Author Topic: ATB x 2  (Read 37984 times)

towboatjoe

• Towboat Joe
Re: ATB x 2
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 03:40:27 »
Looks absolutely beautiful. Makes me want to start on mine.

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 08:29:36 »
HI STEVE ; real niece work . Is your ply laser cut ,as I noticed that dark line on the edge of the plywood .

PUFFIN

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 08:37:24 »
Looks mighty fine there!! 8) 8)

Lot's of work, those bulwarks, huh?

Cheers, and WELL DONE :)
MIKE

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 11:56:16 »
Puffin they are laser cut I'm a measure twice, cut 3 times kind of guy so the precision and labour saving really appealed. After I had drawn up the plans I contacted a few laser cutting companies and checked out the comparative costs. Compared to many nights of hand cutting out hundreds of complicated shaped objects it's not a bad alternative. The laser can cut a sheet 800 x 450mm up to 3mm ply. The detail achievable on 0.8mm ply is pretty good. I'm pretty good at the CAD part so drawing up the parts wasn't too hard. The drawing time and cost involved ($40 to cut a sheet, 5 sheets per boat) isn't too bad and it makes the build a lot quicker plus I get quite a few spares as well. And I could never hand cut some the parts as well as the laser.
The hull frames, decks, bulwark frames and most of the superstructure are all laser cut. Once cut the parts need to be washed and lightly sanded and they're ready to use. It goes together like a kitset.
Joe I'm in Wellington, New Zealand, Google Earth 41 18' 16.55"  174 47' 59.23". How's your ATB coming along?

towboatjoe

• Towboat Joe
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 15:53:00 »
I haven't started the Dorothy Ann as of yet. I just finished a barge for United Barge Lines and got a small crane flat and boat to finish. I'll probably get started on it this Fall. I'll be watching the way you do things since the tugs are a lot alike.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 17:19:00 »
I just checked the date on the last post and I've been inactive for about 10 months. however I've recently dusted off the project and got back to work.
First job was to add the fender bracing brackets 380 per boat. Even with a cutting jig it took several evenings to cut them all and several more to glue them.
The anodising plates are in place and the hulls are primed and ready for their first top coats.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 17:24:02 »
All set to paint

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 22:53:38 »
Welcome back sea monkey  ;)

I have just read all of this thread and am certainly looking forward to seeing your progress  :) :)

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 23:17:48 »
I second Dans thought....Welcome back and keep the photos coming. A great build so far! :) :)
Barry

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 04:00:35 »
Great work there. It is difficult to cut so many pieces exactly the same especially when they are side by side and any difference stands out. Yours looks like good little soldiers in parade formation. Nice job.
VGJQ

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 08:26:25 »
First class work  there SM :) :) :)

Looking forward to seeing more.....and it's great to have ya' back!!

...Cheers...
MIKE

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 09:42:47 »
HI SEA MONKEY ; LOOKING GREAT . How expenceive isw it to have your plans laser cut . I does make a great job and does save hundreds of hours of cutting out .   Keep us posted on your progress .          PUFFIN

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 20:35:54 »
I drew up the very intricate parts to be etched out of 0.3mm brass sheet: window frames, companionways, vents, louvres, grills, valve handles, etc. Doubled up on the bits I thought might get damaged in the build but I'm pretty pleased with the results for a first time. I was a bit too ambitious with the air-conditioning unit intakes (blank circles, bottom left) the aircon fans are in the centre. Two units per boat.
Next time I'll know how much detail the etching can hold. Might even try some double sided stuff like hatch plating and rivets, and thinner brass for the louvres so they fold easier.

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 00:28:57 »
Sea Monkey,

How about a class in etching? I am certain many of us would love to know how to do it... :) :)
Barry

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 01:10:16 »
Sea Monkey,

How about a class in etching? I am certain many of us would love to know how to do it... :) :)

Thats a great idea for a new thread  :) I am certainly interested  :D

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !