Author Topic: home made Bow Thruster  (Read 2159 times)

PHILNZ

• Nelson sunshine capital of NEW ZEALAND
home made Bow Thruster
« on: May 07, 2014, 00:31:01 »
Hi there , I got bored and dont have a build on the go so thought hmmm bow thrusters are very expensive i bet i could make one. The total cost of the project was $10 for pvc pipe ends that i didnt have, otherwise had everything else. The project took a total of 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
The main body is 65mm waste pipe,tubes 42mm watepipe,mabuchi 550 55t motor,Brass paddle, pvc glue for joint re-inforced with polyester fiberglass.Works a treat in the tub and pushes large volumes of water and at first forced my hand across. Very happy so now i have to look at a 5-6ft build lol. May use an old bath tub for it.
with the design of the thruster i can reduce down to 18mm tube with 35mm main body.

PHILNZ

Re: home made Bow Thruster
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 00:32:44 »
more

PHILNZ

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 00:33:42 »
more  No seal needed for the motor cap, it fits firmly with petroleum grease on the rim for water tightness ,i didnt want to fix it perm as to service .
The aluminium plates top and bottom have grease sandwich between for motor protection .
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 00:40:50 by PHILNZ »

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 08:46:00 »
Thank you Philnz for posting your bow thruster design. I was enjoying my morning
cup of coffee and as I studied your pictures they gave me several pocket fulls of
new ideas for my tugboat thrusting needs. I'm munch on your ideas all day. This Forum
is a "Gold Mine" of inspiration thanks to you and all who send in pictures.

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

boman

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 02:38:12 »
Lovely. Thank you for sharing.

PHILNZ

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 01:00:14 »
Thanks boman, It was just abit of boredom and Kiwi can do attitude.