Author Topic: tug book  (Read 1974 times)

tug-arlyn-nelson

tug book
« on: November 13, 2014, 23:48:09 »
My dad had a book years ago that we cannot find. It was a fairly small book, about mostly British rescue tugs and I remember seeing pictures of Assurance, Envoy and Bustler class tugs in it.  I cannot remember the name or author(s).  Any ideas? It would have been printed probably in the late 40's or early 50's I would guess. Thanks!!

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
Re: tug book
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 05:08:43 »
Could it have been one of the Ian Allan series of books. They did a series called 'Warships of World War II' part five of which was Auxiliary Support Vessels. Besides tugs this book listed depot ships, boom vessels etc but did carry pics of the classes you mention? The books were certainly around in the 1950.s The authors were H T Lenton and J J Colledge.
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!
IF IT DONT FLOAT...TOW IT UNTIL IT DOES!!!!

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 08:59:33 »
That's a start!  I only remember the tugs in the book, but I will look into this one. Thanks a lot!!!

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 09:08:18 »
heres a couple of typical pages from the book which might help you decide if it is the one or not.

Also the front cover although I think this could have varied colour-wise with different editions
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 09:13:43 by thamestug »
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!
IF IT DONT FLOAT...TOW IT UNTIL IT DOES!!!!

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 09:47:30 »
Boy, I am not sure, its been so long since I have seen the book, I thought my brother had it, but he cant even remember we had the book. I see some copies here and there, but all are paperback from the early 60's, and I had memory of my dads copy being hardbound.   It looks like a neat book either way, thanks again!

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 13:51:53 »
I ordered and received the tug book above.  Not sure its the same one my dad had, but it is a neat book with lots of tug info.  In searching around however I found another similar book in the ABC series of Ian Allan, by author H M Le Fleming called  BRITISH TUGS.  Also of the ABC series.  So now I can wait for it to arrive as well!  You gotta love the internet for finding stuff! :)

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 04:53:45 »
If you are looking for used or out of print books the Advanced Book Exchange is a great site:

http://www.abebooks.com/?cm_mmc=msn-_-US_AbeBooks_Brand-_-Top+Brand-_-abe

VGJQ

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 08:27:12 »
Thanks or that!  Actually that's where I found the second book I mentioned.  Another great place to start is bookfinder.com, it searches all over the world for titles. I recently found a very rare book thru them.