Author Topic: Lead Casting  (Read 1201 times)

freightliner009

Lead Casting
« on: July 24, 2014, 07:15:40 »
Guys, looking at endless YT vids on casting lead (have done white metal before) I used to have a Lee alloy melter but can't find it, I see cast iron or stainless steel melting pots are used.

I thought I was being clever, in Argos clearance they had a cast iron fondu set reduced right down to 8.99 so I got one. Nice size cast iron pot but it wasn't until I unpacked it I saw a big label stuck on it saying 'not for use on hob'. Anyone know why? It's quite thick cast iron, the base is even thicker. I was going to put it inside another pot just for safety reasons incase it cracked to contain any spillage but anyone have any idea why that label may have been on there?
Proud  father of a new Hobby Engine 1/35 scale Southampton tug and 1/24 scale hand crafted Zeeland tug

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
Re: Lead Casting
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 21:46:23 »
Hello Freightliner009,

I work with making lead parts, usually in the ballast department. I researched your question
about the label on your cast iron pot.

First I looked around to find out what a "Hob" is. . .and I found that it's  the "burners" or
"stove top elements" on the kitchen stove. For electric hobs, it is important that the pot
have a flat bottom so as to absorb the element's heat evenly.

I think the label is saying that your pot is not flat or has a built in, recessed design in its
bottom. Or, maybe the cast iron pot is some special alloy and is only for baking.

I look forward to hearing what you find out. Poring lead is quite dangerous in my book
and so I would like to know why the label in on your pot so that I don't find out the
hard way, why.

Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

freightliner009

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 01:32:26 »
Hi 2Tugboats,

Yep, it has a flat bottom, it's from a fondu set and came with quite a large spirit burner and a cast iron stand. The stand has 3 legs and the top of it where the pot sits is flat underneath and slightly concaved at the edge but the pot sits inside the concaved part which is a solid cast iron disc too.

So I have spirit burner on the bottom which heats up the underside of the solid topped stand and the heat transferrance from the stand eminates upwards to heat the melting pot.
Proud  father of a new Hobby Engine 1/35 scale Southampton tug and 1/24 scale hand crafted Zeeland tug

freightliner009

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 06:17:09 »
Right, on for lead casting tonight at last, I have my graphite crucible, heavy duty stainless steel pot and an induction hot plate oh an my ingot moulds. Should be fun, I used to like doing this process a few years ago making lead canons,soldiers and horses  :) :)