Author Topic: Billings Nederland  (Read 2911 times)

Terence

Billings Nederland
« on: February 09, 2014, 15:09:15 »
As appears to be usual with Billings, their instructions and much of their kit is rubbish!  I'm an experienced modelmaker (but only 'planes) and have just returned to my slow build of theSmit Nederland.  My problem is that some of the "vents" (parts F625, F626) don't fit.  They are too tall for some locations and foul the sloping sides of the bulwarks.  Are they supposed to be shortened to fit? Or bent? Also, the solid brass drum-shaped outlets look unconvincing: shouldn't they be open on one side?  I could fill the holes in the deck and re-drill to move the vents away from the bulwarks, but that seems a bit drastic. I've looked at dozens of pictures on the internet, and as far as models go, there is little consistency - some appear to have been shortened, others don't even have vents!  And I've not been able to get a picture of the vents fitted to the full sized tug.
Hope someone can help me.

Cheers
Terry

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
Re: Billings Nederland
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 21:17:15 »
Wow!  Sounds like the Smit Ned kit has changed somewhat.  I built mine about 20 years ago and it all went together according to the instructions and drawings.  Will see if I still have my old drawings and figure out some of your problems.

Terence

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 02:06:53 »
Olscuzbut
Yes, I think they have changed a lot.  Some of the posts I've read mention rudders that have to be made from laminating acrylic sheet (mine are brass), difficulty in fitting handrail to the bulwarks (the 2mm plywood of the bulwarks is far too thick for the plastic edging - and equates to 66mm thick full size! - and the drawings show something around 1 mm thick, and I used 1mm aluminium, which was difficult in a way, but the finished job is good), and hawser bushes, masts and suchlike are definitely not best made from wood.  I've semi-scratch-built much of the boat, and in future I'll scratch-build the lot.  In the meantime, since this is my first boat, I'm somewhat ignorant of the level of authenticity of the kit and what's acceptable.
Of course I can adapt components that don't fit or are plainly wrong, but I look forward to any info you can give on the vents.
Cheers
Terry

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 14:32:09 »
Well,  first try didn't work.  will try again.  One pic at a time

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 14:48:13 »
Couldn't get any more pics to load so have tried to resize them.  Hopefully that will work

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 14:50:16 »
Well   that worked.  Will try a couple more.

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 15:11:28 »
FINALLY!!!  Now to go into the explanation that went off into the digital never, never land, sorry for the delay.  Have the grand daughter for the week so don't see much of my work shop these days.  Think you can still zoom in enough on the drawing pics to get the locations of the vents.  Went thru all the info I have and couldn't find any description as to what the "vents" are called and how to mount them.  I mounted them on an angle flush with the bulwark.  Keeps them back out of the way.  All my bollards are glued and screwed from under the deck for strength.  After many wooden mast repairs, I built this one from brass tubing.  Much sturdier.  Has a working tow winch and working radar ant.  Larger 4 blade props and some working lights and that is about the extent of my mods.  If you still need more info, let me know.  Will try to dig it up.

Norm

Terence

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 13:25:56 »
Norm
Belated thanks for pictures - and again, I hope my model turns out as well as yours.  Re. the vents, now that I've seen them in the video (I posetd a link recently) the items supplied by Billings are not like the real thing, so I'm making new ones out of brass.  The problem with the Billings kit is that the location holes for the vents are in the wrong place (well - if compared with the real thing) and I've left it too late to fill them and re-drill.  My options are to bend the vent support pipes (as many seem to do), or make shorter pipes, or make up thin plates with "displaced" vents so that they're moved a bit away from the bulwarks and the original holes are covered.  Still hope to make a good job of my firts tug, but it's a learning curve, and probably my next model will be scratch built.
Thanks again for your help.