Author Topic: Another old Thames tug The SUN  (Read 4842 times)

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Another old Thames tug The SUN
« on: October 31, 2014, 12:07:43 »
 ^-^  again, this time it is a model of a very old Thames tug called SUN I am going to build her as she was originally built with a canvas covered wheel box and lowering mast and funnel.I will be building her at 1/24th scale  i.e. half inch to the foot
The first job was to do some drawings of her from photographs and to lay out some hull lines, I then cut all the frames and keel from thick card and assembled them onto a building board to ensure that all the lines were fair and true.
Tugs are for life      George B

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: Another old Thames tug The SUN
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 12:12:59 »
Once I was happy with the lines  they were transferred to 9mm marine ply and cut out quite a long job.  after sanding and cleaning up the frames were set up on the building board and the keel set in and glued in place.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 12:14:33 »
Ooops  forgot a picture oh the real one

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 12:21:27 »
Next I have started on the planking of the hull. for this I am using 3mm x 10mm lime wood strip, it is very expensive   but really flexible and easy to use,  I am using thick superglue and a small electric nail gun to fix the planking to the frames, because they only come in 1 meter lengths I have to join them to get a longer run, to do this I use a doubler between two frames which is very strong.
this is as far as I have got so far, more to follow as the build progresses.    Geo
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 12:15:10 by model tugman »

fastfaz

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 12:39:34 »
   Hi George,
        I am really impressed and cannot wait to see the end result, I'm getting there with my Sun XX1 but the challenges keep coming as the plan details and sections through leave a lot to be desired. The framing and planking reminds me of the laminated beams and trusses that the firm I served my apprenticeship with used to make, they have long gone into the big factory in the sky. Keep up the good work and the posts.
       Cheers,
          Peter.
   Keep on tugging.
The photo is my Lowgarth Mountfleet models but my own design and build (the kit quality and fit was very poor) I scatch built the superstructure from photos of the Foylegarth and scaled it off the figures. Sails superbly.

fastfaz

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 12:44:48 »
  Hi again George,
      Ive just been looking at your Sun XV11 build and (novice!) need to ask the question is that car body filler sealing the hull then sanded down to the nice finish. Nice bit of work.
        Cheers,
             Peter.
The photo is my Lowgarth Mountfleet models but my own design and build (the kit quality and fit was very poor) I scatch built the superstructure from photos of the Foylegarth and scaled it off the figures. Sails superbly.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 14:06:37 »
 ^-^  Peter, yes what I do after finishing the planking is to give the outside of the hull a THIN coat od body filler (the easy sand type ) just to fill and gaps and dips , then sand it by hand to get it fairly smooth, then the hull is removed from the building board and the complete inside given two ot three coats of fibre glass resin, once dry this really stiffens everything and the outside can then be filled and sanded proper,    Ha Ha and I retired from tugging 6 years ago.   Geo
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 14:13:41 by model tugman »

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 07:19:24 »
Well the hull planking is now finished and she is off of the building board, the shaft and prop are just pushed in for effect at the moment.

The next job is a messy one the first coat of filler on the outside ,then sand it down and if there are no gaps the inside can have a couple of coats of finishing resin before the hull is filled and sanded proper.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 12:15:57 by model tugman »

fastfaz

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 13:21:07 »
Hi George,
    My word you must have some patience! seeing the build progress reminds me of my time repairing fibreglass fairings on my race motorbikes (its much easier if you don't fall off). Keep the pic's coming.
       Cheers,
           Peter.   cool

Tiny69

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 23:49:58 »
Hi George,

Do you place fibre glass matting on the inside between each frame or just add the fibre glass resin?

I place matting between the frames on the VIC 32 to add even more strength to the hull.

Tiny

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 02:25:27 »
 ^-^  I used to use matting on the inside many years ago, but it was such a messy job that i tried it without and found that two or three coats of resin brushed on was as strong ,i have boats that I built over 20 years ago with just resin inside and they have never leaked or cracked, so i don't use it now, I just give the outside a little as possible of filler paste to seal it then resin the insides,
and in most cases plate the outsides with 100gsm paper using water resistant PVA and lots of paint

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 09:27:17 »
Nice progress George!

High time I got building something myself..........
"Suds"

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 08:05:20 »
A bit more progress with the SUN, the outside has had two thin  layers of filler so far and they have been sanded down, and the inside has had three coats of finishing resin, this gives it a lovely finish inside the hull all the planking shows nicely, and the deck has been cut from 3mm ply in two pieces and has been glued and nailed on.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 11:56:44 »
 ^-^ More progress after a busy couple of days, the deeck is fitted,and the main casing and engine room top roughed oy along with the lowering funnel which has to be cut to final length.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 09:25:34 »
 ^-^ more done to the Sun  the bulwarks are now all fitted and the rudder made