Author Topic: Sun XX1 build by Fastfaz  (Read 18488 times)

fastfaz

Sun XX1 build by Fastfaz
« on: October 28, 2014, 06:36:40 »
     Hi all,
           This is the start of my next Tug a Sun XX1 bought as a started kit with some parts built. I did not take any photo's of the tug prior to starting so apologies for that. Stage 1 I stripped out the hull fitted a new steering linkage and attempted to straighten out the Skeg with P38 and lots of patience (Skeg was at an angle not straight) photo 1. I then fibreglassed another layer inside the hull as it was rather flimsy next was the deck support and framework to carry the new deck. These are some of the stage photo's I will post more as work progresses.
    Cheers,
        Peter.
Keep on Tugging/

The photo is my Lowgarth Mountfleet models but my own design and build (the kit quality and fit was very poor) I scatch built the superstructure from photos of the Foylegarth and scaled it off the figures. Sails superbly.

fastfaz

Re: Sun XX1 build by Fastfaz
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 08:34:05 »
Hi all,
     More progress (I did start some weeks ago) deck now in place and motor etc, started the superstructure, quite tricky as deck has a camber and slopes. I'll keep posting photos as work progresses.
     Cheers,
           Peter.
The photo is my Lowgarth Mountfleet models but my own design and build (the kit quality and fit was very poor) I scatch built the superstructure from photos of the Foylegarth and scaled it off the figures. Sails superbly.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 08:44:51 »
 ^-^  Looking good so far Peter. ;) ;)
Tugs are for life      George B

fastfaz

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 09:06:28 »
Hi George,
      Thanks for that, I'll be rather busy for months as I collected my "Rosegarth" MMM hull at Blackpool and having sold a half built Corvette went mad and boght a Tid hull. Still keeps me out of the pub.
       Cheers,
           Peter.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 14:09:35 »
Hi peter   I have a set of builders G A Plans for the XXI,  you can borrow them and copy them if you want to, but I would like them back,   Geo

fastfaz

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 00:53:54 »
Hi George,
      Thanks for your kind offer the plans that came with the hull are "Kingston mouldings" and frankly I'm not impressed. However with he help of photos from the internet I think I have it cracked, if I have any problems I will contact you for advice. Thanks again.
      Cheers,
          Peter, :)

fastfaz

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 06:34:27 »
Hi all,
    More progress this is the primer coat to the deck and further work on the superstructure and quarterdeck. There is a moral to the tale as in do not leave painted resin cast hatches in thinners overnight they melt! Ah well you live and learn, I had to make some new ones from styrene card. Progress is a bit slower now due to temperature in my shed (no mains electricity) but getting there.
     Cheers,
         Peter.

fastfaz

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 06:40:12 »
 ^-^
   The deck now painted ready for satin coat varnish and hatches in place ready to drill out for the portholes, starting to take shape.
      Cheers,
             Peter. :)

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 08:00:44 »
 ^-^  Peter she is looking good matey well done.   Geo

fastfaz

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 08:37:49 »
  Hi George,
       Thanks for that I'm getting there now and more pics early next week. Great idea of yours with the fibre glass resin coat on the inside of the hull looks good in the photos.
      Cheers,
         Peter. :)

fastfaz

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 12:23:20 »
 ^-^
    A little more progress, perhaps I am too fussy but hey that's no bad thing.
           Cheers,
               Peter

fastfaz

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 09:00:29 »
Hi all,
     A little more progress, the lovely task of fitting the bulwark rails. No two are the exactly the same due to the deck camber and curves but done now, phew!
      Cheers,
          Peter.

fastfaz

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 08:19:04 »
 ^-^
      Hello guys, a little more progress with the handrails now made and ready for paint and the second stage of the wheelhouse and funnel box underway. Soon be time for some painting.
       Cheers,
             Peter.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 13:51:22 »
Good progress. The speed that you guys work at puts me to shame.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 08:03:37 »
Looking good Peter :)