Author Topic: Cowl Vent info/help  (Read 1464 times)

Kev30

Cowl Vent info/help
« on: July 21, 2014, 11:57:12 »
I was wondering if any members on this forum had any photo's of a big/ bulbous cowl vent?
The reason I'm asking is that I'm restoring a 6'2" long steam straight running boat and thing are going to get mighty hot inside when its running so I'm try to get as much air circulating around inside and one of the forms of getting air in is via 4x large cowl vents.
I'm looking at making the four I need but haven't come across any decent pictures of the design I'm after. The opening will be approximately 32mm - 40mm and a stem of around 18 - 22mm in diameter and not very tall, I've seen them on various custom launches but can't lay my hands on any photo's if anyone has any pictures of a cowl vent in proportion similar to this what I've mentioned I would be extremely grateful.

Regards
Kevin

CGAux26

Re: Cowl Vent info/help
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 15:53:18 »
A friend made some for me from ˝" PVC pipe elbows.  Sounds like you need bigger ones, maybe 1-˝" size.  Sorry, I have no pictures.
Dave

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 20:04:04 »
I also need a set or two of the bulbous cowl vents. I found this resource:

(My vents might be best suited for modelers needing several large parts; the largest listed uses a 3/4″ (19mm) tube, with a 1-1/2″ (38mm) diameter cowl. The smaller vents might be a bit clunky due to the minimum wall thickness I needed to apply.  For smaller vents, commercially available cast parts should also be looked at. But you’re not likely to find anything like the larger parts I offer here.)

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/patmat?url=%2Fusershop&rows=3#

I signed up for this fellow's Newsletter. . .great parts,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 06:06:41 »
Here is a link to the article on cowl vents on Pat's blog. I used them on my Franklin--very well done:

http://matthewsmodelmarine.wordpress.com/writings/matthews-cowl-vents-for-model-ships/

VGJQ