Author Topic: SPEKTRUM DX6I PROGRAMMING  (Read 2058 times)

Mistrelyn

• Site Supporter
  • Your never too old. I think!
SPEKTRUM DX6I PROGRAMMING
« on: March 06, 2014, 10:17:15 »
Hello again chaps

In my bid to make an unusual Springer I am going to make the Bridge rotate when going astern.

Don't laugh!!!!

To this end I have invested massively in a "huge" servo usually used to control the sails on yachts. Well fairly massively! Alright it cost me a few bob!!!!!

The challange now is how do I set the controls on the Spektrum to make it rotate only 180 degrees rather than the normal 2 turns when controlled from one of the switches on the transmitter.

The instructions are, as usual, sketchy to a layman like me.

Really need your input on this guys.

Regards

John

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
Re: SPEKTRUM DX6I PROGRAMMING
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 11:19:40 »
Hello John,

I didn't laugh at your plan. . .however, many have laughed at some of my ideas around the Forum here and with good cause. After the laughter dies down, someone has always written a reply that gave me lots to think about and solve my design problem. Super Tug Forum here.

I am very interested to hear some of the replies to your question. Many on the Forum here are extremely knowledgeable of servos and their controllers.

Welcome Aboard John,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

des

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 13:45:39 »
Hi John

Programming your DX6i should be fairly simple.

Is your throttle on your left or right stick?  And I assume you'd want your rudder on the same stick?  (I think this is the Aileron channel on the DX6i).  That would leave the left-right control on the second stick available for controlling your pilothouse rotation (Rudder channel on the DX6i).  To limit the rotation to 180 degrees each side, go to the Model Setup menu, select the Rudder channel, and set the limits initially to 30%.  Then adjust this value (more or less) to your requirements.

It seems that the Dx6i is fairly popular among RC model boat builders / operators;  it's a pity that the Instruction Manual is written for aircraft and helicopters - it makes it difficult for first-time model boat users.  And there are a few "tricks" that aren't documented, but which can be found on-line.

When you get to that stage, and if you are still having problems, post another query on the Forum, and you'll certainly get all the help you need.

Des

Des.

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 14:04:13 »
I was a bit distracted last night to follow-up on your other topic.

I have a DX7s which should be close enough from your DX6i.

Here's the DX6i manual. I'll refer to this manual.

A two-position switch (like the gear channel) will go from -100% to +100% by default. You need it to go from 0% (bridge to the bow) to something like +35% (bridge to the stern).

I assume you have a 6 channel receiver that was supplied with the radio and you're going to use the "Gear" switch. If your radio is Mode 2 (throttle on left stick), that's the Q switch as seen on page 5 of manual.

Power the TX off.
Press the roller and hold it down.
Power TX on while roller is down. You should now enter "Setup menu". Release the roller.
Click (press and release) the roller.
Turn roller and select function #3 : Monitor.

(if the TX is already on, on main screen, press the roller for 3 seconds and it should switch to "setup menu")

The monitor screen is really helpful when setting up mixes, adjusting trim or servo range. It allows you to quickly check what you're doing without having to wire everything up. It is of course essential that you test everything with real servos once basic TX setup is done. And be careful during the first "live test".

Now that you're on the Monitor screen, move the sticks around to identify what control "drives" what channel. Then flick each switch and see how that translates.
Gear switch should be connected to channel 5 and go from -100% to +100%.

Connect winch servo to this channel and again flick the switch back and forth to see how it translates on the servo end.
If the winch is turning "the wrong way", you must reverse the channel. Having a servo arm on the servo will help visualize actual range/angle.

If you need to reverse:
Press roller for 3 seconds to exit Monitor screen
Turn roller to select function #4 : Reverse
Turn roller to select channel (Gear)
Press to select
Turn roller to reverse channel

Now that we've identified what channel to use (and it's turning the right way), we can now reduce servo travel.

Press roller for 3 seconds to exit Monitor (or Reverse) screen
Press roller for 3 seconds to exit "setup menu" and return to main screen (which shows model name & number, TX battery voltage ...)
Click roller to enter "adjust menu"
Turn roller to select function #3 : Travel Adj
Click to enter Travel Adj screen
Turn roller to select Gear channel
Click to select
With the switch in its "off" position (bridge to the bow), use turn roller to bring travel down to 0%. Servo, if connected, should move accordingly.
Flick switch to "on" position (bridge to the stern), value should now have jumped back to 100%. Use roller to bring down travel to desired value, looking at the servo. Using a winch servo, I assume you would end up with as little as 30-40% of travel to get 180.

Only problem that will arise is that those winch servos are quite fast and rotation might be a little wild (. Sadly even "mid-level" transmitters like the DX6i/DX7s don't have servo speed adjustment. There are dedicated electronic circuits that plug in between the servo and the RX and that let you adjust speed. Here's one at HobbyKing.

As for sketchy ideas, I have my own.  :P
As my Springer is nearing completion, I'm thinking of building a small barge. Then of course arises the question: what should I move around with said barge ?
And then I came up with the following idea:

That's a 25" 12-volt boat horn. A cheapo probably-chinese-made horn with a 12v compressor. These can be had for around $60. Add a $10 brushed ESC and a battery (I have 3S Lipos from my speed boat) and you're in for some good fun I suspect.  >:D

Mistrelyn

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 07:23:24 »
Thank you so much guys.

Calimero
It was your initial response that made me go out and see what my local model shop had in the way of servo's. Being new I thought a servo was a servo was a servo.
Then thank you for your magic response and the detail and manual therein. Tomorrows job sorted.

I must admit to having a play around with the system today and managing to blunder my way through things and ending up with it working on the stick and managing to restrict the movement but I would prefer the switch if possible.

I love the airhorn and may just crib that idea!!

Des
I have modified the transmitter to have twin self centering throttles in line with the model shops instructions but it is a mode 2 unit. Later I read something about operating twin engines on one stick. I think! That appeals to me.

Michael

Thanks for the welcome and for telling me you didn't laugh.
You are certainly right about the wealth of knowledge on the forum and the willingness of people to put in the effort to help.
Wonderful forum right across the board.

Again many thanks guys

John.

Mistrelyn

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 07:29:26 »
I found this manual on line.

John