Author Topic: The Seahunter- the big refit begins....  (Read 6802 times)

bandk

The Seahunter- the big refit begins....
« on: November 05, 2014, 07:23:31 »
First of all I should say this rebuild is also on another forum, but each time I update that I'll post it here as well.

The Wimpey Seahunter was built in 1982 at Appledore UK. The model was drawn to 1/65th scale by Dave Metcalf and a grp hull was offered for sale by ABCO. I was generously presented with two of them as a leaving gift from a workplace in 1990. Only one remains and in very sorry state, this is going to get a full refit.

As the original is now 32 years old I looked around the internet for anything that looked more modern but had the same hull design. I found what I was looking for, a boat built for Havila but on long term contract in the Far east to POSH, the POSH Venture. I have managed to source basic plans for the Venture but along with the many photo's on the internet  I should turn out a reasonable facsimile.

So that's the background here's a couple of pictures,

The first is the Med Sette ex Wimpey Seahunter, this went into dry dock for a rebuild several years ago and is still there (Italy) The second is the POSH Venture, as you can see apart from superstructure they are very similar.

bandk

Re: The Seahunter- the big refit begins....
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 07:26:40 »
So all the old running gear was pulled from the hull and deck supports and ribs pulled out, you will see there's not much room on my new work bench, at least for this 42 inch hull.

bandk

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 07:29:04 »
First of all after the stripping work was done, I cut out the old moulded in cable roller on the stern, it never looked right. I boxed in the inner stern and replaced it with a roller that revolves.  The stern deck will if I can figure out the pivots and other logistics be getting working sharks jaws and pop up towing pins.

bandk

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 07:33:12 »
Now on to hull changes, I am currently glassing in two new prop shafts, and when they arrive new Kort nozzles and props. In the meantime I had salvaged from another of my old boats two tunnel thrusters, I have put one in the bow and one in the stern, technically it should be 2 and 1, but I didn't have three!

bandk

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 07:38:45 »
So here are two photos of them now in the hull with epoxy filler around them, The epoxy will be coated on the inner hull with grp resin and some glass cloth to make them super watertight, but to be honest it is overkill now that the epoxy has set.

The last photo is the original boats after dragging them out of storage after thirty years! As you can see I have nothing to lose from doing a rebuild.

So thats all for now, I'll try not to leave it too long before updating.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 09:27:14 by bandk »

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 09:20:34 »
A large project Bandk but you will end up with a fine looking big tug. Thank you
for the pictures, I can see the work well that is before you.

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

bandk

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 10:42:17 »
A couple more photo's of work over the weekend.
 The first two are the bow and stern thrusters now epoxied in to the hull and then grp resin and tissue over the epoxy putty.

bandk

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 10:48:38 »
My propshafts finally arrived so they were 'glassed in as well. They have been left purposely short so that a length of the actual shaft is on show, just like the real craft. I am re-using the shafts from the old model as the tubes are 8inches but a 14inch shaft is required to do this. The end of the shaft can be seen where it terminates at the Kort nozzle.

bandk

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 10:51:20 »
The last two show the beginnings of the deck support framework, I'll carry on building this during the coming week. The idea is that once the running gear is completely installed, I can just drop the framework in and epoxy it to the grp hull to give a sturdy support both for the decks and the grp hull itself.

bandk

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 03:31:06 »
Well I can't believe its been two weeks since my last update! This is how far I have progressed up to now. The first photo is the support framework almost completed and dropped into the hull to show how it sits. it can't be bonded in yet because I have rudder connections etc to sort out first.

The Kort nozzles arrived and the next photo shows the first one set in place ready for atatching to the hull. I slipped a propshaft into the tube extended it to its propellor location and then slipped a thick card disk over it the same diameter as the prop. This held it in the correct location allowing me to attach it to the hull.

bandk

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 03:44:54 »
Next up is a photo of them both now bonded to the hull. I filled in around them with Isopon P38, this is car body filler or bondo as its known in the U.S.A. Once that had set I then covered it in a layer of fine glass tissue and resin. P38 although sets up hard remains a soft material and prone to chipping and flaking when in thick layers. On top of the glass tissue once that had set I used Squadron White, this is a very fine cellulose based filler used by the plastic modelling fraternity. Then it was sanded down.  Obviously it will need more filler but until it has a covering of primer paint I can't truly see all the tiny dings that remain.

Lastly the original model had two plain brass plate rudders with no shaping. I am reusing them but have cut them about. I clad the brass on both sides with 2mm plywood. Then gave them an aero curve. Then the trailing edge was cut off 8mm inwards, remounted on upper and lower 'limbs' this gave the look of a Becker rudder with its adjustable trailing flap. I 'painted' them both with a coating of grp resing left over from the Kort nozzle mounts. Hoping to hide the wood grain and make them look more like sheet metal. These have been sanded and sprayed with primer, as you can see they still need more filler, the woodgrain hasn't quiet dissapeared.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 03:47:09 by bandk »

bandk

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 11:27:57 »
A couple of photo updates. The rudders are complete and also fastened into the hull. The bottoms were secured with brass bearing tubes that were bonded to the lower edge of the Kort nozzles. These were then shrouded in timber and shaped, before covering with body filler to give a smooth appearance. These two photo's are before and after with the body filler.

Once this had been shaped any uneven spots were filled with Squadron white, a very fine filler used by the plastic kit modellers.

bandk

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 11:34:33 »
Once I was happy that I had got them reasonably ok I gave them a light coat of red primer. This was decanted from a large spray can into the cup of my airbrush, spraying from the large can would have covered too great an area. This covering allowed me to see where I still needed some more primer.

You will notice from these photo's that I have also added to the top of the Kort nozzles the skegs that woul carry the swivelling joint of the Becker rudder.

I'm not sure where I will progress next. I want to complete the bearing housings for the ends of the propshafts, however over here in Spain I can't get hold of brass tubing easily, not even from model shops which only seem to cater for helicopters and rc cars! So I will be collecting some of that in the UK when I return home for Xmas.

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 13:16:14 »
Very good Bandk. . .you are coming along will. Your pictures has given me lots of new
ideas for my tug building. It looks like you have just dived in head first and come out
enjoying the building work. Your tug is going to be a perfect performer on the pond.
I especially like the stern bow thruster work. Keep the pictures coming. . .

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 15:43:38 »
bandk, are they Mobile Marine kort nozzles ?

You're going pretty fast !

I'm stalling a bit on my projects ...  ???