Author Topic: ATB x 2  (Read 37985 times)

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
Re: ATB x 2
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2009, 02:24:25 »
If sea monkey agrees, he can post on this thread and I will split it for him.... :) :)
Barry

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2009, 03:06:11 »
WOW!!! that stuff is going to make your tug look great. Would agree that an etching class would be a benefit to just about all of us.
VGJQ

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2009, 07:35:28 »
Now that's a very good idea :) :) :) :)
MIKE

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 21:44:43 »
Sorry guys, didn't mean to mislead you but I had help with the etching. I only provided the filmwork for this set. Although after watching a guy going through the process I am keen to give it a go, solo, at a later date.
Meanwhile the hulls have been finished, primed, the imperfections filled and smoothed and the rail capping strips and freeing port grills attached.
Some of the vents have also been put in place.
I gave it 3 coats of final colour so I'll only need to spot spray any nicks or scratches that appear while I'm attaching the deck equipment. Underside and deck are red oxide, hull black. The acute angle on the stern gunwales was fun. I'll paint the rubber fenders and white waterline strip last. Usually the painting is one the easiest task in a build but this one took ages to get right. Cold, damp, windy weather and night sight not what it used to be didn't help either. What I had thought was a good effort at night often didn't look so good in the hard light of morning. Eventually had to paint on weekend mornings so it took a couple of weekends to finally finish it.
Having the hull sprayed with the top coats now also ensures that I treat it very carefully.
Now on to the superstructure.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 21:48:39 »
I'm pretty happy with the brass grills. Just gave them a light buff before painting and no problems with paint adhesion of filling in.

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 22:29:08 »
I'm pretty happy with the brass grills. Just gave them a light buff before painting and no problems with paint adhesion of filling in.
GREAT detail A+ for that .  puffin

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 22:38:06 »
Beautiful work so far...Keep it coming.. :) :)
Barry

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 22:38:40 »
Excellent work, the detailing is first class  :)

Looking forward to seeing some more  ;)

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

Kieran H

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2009, 05:59:59 »
very accurate and clean brass work.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2009, 21:45:31 »
The hull is at the stage where I can now put it aside for a while and begin on the superstructure.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2009, 21:52:44 »
First job is to assemble the framework for the main deck superstructure and bridge tower .This is all 2mm ply so it's quite strong. The tower fits to the main cabin with a tab and slot system but I managed to get them slightly out of alignment so both have been removed. The rear door on the main deck will be hard to get at when the funnels are in place so I've put it in place now.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2009, 22:05:44 »
Framing for the curved front of the fire fighting deck.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2009, 22:10:56 »
Then the frames can be skinned up and primed prior to a couple of sessions of filling, sanding and undercoating.
Still need to sort out the 2/3 size access door on the fire fighting deck. The door fits on a flat section recessed out of the curve of the bulkhead. This deck is not full height in the real thing all of the deck levels in the tower are different heights and none of the deck are parallel. It's basically just a big stairwell to get the bridge.
I'll put the door handles, access hatches and handrails on now but the glazing and frames will be one of the last tasks.

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2009, 00:03:17 »
You have made an excellent job with the hull, it looks fantastic  :) Looking at your construction of the superstructure, it certainly looks to be very strong, and I am sure it will be finished to the excellent standard that you hull is  :)

Keep us all posted on the build please  :)

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2009, 03:11:00 »
Amazing work on the hull. It is almost a shame to put it in the water. The superstructure is coming along nicely too. Looking forward to your next post.

TM
VGJQ