Author Topic: Smit tug funnel details  (Read 3446 times)

Terence

Smit tug funnel details
« on: July 24, 2014, 06:51:16 »
Does anybody have details of the funnel vent "hatch doors" as on the Nederland et al?  As usual, the Billings drawings are vague, and in particular, what do the struts look like (the ones that hold the upper vents open)? I've made tiny hinges for the hatch doors from pictures I've found on the internet, but nothing that's clear enough to show the support struts.
Thanks
Terence

boman

Re: Smit tug funnel details
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 00:11:39 »
No sorry. All the info I have, doesn't show any specific detail.

Try Goggling Smit Japan. There are a couple of Hi res pics taken from astern, that show some detail. The layout is similar to the Nederland, although it is a bigger tug.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 00:23:26 by boman »

boman

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 00:27:03 »
Smit Zweden, Smit Rusland, Smit Danemarken. Appear to be sister ships.

boman

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 00:29:12 »
Smit Zweden again

Terence

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 08:30:05 »
Thanks to all for info and hi-res pictures.  It does seem that Nederland, Rusland, Finland et al are very similar/re-named tugs, but there are deviations in various parts so I guess that I'll do something that's realistic and fairly close to the pictures. I hadn't looked at Smit Japan pictures, but some of the fittings on it are used across the Smit tug range - very useful.  Each upper hatch door appears to have a strut that's hinged on the funnel superstructure, and swings up to clip somehow to the lower edges of the door. 
I noticed that the Billings Nederland plans specify louvres on the lower openings only, but the pictures of real tugs show the upper openings with louvres. This'll take years ...

FsASTSyd1

• Site Supporter
  • I love cooking with Wine, sometimes I put it in the food
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 06:33:42 »
Excuse the quality, quick "Snaps" but may be of use to you
Syd J

Terence

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 00:31:32 »
Thanks for pictures FsASTSyd1.  Much better than Billings' drawing and all clear now.  I have noticed that none of the current versions of the Nederland (i.e. Finland, Rusland and so on) have exhaust caps, but instead have extended and angled exhaust pipes, and I'll probably copy those.

Thanks again
Terence

FsASTSyd1

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 05:54:08 »
Just more of the "Mods" over the years, different angles, caps or no caps, short or long pipes and those flaps seem to have been any colour that they had spare paint for, of course they have had more than 30 years to ring the changes, never mind getting into the different safety etc items that seem to be on or off wherever they happened to be working. I suspect that most modellers will in the end pick a couple of photos of a particular setup, or year, and stick to that. 
Syd J

Terence

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 20:51:39 »
Syd J
Yes, I've decided to copy Smit Rusland, since I found a good video showing the tug in action.  It's a pity that Billings' drawings are so bad, particularly for beginners like me, and it seems that the drawings you have are very much better.  Are they from a kit, or are they available somewhere to buy?
Thanks
T

boman

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 21:09:54 »
Syd J
Yes, I've decided to copy Smit Rusland, since I found a good video showing the tug in action.  It's a pity that Billings' drawings are so bad, particularly for beginners like me, and it seems that the drawings you have are very much better.  Are they from a kit, or are they available somewhere to buy?
Thanks
T

They are much better than the plans I have got. I would be interested to know if we can get them too..

FsASTSyd1

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 04:55:18 »
Originally from "Model Boats,  I bought a set from Nexus, and after I believe a couple of other changes now supplied by "My Hobby Store" as "Smit Nederland  MM1407  Tug Plan". It is by David Metcalf for a 1/28th (About 40 inch) bread and butter or plank on frame, it consists of 5 large sheets, came out in the mid to late 1980s so will show the Ned in its early days. Now the hard part, cost is now 27.50 plus postage and packing I suppose! There is also a 2 sheet 1/50th for considerably less ( MM1409) and less detail of course, they used to do a vacuum formed hull for this one. Trust this is some help.
Syd J

Terence

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 00:32:58 »
Hello Syd J
Thanks for info on My Hobby Store.  I've ordered the plans and hopefully I'll get on a bit faster with the build.  As I'm new to boats,  I spend too much time trying to figure out what a particular item is, what it does, and how detailed I ought to make it.
This forum is really very useful!
Thanks
Terence

Terence

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 07:22:12 »
This is really going to show my ignorance ...
I now have the My Hobby Store plans for the Smit Nederland, and they're pretty good, (thanks Syd J) but in one respect they've added to my confusion:  is the mast hinged so that it can be lowered?  And if so, where's the hinge axis?  The Billings plans are typically vague, and the Hobby Store plans show lots more detail, including a winch to lower the mast (a detail missing from the Billings plan), but the axis is not shown.  Further, if the mast is hinged, how is it locked when in the vertical, and supported when lowered?  Or is this a detail too far, and on models the mast is fixed in the vertical position?
I get frustrated: having reasonable modelling skills, they're not much good without a good knowledge of the thing you're building!
Thanks for any info.
Terence