Author Topic: Smit Nederland  (Read 4917 times)

Terence

Smit Nederland
« on: July 05, 2014, 02:22:04 »
I'm still building the Billings' Nederland, and as usual there's lots of detail missing and out-of-scale components/materials.  So I'm making many sub-assemblies from scratch, often with copper sheet, which is easy to work and solder; the finished part is more in scale, and there's no grain-filling before painting.   But I'm stuck with the identity and function of the rectangular box-shaped thing is that sits on the deck between the funnels?  Is it a box? a roof hatch? air intake? or what?  The drawing on the Billings' plan is indistinct and I've looked at very many pictures of the Nederland/Rusland/Sweden/Denemarken (they all seem to be the same tug!)  without luck.
Grateful for any help.

Cheers
Terence

des

Re: Smit Nederland
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 13:49:18 »
Hi Terence

Can you give us photo of the area in question on one of the prototype vessels, or of the kit drawing.  It might make it easier for someone else to identify it.

Des.

ixion

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 22:39:09 »
It was a storage locker and also used as a seat. They were later removed.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/598/varenmetdesmitrusland22.jpg

Terence

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 02:19:07 »
IXION
Thanks for info - saves me trying to make it look like an air intake or something technical!  Thanks too des - you're right it would be much easier if I'd posted a picture, which is what I'll do next time I run into trouble.
Thanks
Terence

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 07:21:54 »
Thanks for that link ixion.  That pic gives a lot of detail that my Ned didn't have on the build drawings.  (If I ever get the urge to dress it up a bit)

ixion

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 08:17:04 »
I used to have a SMIT FINLAND

des

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 14:17:16 »
Hi Terence

I note Ixiom's comment that this item was a box or seat.  But it looks to me, by its size and location, that it could be a battery box or a magazine.

Battery boxes for radios and / or emergency lighting and similar equipment, were nearly always mounted high on the superstructure.  I've even seen them sometimes on the wheelhouse roof.  The purpose is to ensure the batteries remain dry as the rest of the ship sinks.  They were usually installed exposed to the weather to ensure that hydrogen and / or chlorine gas did not accumulate in an enclosed space.

A magazine would be used to house a rocket gun, often used to fire messenger lines onto the ship to be towed.  I am dubious that this box is a magazine however, 'cos they are usually painted red.

As a result, I am led to conclude that the item is a battery box.

If Ixiom is correct and they were later removed, they would have simply been relocated.  If the batteries had been upgraded to sealed Gel or AGM type, instead of open-vented wet cells, then they could have been installed indoors somewhere where they can't be seen, and are therefore irrelevant to us modellers.

Des

mcwee

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 18:33:49 »
Hi all, just a thought but if it were a battery box wouldn't there be some vent in the top to stop the build up of explosive atmosphere in the sealed box?
rgds

des

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 01:47:26 »
Hi McWee

There would not necessarily be a separately visible vent to a battery box.  Adequate ventilation can be provided by other, non-visible means - eg, by making the sides shorter than the front and back sides, and bringing the sides of the lid down further.  This can provide good ventilation openings at each end, while not allowing seawater or rain to easily splash onto the batteries within.

Des.

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 07:00:37 »
Does your drawing plans show wooden slats on the top side of this box?  When I built my Ned, (about 20 years ago) it showed these wooden slats on the top side almost like it was meant to stand on.

FsASTSyd1

• Site Supporter
  • I love cooking with Wine, sometimes I put it in the food
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 09:37:50 »
Just had a look at the David Metcalf drawing for the 1/28th ish Smit Nederland and he describes this item as "Deck Locker with wooden slatted top". Another of those items that seem to move or even be removed at some stage in the tugs life or even its location.  Hope that some help.
Syd J

Terence

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 12:57:18 »
Does your drawing plans show wooden slats on the top side of this box?  When I built my Ned, (about 20 years ago) it showed these wooden slats on the top side almost like it was meant to stand on.
I've now found enough pictures to confirm that it looks like a storage locker, which could store anything, obviously.  My main concern was that I didn't know how well detailed it ought to be.  The Billings kit supplies 3 mm x 0.7 mm mahogany strips to be glued to the top.  Fine if they're meant to be some sort of slatted seat perhaps, but if the slats were mean to be metal, I would use brass or copper strips because there's no grain filling required, and the finished job is much neater.  Trouble is, when to stop putting in more and more small detail ...!
I'm very self-critical, and since this is my first tug I'm taking particular care with getting the details right.  It's going well, but slowly, and thanks to all of you that help every so often.

Cheers
Terence

boman

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 16:43:59 »
I have posted this before. It may help. It may not.

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 20:14:45 »
The only person who is going to know if it is metal or wood slats is you since they are going to be painted anyway.  The choice is all yours.  lol

Terence

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 21:03:08 »
Thanks olscuzbut.  If the slats were wood I'd varnish them.  And if I got it wrong I'd never stop worrying that someone would notice ...