Author Topic: Painting  (Read 6909 times)

Stavros

Painting
« on: December 10, 2007, 14:42:03 »
Right then me and my big mouth well here goes
Need to know about paining well ask me,
Need to know about paint stripping,
Need to know anyhtign well guess what ask me.

Right then I can here you all asking who is this guy well I have had over 25yrs in the Motor trade as a Paint sprayer so I htink I should know a little about paint!!!!! Well i hope I do ;)

Stavros
OVER HERE PERMAMENTLY TO HAVE A QUIET LIFE

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
Re: Painting
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 04:04:12 »
Okay Stavros here goes. I will shortly have to paint the hull of my Lady T steam tug. I do not have an airbrush and have never used one. What advise can you give me. If need be I will purchase an airbrush but will have limited funds to do so.

Cheers,

Barry
Barry

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 10:12:42 »
Right then you don't need an airbrush for a decent finish all you need to do is visit your local Halfords store and get some of their aerosols.And visit a Motor factors as well.

step 1 Go out and purchase from a motor factor some panel wipe it is alos called spirit wipe this comes in 5ltr tins
        2 Halfords or equivellent Buy some primerand whatever colour you need,some wet dry in 180,400,800grit
           whilst hter you can also buy some tac rags
        3 wash hull down wiht panel wipe dry off wiht second cloth
        4 Rub hull down with 180 grit,panel wipe dry off tack rag apply 3coats of primer leave 48hrs to dry
        Give the primer a MIST coat with satin Black this will act as a guide coat.when I say a mist  coat what i mean
        is a transparent coat,one you can see thru.
        5 Rub down with 400 wet dry off clean up with panel wipe leave to dry for 24hrs,reaply panel wipe,then TAc
        Rag the hull this will get rid of any dust give hull 3coats of hull colour leaev to dry 48hrs
        6 Rub down the hull yet again but using 800 wet dry rinse off wiht water,panel wipe leav to dry 24hrs,panel
        wipe tack rag,apply 3final colour coats.

The above process will apply to any surface it is a very easy system to follow and will give the amateur an very good paint finish.What one haasd to remember is that PREPARATION is 99% of the finish.
Finishing WOOD is very simple as well the only differance is thta you will have to seal the wood with a sandign sealer prior to th aplication of primer the rest is exactly the same.
If you want to know more then ask

Stavros

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 00:57:23 »
Thanks for that Stavros, I will try to follow your advice. Only problem is ......I live in Malaga, Spain.......No Halfords down here.

Sure I can get the equivelant products so will keep you informed.

Barry
Barry

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 11:23:25 »
Right then if you can not get acrylic spray cans if you get Cellulose they will do the job just as well

Stavros

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 11:36:41 »
Tyhanks amigo and Hasta Lluego (See you later).
Barry

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 11:37:19 »
Too much Jamesons....I mean THANKS
Barry

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 20:12:34 »
VERY good advise Stavros!!! You know your stuff!

Cheers! ;D

tugs53
MIKE

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 23:32:46 »
Not got round to painting my hull yet, but have Stavros's instructions printed off and in my wallet ready....

Barry
Barry

chipchase

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 09:15:42 »
Hi Stavros

I have just sprayed a hull with red oxide spray paint, I was just about to give it another coat but noticed that the tins are different one is cellulose and the other is acrylic, both red oxide made by Simonize, can I use these two together or will there be a reaction.

Brian 
Brian

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 13:07:12 »
Hi Chipchase.

You cant spray Cellulose over acrylic as it will craze and lift but I have sprayed acrylic over cellulose once the paint has hardened   hope this helps.
Tugs are for life      George B

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 14:58:16 »
Model Tug man is 100% right in one way BUT paint is a very complex subject even I wont answer this a 100%
Right then reasoning why simpley it just depends what thinners they have used in the formulation sometimes you get away with it sometimes not.What i would do personally is to stick to ACRYLICS throughout your build simply because they are so readily available.
just to give you a classic example of how things can go WRONG even for a so called EXPERT like me.I have aquired a pilot boat hull which as someone said it looked like a 3 yr old had hand painted it!!!!AND HE WAS CORRECT >:(.Now me being the so called expert and not exactly thinking straight decided to rub it down with 180 dry and proceeded to spray it red using Plasticoat sprays,nothing at all wrong in that BUT I was gobsmaked when it reacted with the paint that was on the hull,a major problem as now not only have i got to rub the plasticoat down I have got to get rid of all the original paint what a pooh pooh day.
What caused it............I really dont know why i say this is simple it has never happened to me before with Plasticoat.I htink it might have been hand painted with houshold paint an dthe Plasticoat thinners has eaten into the original and reacted I have sprayed this product on quite a number of things and never had a reaction.I use this stuff simply because 1 it gives a cheap finish,2 a good gloss 3rdly for hulls that I dont know what they have been painted with,so I am at a loss really to why this has happened

Stavros

chipchase

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 00:26:48 »
Thanks for the information I will finish the model in acrylics as suggested
Brian