Author Topic: Another old Thames tug The SUN  (Read 5506 times)

fastfaz

Re: Another old Thames tug The SUN
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 01:16:12 »
Hi George,
      Looking good nice work, that's some rudder and propeller. Keep it going.
         Cheers,
               Peter. :)
The photo is my Lowgarth Mountfleet models but my own design and build (the kit quality and fit was very poor) I scatch built the superstructure from photos of the Foylegarth and scaled it off the figures. Sails superbly.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 07:01:59 »
Thanks Peter, I have got a little more done today, the after cabin top and coamings are made and the steering servo table underneath is also fitted, as well as the fore cabin top and mast tabernacle, and the deck planking overlays are also marked out.
Tugs are for life      George B

fastfaz

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 08:43:31 »
Hi George,
     I am very impressed with these photos, I would not have thought of having a deck overlay (the Lowgarth is the first boat I have built) it looks great! On my Sun XX1 I made the deck from styrene sheet then made a very thin styrene sheet set out in panels with riveted edges, I did this by setting it all out and then rounded off the end of a panel pin punch and spent a long time punching in the rivets from under the sheet this was then glued to the first deck with the rivet side upwards. Not sure what the purists will think but its my boat and I like the look, what do you think?
      Cheers,
         eter.
The photo is my Lowgarth Mountfleet models but my own design and build (the kit quality and fit was very poor) I scatch built the superstructure from photos of the Foylegarth and scaled it off the figures. Sails superbly.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 11:40:38 »
hi Peter . the  XIX. to the XXII did have a plain steel deck aft and their decks were painted gloss black,the main casings were also. gloss painted in fact the final coat of top coat was mixed 50/50 paint and varnish to make the gloss last longer.
They also had wooden deck cladding over the accommodation forward.the engine room access hatch was sliding wooden hatch also highly shiny. Sun tugs always looked and indeed were kept pristine,oh and the band in the funell is orange not red as some people paint them, and the casing colour used was dark buff,the boat deck was red oxide gloss.   she is looking good matey.
I Have attached an old colour chart and a coloured photo of a sun tug unfortunately it is an older one but the colours are the same,  hope they may be of some use. and three that I made earlier.    Geo
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 11:58:46 by model tugman »

fastfaz

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 12:36:34 »
Hi George,
    Thanks for your reply your builds are absolutely brilliant! I really value your help and advice, just hope I can get my SunXX1 somewhere near as good as the tugs you have built but hey the Lowgarth was my first attempt and she sails very well so I'll keep going and hopefully improve. I've been making the wheelhouse today and having to use the grey matter as the supposedly scale drawing is as genuine as a Mcdonalds beefburger. I will get there.
     Cheers,
           Peter.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 10:25:21 »
I have started putting some undercoat on her and I have also plated one side of the hull

fastfaz

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 12:55:40 »
Hi George,
    She's really coming on, I like the wooden top to the wheelhouse and the lifeboats did you make them or are the kit form? I also need to pick your brain as to what to put on the open upper wheelhouse on the Sun XX1 does she have a binnacle,telegraph, compass searchlight. There is zero information on the allegedly scale drawing. I had fun and games with the wheelhouse, cut everything to size then checked the drawing and the plan of the deck has different sizes to the elevation of the wheelhouse, so it was revert to me and my own measurements and eye. Keep the pics coming great work.
     Cheers,

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 10:48:50 »
 ^-^ A little more done now, the hull is plated and painted and there is more colour on the top

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2014, 08:41:43 »
A bit more detailing added now and she is beggining to look more like a tug.   Geo

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2014, 08:43:06 »
 ^-^  a couple more  ;)

Tiny69

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2014, 12:12:02 »
I like the folding funnel.

Tiny

fastfaz

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2014, 12:49:30 »
Hi George,
      Looking good, nice detailing. Keep the pics coming, I'll be posting latest work on the Sun XX1 later this week (been banging my head doing the brass tube masts).
       Cheers,

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 05:58:54 »
Well here she is finished ready in time to clear out the workshop and convert it into the Christmas bar He He.
no more building now until the New Year  So A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.
All the very best   George.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 06:00:12 »
Just a couple more.  Geo ;)

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2014, 07:59:33 »
Another christmas 'cracker' Geo!!

All the best to you and yours, see you in the New Year.
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!
IF IT DONT FLOAT...TOW IT UNTIL IT DOES!!!!