Author Topic: Given Up Before I Started!  (Read 7963 times)

freightliner009

Re: Given Up Before I Started!
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 07:48:09 »
I have just been told by Wheelspin Models that the Orange rx's that are being sold on EBay are snides, this might explain why the internal programming light is messing about like it is. I think the esc is fine and powers up ok, it's when the rx plays up it doesn't accept any commands from the tx which seems quite likely.
I do have the original micro rx that came with the DX6i but I can't seem to get that to bind either even though it does light up correctly.
Proud  father of a new Hobby Engine 1/35 scale Southampton tug and 1/24 scale hand crafted Zeeland tug

freightliner009

Re: Given Up Before I Started!-Sorted I Think
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 08:10:05 »
Guys,

I think I may have got there, after the heads up from Wheelspin Models about the Snide Orange receivers being sold on FleaBay I just managed to bind the original AR6100e rx that came with the DX6i and all is working again. Not wishing to get too excited at this stage I am going to turn it all off via the on/off switch on the tug but leave the freshly charged 2200mAh battery attached and I will power up again in a couple of hours and see if she still works. So watch this space............ ;)
Proud  father of a new Hobby Engine 1/35 scale Southampton tug and 1/24 scale hand crafted Zeeland tug

freightliner009

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 12:32:39 »
Well, finally things are looking up for a change, after installing the AR6100e rx and leaving it for a few hours and I've just switched it on and it is still working! I'll now leave it over night and see if all is well tomorrow morning.

There is definitely something not quite right with these Orange rx's. I kept trying to bind them last night using a spare battery pack and all I was getting was a very low static dim light and I could do nothing with them. Tonight however, I plugged in the battery in turn and they both had the bright flashing internal light that was missing last night, most strange, anyway I cannot afford to chance using them after what has happened on either the Southampton or the Zeeland and so I have decided to bin them. So if anyone is thinking of buying an Orange rx unit just be careful what you are actually buying. I am not referring to the 'proper' Orange units which work fine but these copies are so good you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. The two types I have are the 2.4Ghz R610 and R620 - beware!  angry

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 14:03:17 »
It is all quite strange. Again, did you check your battery at all stages with a multimeter ?

freightliner009

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 14:14:44 »
Yep, batteries were all fine, will be interesting to see if she works in the morning  :)

freightliner009

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 02:40:24 »
Seems like the Orange rx's were at fault here after all. I left the battery overnight connected to the esc but switched the on/off switch off (had to replicate the same set up to get validated results), switched everything on this morning and everything is just fine!

So I think I will be filing these so called 'Orange' receivers in the bin, certainly will not buy them again.

I now have a Spektrum AR6100e micro rx in the Southampton and I'm going to stick with the Spektrum rx's in future too, I'm going to get a Spektrum 6200 with satellite for the Zeeland. I thought I'd go for that one as the main rx will be buried in the thick wooden hull I thought I could mount the satellite part in the wheelhouse as I won't want her sailing off into the sunset and I can't get her back and there will be 360 degree access to the satellite aerial too. Better to be safe than sorry and it doesn't cost that much more for the satellite version either.

freightliner009

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 03:44:04 »
Can anyone tell me approx, in feet, what sort of range one is to expect from a 2.4Ghz system please?

Will windy conditions affect the signal?

I just got my boy to walk off with the tx to see what sort of range I can get on the boat, it is windy today, the furthest he got was around 90 steps before the electronics started operating the throttle by itself! Bearing in mind each of his steps is equal to approx. 2 feet in length, which equates to 180 feet approx. Is this normal?

I am more than worried now that should the boat go beyond this on the water she will just keep on going and not come back again. Any ideas anyone?

Jarvo

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 08:10:14 »
HI Andy

Back from my hold, Were is the receiver antenna? the short silver end needs to be sticking up to increase the range, also no metal around the antenna at all, causing shielding.

On my Amsterdam the receiver is fairly high in the hull with only wood around it, the antenna is taped to the side of the hatch so it sticks up into the raised rear hatch, it is probably level with the gunwales.

My range with a Radiolink 2.4 is at least 150 meters

Mark
Etherow Model Boat Club

freightliner009

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 08:53:36 »
Hi Mark,

Hope you had a nice holiday mate?

The rx is just under the superstructure hatch just under the decking, this is on the Southampton tug not the Zeeland. But in this instance the rx was sitting in the open on top of the deck and I'm only getting about a third of your range  ??? I'm starting to think now that perhaps it's the transmitter at fault. Is DSM2 used by Futaba and others or is it specific to Spektrum?

I've just sent a message to Horizon Hobbies to see what they may come up with. I've hardly used the tx since buying it about 4 years ago, but I may just dump it and go for a Futaba or something, what do you think?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:17:52 by freightliner009 »

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 13:31:53 »
I also get 150m from my DX7s with either original Spektrum RXs or Hobby King OrangeRX RXs. I haven't tried any further (too small a pond or my eyes are a bigger problem than 2.4Ghz signals).

DSM, DSM2, DSMX, DSMR are all Spektrum specific protocols. Futaba uses another set of protocols.

Jarvo

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 13:43:05 »
HI Andy

Hols great, had a few sailing sessions with the weymouth club, had a thought on your post, could you batteries in the transmitter be faulty? you said that it not been used much for several years, try a voltage test on them, just like the tests on the Zeeland batteries.

Calimero is right, each individual manufacturer has there own coding system, like i mentioned before, my gear is fit cheap Radiolink, no bells or whistles, 30 gets you going.

Try the battery test, both TX and RX i could be that simple

Mark
Etherow Model Boat Club

freightliner009

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 10:00:51 »
Got a Futaba Skysport T4YF tx today, bound the rx and sent my boy off again to do a range test. It stopped working at about the same distance as the DX6i, the only difference being when it goes out of range the motors just stop working whereas  with the DX6i the motors kicked in and it wouldn't stop. One thing quite noticeable is the length of the rx antenna, it's about 3 times the length of those on the Orange rx's and even longer than that compared to the AR6100e rx.

There is a range test function on the Futaba, you hold down the RF switch when you turn it on and keep it depressed. It says it cuts the transmitter power for 90 seconds (to save you walking miles I guess), walk off to about a 30 foot distance and try the controls, the Southampton passed that test ok.

The replacement upgrade motors came too but they can wait for a while, I just want to go sailing!

Jarvo

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 12:10:11 »
Hi Andy

Seems odd, is there anything around that could overwhelm the signal?  power lines, power substation, underground cables.

If you Southampton is almost ready, take her to your sailing water, test the range again, think there is something in your environment affecting the range.

Take her out gently, increasing the range gradually, might help if you have a rescue boat available!!!

Mark
Etherow Model Boat Club

freightliner009

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 12:47:50 »
Is a bit odd, but I was indoors the other side of an open window and my boy was at the end of the Close which is a straight line.
No power cables, lots of WiFi in the Close and the router in my front room could either interfere? The reason I ask is I have a flourescent magnifying light and that plays havoc when it is anywhere near my digitally controlled locos on my model railway.

I have no serviceable second boat (Zeeland won't be ready for a while), so it looks like a ball of string might be a good purchase, at least I could pull her back in if anything untoward should happen. Anyway, she passed the range test on the Futaba transmitter, it produces a power down mode which reduces the signal strength you then walk 30 paces and if it all works 'Bob's your auntie' and away you go.

Jarvo

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2014, 15:05:26 »
Hi Andy

2.4Ghz is very line of sight, don't know if glass affects it but it may do, ball of string is good, just remember the props and rudders

Good luck and remember the pics

Mark
Etherow Model Boat Club