Author Topic: Barge for my springer tug  (Read 14708 times)

tug-arlyn-nelson

Re: Barge for my springer tug
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 08:57:30 »
I get you.   I think I have about 10 hours in mine. For the amount of time it will spend in the water,  I didn't figure it needed much. I had originally planned to glass it but dropped the idea at the end and just settled for resin and paint.

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 14:30:35 »
2015-02-27 : Trials

Deck was epoxy-ed on the hull with a few layers of fiberglass (100g/mē and 50g/mē) on various spots that I deemed "critical".

Epoxy fillets were added virtually everywhere though I still might have to add a little more epoxy on the deck/hull joints. But the whole thing is already pretty strong.

Aluminium L and U profiles were added on exposed corners so as not the expose the cheap plywood.

Weight is 5.7kg (12.5lb) without ballast.

I took the barge and the trusty Sequana to the pond for the first tests on water.

Barge & Sequana -

Barge & Sequana - Springs were used to tighten everything

Sequana sailing around -

Sequana on the pond - 20kg (45lb) of lead as ballast

Here's a lousy (cellphone) video from the trials.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLhzgj9imes" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLhzgj9imes</a>

I'm tempted to install two winches on the barge instead of using springs to keep tensions on the lines connecting the tug to the barge.

Run time suffered a bit of course. After close to two hours of sailing I experienced some voltage drop (remote switch for the lights reseting itself) and decided to call it quits.

Probably getting too close to the minimum voltage required by the ESC's BEC.

Obviously some finishing work still has to be done.
- Small "caps" for the bollards
- Sanding, a lot of sanding
- Priming and painting
- Fenders (most likely: a 20mm strip of rubber all-round)

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 16:36:41 »
That's really sweet!  Your little boat must have pretty good power. Twin screw?  Nice job.

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 18:23:09 »
My springer is running a single 45mm Raboesch #174 4-blade prop which is IMHO one of the best prop type for towing. Low pitch, huge blade area.

I'm using a 800kv brushless motor on a 6v SLA battery.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 18:38:21 »
Is that a geared motor?  What rpm at full?

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 21:58:45 »
Both of you barge builders are terrific. I am so much enjoying watching your builds. I have
wanted to build a barge for ever. I made one in High School shop that I used for hanging on
as my "swim fins motor feet" pushed me along. I'm a little old for that now and your barges
coming to life before my watchful eyes have sort of taken me along to enjoying your builds
enough to sooth my tugboat and barge soul - thank you. Oh, and again here on the Forum
I learned a box of new tug building ideas and tools.

Just to illustrate how very nice your barge work is, here is a picture of a "fishing barge"
I worked on for over a month. . .two sheets of plywood. . .a ton of work and it turned
out to be a complete failure. On the positive side, I have made so many mistakes that
I almost know everything, ha, haa.

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 22:14:13 »
The fun is in the building though isn't it Michael?

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 07:28:22 »
Is that a geared motor?  What rpm at full?

Direct drive. With no load RPM at full throttle should be around 6v * 800kv = 4800 rpm.

@Michael : thanks ! Scratch building can be frustrating sometimes ! But in the end it is also rewarding. My barge project was much more simple than you fishing project. My barge is essentially a big (slightly tapered) box.

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 05:41:00 »
2015-07-26 : Paint job

I finally managed to paint the thing.

I was on a schedule (prep + 3 colors over 48hrs) so prep work was minimal - and it shows.

Two holes were drilled in the deck and eyelets were glued in place as I plan on installing a pair of winches under the deck at the stern to make coupling to the tug easier.

Paint job - Dark grey/blueish grey/medium grey

Paint job - Paint flaking off from aluminium

I only had time for a single pass of filler (and wet sanding with #600 paper) and it shows.

Let's say that my barge has dents and kinks like the real deal!

I went the cheap route for the paint: Kobra spray cans which are aimed at "street art" and are super affordable. 3.20 EUR/can (compared to 10-12 EUR/can for similar stuff in home improvement stores).

With the right nozzle/cap I really can't complain about the quality. I got a bunch of "calligraphy" wide caps which ouput a nice wide and solid pattern, much like a spray gun.

With the wide nozzle, a very decent result can be achieved with passes approximately 15cm (6") from the surface. It also wastes much less paint. I ended up only using two cans for the base color of the hull. Deck (lighter grey) took only one can of pain.

Things went wrong though: paint didn't bond to the aluminium profiles. When I took the masking tape off paint would just flake off. Aluminium surfaces had been scuffed/sanded but obviously that wasn't enough. I'll try to fix this with with a brush.

In retrospect I should have epoxied the aluminium parts back in February when I waterproofed everything instead of wiping off epoxy. It would have been a good primer.

Last step was bonding a 20mm by 5mm strip of rubber from Mobile Marine Models all around as fender.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 07:24:39 »
That looks great.  Aluminum must be primed with its own type of primer or nothing will stick to it.  Look forward to seeing your boat shoving it around all done.