Author Topic: Given Up Before I Started!  (Read 5904 times)

freightliner009

Given Up Before I Started!
« on: August 07, 2014, 10:08:14 »
I'm starting to think this hobby is NOT for me, I've been getting my Southampton tug ready for her maiden voyage this coming Saturday. Range testing went fine last night and today I thought I'd just give her quick test in the bath just to make sure everything was ok and it was just as well I did otherwise she would have sailed off and not came back. One minute in the bath all is working fine, just needed to reverse the rudder on the TX, then......nothing, it all stopped working and I haven't had a stir out of her since. There appears to be no light on in the Orange RX (usually there is), the Viper Marine 25 ESC has a solid red light on ut no throttle or rudder controls, they've gone.
Should the RX have its own power supply? (worked fine before without)

I tried poking the motor wires into the battery and nothing.

All this suppression on the back of the motors is it all necessary when being run on 2.4Ghz? I'm getting seriously close to jacking this all in, it's just one thing after another and I've not even sailed them yet! Hellllp!
Proud  father of a new Hobby Engine 1/35 scale Southampton tug and 1/24 scale hand crafted Zeeland tug

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
Re: Given Up Before I Started!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 10:12:02 »
What TX are you running ?
If your TX has multi-model capabilities are you sure you've selected the right model ?

If you have the right model selected (or your TX is only single model) you could do the binding process again.

freightliner009

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 11:25:11 »
I'm running a Spektrum DX6i, checked the model number which was fine. I'm using an Orange RX, this used to flash until the binding process and then the light would go solid, no light in it at all, tried a second unit and it was the same, I can't bind it until there is a flashing light in it.
Proud  father of a new Hobby Engine 1/35 scale Southampton tug and 1/24 scale hand crafted Zeeland tug

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 11:51:18 »
First on your DX6i set modulation type to DSM2 or DSMX depending on your exact OrangeRX receiver (more likely going to be DSM2 - its on the label on the RX case).

See here, page 13: https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/DX6i-Manual_EN.pdf

Then power the TX off.

Put the bind plug in the BAT/BIND port of the receiver. Turn on the ESC (plugged into the throttle channel, you could also move it to another channel it doesn't matter). The RX should now flash quickly meaning it has entered bind mode. Remove the bind plug. The flashing should slow down.

Now power the TX on while pressing the Trainer/Bind button. TX should display "Binding". Keep pressing the bind button until the light on the RX goes solid. Then release the Bind button.

If at that the first step the RX doesn't flash: either it might be dead (or the bind plug might be broken but well....) or the ESC is simply not powering it. Is the battery charged ? It the battery is depleted it might not be able to power the RX (BEC shutting of).

If you have another ESC or a standalone receiver battery, try it out. And move the ESC or battery to another port on the RX.

des

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 13:59:44 »
G'day Andy.

Always try the simple things first.  Are the batteries in the boat flat?  Or those in the radio transmitter?  Loose wiring connection (or receiver plug connection)?  If you have a cutout switch on your battery, is it switched ON?  Are you powering up the receiver before your transmitter (as you should), and not the other way about?

From what you have described, it is more likely to be something simple.  A component failure is not out of the question, but is probably unlikely, unless you got something wet.  (And yes - all those capacitors on your motors are necessary.  But they are not likely to be the cause of your problem.)

If all else fails, take the whole thing down to the lake at a time when other RC modellers are likely to be there - someone will be able (and usually very willing) to help you out.

Des.

des

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 17:25:30 »
Of course, I overlooked the simplest thing of all - have you popped a fuse somewhere?

Des.

freightliner009

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 23:13:00 »
Guys,

I've tried all that, the rx was binding fine before but seems dead now as there is no visible light going on anymore, I tried 2 other rx's with the same results. I will check the DMS2/ DSMX settings but it was all working fine before it just died  :'(

Does anyone know how to reset a Viper Marine 25 ESC?

