Author Topic: My little springer "Sequana" (Ramborator)  (Read 22170 times)

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
My little springer "Sequana" (Ramborator)
« on: February 11, 2014, 13:59:54 »
Hi folks,

I've resumed the build of my Robbe Odin tug which is at my parents. In the mean time I've decided to build a little springer tug. Simple "Ramborator" kit from Aero-Naut made of plywood.

I'm documenting the build on my little web page: http://rc.noalia.fr/boats/sequana/

==> Build log 2014-01-31

Hull and deck are ready. Unfortunately I didn't take any picture from at earlier stages.

Hull & deck

Side view of the hull

Hull & deck

Bottom of the hull

Inside of the hull is covered with hook & loop so that I can move stuff around. I'll use the hull as a "work barge" later on, for camera work. I want things to be "flexible".
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 14:09:52 by Calimero »

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
Re: My little springer "Sequana" (Ramborator)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 14:10:41 »
==> Build log 2014-02-23

Today I got the lead ingots I ordered. After some tests in my advanced test tank (aka bath), it seems 2.8kg (~6lb) of ballast will be needed to have the tug sit right.

Each ingot weighs 300-380g (average actually around 340g).

Mock installation of ballast

Mock installation of ballast

Waterline with current ballast configuration

Might actually require an extra ingot. We'll see once the boat is complete.

west coast tug

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 17:54:29 »
Be prepared for it to run bow down or bow under the water , Most of the locale Springers here do that.
They push a good wave in front .
Gary

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 02:29:08 »
Yeah I've seen a couple videos on Youtube ranging from springers high on water looking more like fast electrics to a springer impersonating a U-boot.  :)

I'll have to move ballast around to get the right feel.

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 15:05:06 »
==> Build log 2014-02-23

Deck is now onto the hull thanks to a bucket and a half of epoxy (I like mixing epoxy !). Time to test it on the pond !  >:D

Deck now epoxy-on hull

"Fenders" installed

Ready for trials

First time on the pond !

Gary you were right. I was a little heavy-handed with ballast as I wanted the tug to sit flat on water. As soon as I put some throttle it just dived.  angry  :D

After I removed some of the lead ingots it looked a bit better. The springer still goes nose down when full ahead but it's much more acceptable. I'll only go full throttle when pushing heavy stuff I think.

By the way how are those two "posts" at the front called ? They are referred to as "dolphin posts" in the English translation of the manual but a google search for "dolphin posts" gives me totally unrelated info.

Anyway here's a video of both my runs today, on two different ponds (bit of "pond scouting" on the way back).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TmoOZVRXTM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TmoOZVRXTM</a>

You'd better watch it in HD if you want to see the tug as it was filmed with my GoPro2 (extra wide angle = things look extra small  :D).

Cyberdan

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 10:32:49 »
Hi,

These are called Push Knees. Excellent build by the way, following it since I'm building one too, just without a kit.

Hany

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 16:47:40 »
Thanks ! I updated my site with the right term.

Quick update for tonight ==> Build log 2014-02-19

Bulwark and stanchions

Bulwark and stanchions

Bulwark and stanchions

Bulwark and stanchions are glued together with cyanoacrylate glue but the whole thing isn't glued yet to the deck. Some sanding/fitting is still required before I can glue the handrail on top. I'll then epoxy it to the deck and reinforce all joints (and fill gaps) with small epoxy fillets.

This thing is getting closer to looking like a tug/pushboat.  ;D

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 19:41:05 »
Looking great!
MIKE

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 14:39:56 »
Bulwark is now complete with its handrail. Some epoxy to strengthen all the joints and then three coats of G4 polyurethane marine sealer/primer (just like the hull & deck).

Tossed the tug on the pond with a GoPro on it's back (right where the wheelhouse should be; need to get myself a mariner cap  :D) and off we go.

Here's the vid. Again, watch in HD.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-b4Hi-OdIk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-b4Hi-OdIk</a>

Or if you're a die-hard springer tug fan you can download the original high(er) quality videos from my site.

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 18:12:06 »
==> Log 2014-03-01

Primed hull and deck

While I knew my (very) minimal prep work wouldn't look fantastic, the plain flat color of the primer makes every scratch and glue leftover look like rifts and mountains. I'll see how/if I'll be able to fix this before I start painting though I don't have that much time.

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 13:07:06 »
Build log 2014-03-03 : Paint
Primed hull was sanded with 600-grit sanding paper. Surface finish was still far from perfect.

Multiple thin coats of each color were applied. Acrylic spray paint was used.

Deck view - Deck edge from bulwark to bow turned out a little fuzzy

Rear view - Hull and bulwark finish are decent. Deck and push knees are so-so.

Waterline - Painted waterline more or less matches actual waterline.

I used the same colors as on the Odin so that I could reuse the same spray cans. See bill of materials.

