009 »
Proud  father of a new Hobby Engine 1/35 scale Southampton tug and 1/24 scale hand crafted Zeeland tug

des

Re: Fender Fitting
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 14:19:43 »
G'day Andy

The attachment is usually a simple U-shaped steel shackle welded to the bulwarks to which either rope or chain is attached to hang the tyres.  You can represent this on your model using simple copper wire around 0.75 - 1.0mm diameter, bent into a U-shape;  drill a couple of small holes through the hull the right distance apart, pass the legs of the U-piece into the holes, and attach using superglue or similar.  (The holes are necessary to give a firmer attachment than simply gluing to the surface of the model.)

Des.

west coast tug

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 09:19:17 »
If you want to go over board a bit . The Tiger Sun here has seiner net repair line painted yellow , Folded over with zap and heat shrink yellow squeezing them together.
The Tires about 50 mm dia. 3 holes in each, Again looped with the line and heat shrink-ed.
The shackles and cleats are brass that I have made . There is a cleat like Gem holder that can be bought from a jeweler supply place that looks good , About $15.00 per Gross about 100 pcs, Looks like a screw eye.
There is 2 weeks of 8 hrs a day to make and tie tires, Then 2 days to put them on .
The real Tiger has nylon straps holding them on. Some other tug's around here have chain or metal cables.
Tiger has 55 tires around here .
The round stuff under the bow tires is commercial fridge insulation tube Foam.
The stern is cut sheet rubber 1/16" cotton inside gasket material .
Gary

west coast tug

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 09:25:00 »
You can also try  The Schuyler fender company.
Schuylerco.com
They show a lot of details and tricks for modelers in there diagrams.
Have a look.
Gary

freightliner009

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 12:14:33 »
Thanks Gary, very helpful. Thanks Des too. My hull isn't made of ABS or fibreglass, it'a an all steamed and formed wood, just as they were made properly years ago. The hull seems like it is double skinned, I'm a bit reluctant to drill it as I don't want any moisture getting in the cavity, so, I was thinking more of tying the tyres and the cable going 'over' the side of the tug via a closed fairlead, Then on the inside putting a fixing on the internal frame sections (sorry don't know their names) that protrude through the edge of the decking that run up the inside of the side wall of the tug. It's knowing what fixing to use, a cleat maybe, but the trouble is the waxed cord I have won't stay knotted up and comes undone quite easily.
Proud  father of a new Hobby Engine 1/35 scale Southampton tug and 1/24 scale hand crafted Zeeland tug

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 04:27:30 »
Pictures of what you are dealing with would help us considerably in giving advice.

I have a fiberglass tug and wanted square extruded fenders for the bow and spent a considerable time looking for a reasonable material. I finally ended up using a square cut seal from a boat's outdrive rebuild kit--$9.00 US. Came out pretty well. Don't stand out in this picture but it is the only one I have at the moment.
VGJQ

freightliner009

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 13:40:37 »
Pictures have been posted here a few weeks back but not on this thread......

tugboyben

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 00:02:10 »
Few Picture's of my numas warrior rubber fender's
The bow fender i cut 1inch strip's glued & folded as on the real tug side fender's
Are tyre's are from model air craft the large one had 5mm cut from the middle & glued back to gether
Bit of work but happy how it turned out :)

Then i have SEA-HAWK i cut square peace's of rubber for the bow & run strip's all way run the tug
& more tyre's on each side

Jason
kirkleesmodelboatclub

tugboyben

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 00:05:09 »
SEA-HAWK  :) :) fender's
kirkleesmodelboatclub

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 06:13:45 »
Nice work on the Numas fenders - where did you find the rubber for these?
They look great!

freightliner009

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 12:57:29 »
Thanks Jason, nice job, looks very realistic.

tugboyben

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 00:18:42 »
Nice work on the Numas fenders - where did you find the rubber for these?
They look great!

Morning Mike
 I was given the rubber i used on the warrior  from a club member all he told me it was of cut's from a job at work

Thanks Jason, nice job, looks very realistic.

Thanks i was happy how it turned out

Jason

kirkleesmodelboatclub