Does anyone know what motors would be suitable to replace the stock motors? The motors are funny looking things, really thin looking and concealed in a black case. They seem to drive the props directly via one large and one small cogs (is this some sort of gearing?). It looks like I cannot use 'normal' motors as the prop shafts are down way too low to be able to join them up to standard motor shafts.

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 00:07:55 »
Quote from: freightliner009
I've tried all that, the rx was binding fine before but seems dead now as there is no visible light going on anymore, I tried 2 other rx's with the same results. I will check the DMS2/ DSMX settings but it was all working fine before it just died  :'(

Does anyone know how to reset a Viper Marine 25 ESC?

I assume you have an ESC for your Zeeland too ? What if you plug one of your RXs into your Zeeland's ESC (put the bind plug in, so that it forces the LED flashing) ?

Did you check (or charge) the battery ?

The motors will probably work fine. Get your boad running as she is now before you start replacing everything.

tugboyben

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 01:09:42 »
Morning freight

Just an idea i run the DX6i with the Orange RX's i bind mine with a 4.8volt battery pack first then fit in the boat

Jason
kirkleesmodelboatclub

freightliner009

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 05:11:10 »
Hi guys,

I tried the Orange rx on the Southampton (this was working on the Zeeland btw) but I've not tried it on the Zeeland since removing it so I will try that. Binding has never been a problem in the past, I've misplaced my small battery pack to try that just incase but as soon as it turns up I'll try that too.
One thing I have just noticed is a small piece of metal (wire like but non bendable) just hanging from the suppressors area, about 1cm long but not attached to anything.

freightliner009

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 08:35:53 »
I'm not sure what is actually happening here but I took it all apart and it started working again with a different battery pack, but a couple of hours later after being switched off it's dead again. This proves the motors are ok, what I did do was leave the battery connected but just switched it of using the on/off switch, is it possible the battery is draining some how even though the on/off switch is off? I'm just charging the battery to see if it works on a freshly charged one.

All I did was like you change the esc (and the battery pack) and the rx to Orange. When it decides to work there's a flashing light inside the rx which goes solid once the 2.4Ghz tx has picked it up. But when it doesn't work the is a very faint but solid light inside the rx that just isn't right. Each time the ESC is showing a solid red light.

des

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 14:23:00 »
Hi Andy

It sounds like you've got a flat battery in your boat.  It's unlikely that the battery is discharging through any external circuit if your On-Off switch is Off.  But it is possible for it to discharge itself if it is faulty - but that is not a common problem, unless the battery has been allowed to remain very flat for a very long time before being recharged.

If you've got another battery, swap it over and see how you go.  if the boat behaves properly this would indicate that the original battery may be faulty, but it is not complete confirmation.

Meanwhile, keep the original battery on charge for a while.

Are you using a "smart" charger, or a cheapie?  A cheapie (unregulated) charger can destroy a small sealed battery if the charger is left connected for a long-ish time, whereas a good "smart" charger can often recover a flat battery, and you can leave it connected for weeks if you want.

Des.

freightliner009

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 03:48:35 »
Hi Des,

Interesting you say that, I put another battery on and it worked fine, I put the boat back together re-tried it a few hours later and it was dead again. So I put another on fully charged but it was still dead. I use a smart charger for all my rc batteries btw.
I'm now starting to think could it be the esc? That lights up solid red whether it's working or not but when it isn't working the bright light in the Orange rx is so dim it's almost non-existent.

freightliner009

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 06:15:27 »
Calimero,

I went to the Spektrum link and checked the tx but could find ni menu for modulation on the tx?

Andy

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 06:53:52 »
You have to be in "Setup mode". Power the TX down. Press the roller down and keep it depressed. Power the TX on. It should enter Setup mode.  You should then be able to scroll to MODULATION.

But it is unlikely it has anything to do with your issue . Like des suggested I'd keep a close eye on the battery and check it with a multimeter.  As a rule of thumb when you're done sailing, unplug the battery from the ESC.