Author Topic: allan b (ruxton explorer) build  (Read 18918 times)

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
Re: allan b (ruxton explorer) build
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2011, 16:34:36 »
Hi Wishkah - welcome!
I have one as well - I'll check but I think that has to come off - the deck will sit inside the hull and the fendering will cover that seam. Others can correct me if I'm wrong but that was how I did the first one.

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2011, 17:05:28 »
Barry:  I sent Kieran a PM, hopefully he gets back to you.
MIKE

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2011, 20:20:04 »
Thanks Mike, Mike, and Suds! I emailed Gary a copy of the picture too. He has been very good at getting back to me within a day or two. He said that the mold was setup for vacuum bagging but he lays up the hulls by hand and thickness may vary. I looks like the hull flange will need some sanding to get a nice fit with the deck.

I just ordered the running gear yesterday after I had a chance to look the hull and plans over. I should have the parts in a week or so. I'll be spending my time sanding and fitting the hull and deck to fit and fairing the gel coat until the parts arrive. Our LHS closed up just over a year ago so I have to order everything online unless I make a trip across the sound.

Cheers
Barry

tbone

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2011, 21:56:31 »
What do you plan to use for running gear?

Maybe you should start a build thread for the tug, I'm hoping to build one myself eventually.

Tbone

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2011, 07:36:33 »
Radio Control Boat Modeler ran an article on building this when it was first developed. Someone on here might have a copy of it - can't locate mine.

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2011, 10:16:14 »
I heard Back from Gary and this area should be removed. I really like the fact that there is recessed flange moulded into the hull for the deck! Because of the hand layup, the flange area where the deck fits into the hull will need some sanding for a good fit and an even seam.

I ordered the Robbe 6:1 reduction gear and motor and 40mm nozzle and prop. For electrics I am planning on a pair of 6000mAh 2s Lipo in to a Novak rock crawler speed control.

I found a scaned copy of Radio Control Boat Modler article on this boat and I still have it. I've been wanting to build this boat for some time.

ray28507

• Admiral Poster
  • shuswap
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2011, 13:18:33 »
I heard Back from Gary and this area should be removed. I really like the fact that there is recessed flange moulded into the hull for the deck! Because of the hand layup, the flange area where the deck fits into the hull will need some sanding for a good fit and an even seam.

I ordered the Robbe 6:1 reduction gear and motor and 40mm nozzle and prop. For electrics I am planning on a pair of 6000mAh 2s Lipo in to a Novak rock crawler speed control.

I found a scaned copy of Radio Control Boat Modler article on this boat and I still have it. I've been wanting to build this boat for some time.
   it would be nice to see you do a build log  of  your tug   regards ray
B.C tugs >>  ken mackenzie~07   nellie irene~07    freewinds ~04       sidewinder'in b.c~11'   iron horse~12  malley b~16  western mariner ~14  shuswap ~17
  u.s.a tugs> >  nanuq~11  in the build  hunter  - david j