Author Topic: Slipway/launch Ramp for a Tug  (Read 1452 times)

fastfaz

Slipway/launch Ramp for a Tug
« on: October 21, 2014, 03:09:31 »
Hi all,
    I want to build a stand for my next project (Rosegarth, MMM) and I want to do something a bit different, I want to build a stand that looks like the Tug is on a Slipway supported in a smiliar way to when it was launched i.e. sitting on timbers and propped and wedged at the sides. If anyone can help with photos I would greatly appreciate it as I am not having much luck on the internet (being a Dinosaur with Laptops). Thanks everyone.
       Cheers,
               Peter.H.Farrell.
The photo is my Lowgarth Mountfleet models but my own design and build (the kit quality and fit was very poor) I scatch built the superstructure from photos of the Foylegarth and scaled it off the figures. Sails superbly.

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
Re: Slipway/launch Ramp for a Tug
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 10:24:51 »
Hello Peter,

It sounds like you are going to make an interesting stand for your tug.
I can picture your design and it looks impressive when you are out on
the pond and others will check out your superior stand and cradle.

Here is a link to several hundred ships being ready for launch. I am sure
you can extract a few ideas for your needs from these pictures.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ship+launching+ceremonies&espv=2&biw=1444&bih=809&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=g6FGVMGeJsTfmgXjkoHICQ&ved=0CFcQ7Ak#tbm=isch&q=ship+launching&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=--1RveaQadEkEM%253A%3B0nsg5VkbLrGENM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.impactlab.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2010%252F01%252FLaunching-the-Ship-090.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimages.frompo.com%252F2dc7353e4346023aa7001edb147d9086%3B600%3B345

Be sure to post pictures here at the Forum of what you build.

Michael in Anacortes, Washington
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

des

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 00:26:38 »
Hi Peter

Here's a photo of the tug Maydena (ex Kalgan), on slips in Hobart in 2011.  She would have looked very similar on her launching ways in the 1960's.

Also, here's a photo of Bass Tide on slips (ex Bass Shore, now Beka 3) on slips, presumably some place in the northern parts of the UK.

Both boats were built by Adelaide Ship Construction, Port Adelaide (South Australia) in the 1960' or 70's.  Both are still in service, although Beka 3 is currently laid up in Cuxhaven, Germany.

Enjoy.

Des.

fastfaz

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 07:40:59 »
Hi again guys,
     Thanks for the replies most helpful, I will keep you posted (sorry about the pun).
              Cheers,
                   Peter.
The photo is my Lowgarth Mountfleet models but my own design and build (the kit quality and fit was very poor) I scatch built the superstructure from photos of the Foylegarth and scaled it off the figures. Sails superbly.