Author Topic: The Seahunter- the big refit begins....  (Read 6782 times)

bandk

Re: The Seahunter- the big refit begins....
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 09:56:47 »
Very good Bandk. . .you are coming along will. Your pictures has given me lots of new
ideas for my tug building. It looks like you have just dived in head first and come out
enjoying the building work. Your tug is going to be a perfect performer on the pond.
I especially like the stern bow thruster work. Keep the pictures coming. . .

Michael

It's always been my philosophy Michael. Dive in and confront problems as they arise. There is still planning involved though to make sure those problems remain small instead of growing!

bandk, are they Mobile Marine kort nozzles ?

You're going pretty fast !

I'm stalling a bit on my projects ...  ???

Yep mobile marine kort nozzles calimero. It may seem like I'm going fast but as I am retired I can spend as long as I want each day, unless of course my wife has something else planned for me! I am keeping an excel sheet of time spent, how much money I have spent on parts and tools etc....

Time from mid october to present is 35 hours and 32 minutes
Money spent since the same time 147.32

bandk

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 13:36:50 »
No update just a notice.

I've not done much of late basically because as I mentioned, I am building this in Spain and getting supplies locally is impossible. So everything I need to continue is at my home in the UK.

This means that major work on the build is on hold until I return to Spain after xmas, so in reality no more news until maybe mid january. So for anyone following this, it is not forgotten, just holidays have gotten in the way, back soon.

bandk

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 03:40:41 »
Time for an update but not much to add at the moment, a lot of things have conspired to hold thing up.

However first things first. The prop tubes are now completed and after waiting 27 days for a parcel to get to Spain from Cornwall! the propellors are now in as well. The 60mm props are not Kort style, these two 174 profile ones cost 42 the Kort ones were over double that.

bandk

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 03:44:28 »
Some of the asf superstructure has had to be built out of sequence, the lower and upper forecastle decks needed to be in place to make good the edge of the hull sides. This meant part of the winch house etc had to be cut and pre-installed.

For strength this is 1.5mm ply which is then clad with plasticard to make the surface smooth like steel.

bandk

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 03:51:02 »
Of course because the rear bulkead wall has to be in place as well, this also means the fabrication of the two tugger winches, these were built up from plasticard with the drum made from a piece of 20mm dowel. I've had to build these now because once the bulkhead is in place there will be no further access to these. The second photo shows the bulkhead resting in place but not attached, you can see just how much of the finished winch is actually on view!

The coaming has been built ready to accept the main superstructure and the upper forecastle deck plated and some detailing added

bandk

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 03:55:42 »
Lastly the hull. The work deck is finished, complete with 344 timber planks, all 33mm long. The steel decking is in plasticard still waiting for paint.

The hull itself is shown in its second coat of primer. It was first sprayed, to show dings and anything else that needed filler. The filler was applied and rubbed down. The second coat of primer applied. I'm fairly happy with this, so a rub over with 800 grit paper and the final coat can be applied before the topcoat of dark green is added.

Thats it for now.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 03:59:40 by bandk »

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 05:21:11 »
Coming along nicely. Excellent work. Shame the winches won't be visible once they are installed.
VGJQ

bandk

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 03:41:08 »
Well its been an interesting couple of weeks and I have got a lot done, overcoming material supply problems along the way. You would not believe the trouble to get a can of spray primer in Spain- no car accessory shops to speak of, I've driven 0ver 300km looking for a place that sells it!

So I've been detailing before the final primer goes on. I've made up watertight doors and 'T' beams out of plasticard, these details will be difficult to see when completed but did need to be added.

bandk

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 03:44:07 »
Next up was some primer to see where filler was required. I also added mushroom vents to the focsl deck, hawse pipes for the anchor chain and the first bollards.

bandk

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 03:47:56 »
The next three photo's are the starboard bulwark on the workdeck, I cut these out of styrene sheet and glued the capping rail to the top edge, the second photo here shows it resting in place before being bonded to the deck. The last is with it bonded to the deck and its support rails added.

bandk

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 03:49:58 »
Then the final two for now, is both rails in place and a couple coats of primer sprayed on.

Hopefully I'll get the top coat sprayed this weekend and post those photo's in the coming week.

bandk

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 11:55:17 »
Without further ado here are the colour photo's, paint finished today, now I'll leave it a few days before putting on the satin clearcoat.

bandk

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 11:57:43 »
The large lettering was donated by a member on another site. Names were made with Letraset and hull markings from BECC.

bandk

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2015, 11:59:02 »

bandk

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 12:01:46 »
The rescue zone markings were masked up and sprayed with my airbrush