Finish from spray paint was half decent. I then decided to paint the outer edge of the deck from the bulwark to the bow matt black with Tamiya acrylic paint. Deck was masked with masking tape exposing only the edge which was painted with a brush. Wrong move ....

Some of the paint got through (or under) the masking tape. Instead of a clean straight black strip/edge I now have some fuzzy black lines. I'll see if/how I'll try and fix this.

Next up are the wheelhouse, mast and navigation lights.

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 10:54:21 »
Had my fast electric 29" catamaran out to the pond today. Of course I took the springer with me too. Glad I did !

At some point the cat was used as a launch ramp for another cat (which was going over 90kph/50kt). Some scratches on the hull but the canopy's dead.  Rudder of the "pirate cat" cut right through it. I was barely finishing my first pair of batteries !

I already have a replacement canopy, I'll be able to get the cat up & running quickly.

Anyway I switched to the Sequana. Quite the change of pace (10 times slower). Quite relaxing !

The Sequana made her first recoveries: four FE cats, two soccer balls.  :D

I got a solid two hours of runtime from the SLA battery. First scratches on the hull. Well, this is a work boat after all !

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 17:20:27 »
Quick update: not really satisfied with my paint job. Pushing/recovering other boats already took its toll on the paint.

Will probably just brush the faulty area with flat black Tamiya paint. Boat will have a "weathered look" much faster than expected.  :D

I ordered black silicon hose which I'll use as fendering all around the boat. We'll see how that will turn out. Maybe add two tires on both sides. We'll see.

I'm also working in SketchUp to model a new mast/radar and then 3D print it. Takes a little more time than just using the supplied mast (piece of brass tubing) but I hope in the end lights installation would be easier. Plus I have to hone my 3D modeling skills !

Custom vinyl decals were in the mail a couple days ago. Couldn't get them as small as I wanted (vinyl is cut to shape letters which makes small lettering difficult) but it should look decent anyway.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 13:09:54 by Calimero »

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 13:12:58 »
Little update : 2014-03-29 : Lettering and recovery rig test

Name on transom. A little BIG !

Recovery rig for fast-elecrics

Behold the beast !

I have a fast-electric 29" catamaran, the Blackjack 29 from Proboat. Under ideal conditions it can go up to 70km/h (40mph+). At that pace it doesn't take much for the boat to blow over.

If you're lucky the boat will end its little air-show right-side up but Murphy usually begs to disagree.  Or the flex shaft could also snap turning your boat into a buoy, essentially.

With some maneuvering the cat can be pushed back to shore with the springer but you have to get the "sweet spot" on the catamaran hull or else you'll just spin the boat around. Things get more complicated when flipped boat is 50m out ...

This basic rig is supposed to make this easier and act like a pitch-fork. I'll just have to line up the springer/rig with the stern of the fast-electric and "catch it".

Rig was built in an hour or so with 32mm PVC pipes and bends. A simple piece of rope hooks around the front bollard for easy install/removal.

Foam will act as fendering and also provide extra buoyancy (rig is sealed and will float on its own).

Today's quick test showed maneuverability remains very decent.

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 11:46:06 »
Log 2014-04-30 : 3D model of wheelhouse

Progress on the Sequana has been slow. Aside from building a transport cradle out of PVC pipes, I haven't done much.

I intend to put LEDs on the tug which means soldering and wiring which means .. meh.

Kit comes obviously with a wheelhouse made of plywood parts to be glued together.

As I'm experimenting with 3D printing, I've decided to create a model of the wheelhouse.

Truckable tugs are usually very simple designs in order to keep building costs way down.

Truckable tug

Truckable tug - Might add funnels/exhausts to my model

Truckable tug - Wheelhouse is essentially a box with slanted windshield

Creating a model of such a simple wheelhouse is quite straightforward.

Wheelhouse 3D model

Wheelhouse 3D model

Mast - Will hold masthead - rear cover is 135 as masthead light must be visible over 225

The wheelhouse is actually made of six parts which will be printed as individual units:

• Wheelhouse body/walls
  • Door
  • Roof
  • Two navlight brackets
  • Bridge/table

The wheelhouse is sized after the original plywood parts supplied with the kit in order to use the supplied plastic windows. The 3D model has small grooves near the window edges so that the clear plastic sheets will fit in place.

Front and side walls of wheelhouse have integral brackets on which the bridge will rest.

Bridge itself is a simple "U" shaped board with rounded corners and has an integral "mount" for the wheel.

Cornwall Model Boats has some nice Telegraphs/Power Handles, GPS and Radar screens.

The small mast is around 30mm high and will hold the masthead light and is cut for a 3mm "flathead" LED (which has a 4mm base/rim). Not sure yet how it will look once printed and installed onto the roof ...

I may also have to add "guides" in the corners to route LED wiring from the roof to the floor without being too visible.

Main part prototype is currently printing and should be complete in approximately 12 hours ...