Author Topic: Given Up Before I Started!  (Read 6831 times)

des

Re: Given Up Before I Started!
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2014, 02:10:58 »
Hi Andy

I'm not sure I'd use the ball of string method to retrieve your expensive model boat if you lose effective radio control.  It will work as long as the boat remains on the surface where it belongs, but if it hit something, sinks and settles on the bottom the string may not be adequate.

Certainly take the boat down to the lake, but then moor it to something.  Get it running, then walk away.  That way you won't lose the boat.  And if you get an excessive amount of water into the boat for any reason you can recover it easily.

I'd only let the boat run free once I'm completely confident with the boat and the controls.

Des.

freightliner009

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2014, 03:27:48 »
Hi Mark,

Yes, the Sothampton has a chunky upside down 'U' shaped tow bar on the stern deck which will help to keep the string away from the rudders and props. I shall venture out next week for the maiden voyage and see what happens  :)

I Love the feel of the new Futaba SkySport too and at least I know if it does go out of range the failsafe will just cut the motors, I can then reel her in on the string, but initially I will push it to see how far it does go, use the string, then I'll know how far I can send her in future without the string on.
Proud  father of a new Hobby Engine 1/35 scale Southampton tug and 1/24 scale hand crafted Zeeland tug

Jarvo

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2014, 11:45:50 »
Hi Andy

Good luck, choose a calm day and let me know if it was a success.

Mark
Etherow Model Boat Club

freightliner009

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2014, 12:11:13 »
Cheers Mark,will do, I'll try and get some video footage too.
Proud  father of a new Hobby Engine 1/35 scale Southampton tug and 1/24 scale hand crafted Zeeland tug