Author Topic: Lighting. How often do you use it.  (Read 2726 times)

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
Lighting. How often do you use it.
« on: November 15, 2014, 21:33:13 »
Curious as to how many boaters go to the trouble of wiring in lighting their boats and actually do take them out in the dark.  I got on the band waggon a few years back and lit up a few boats.  Have yet to do any night sailing, and they don't show up very well in the daylight.  Would be interested to know how many are in the same boat.

Tiny69

Re: Lighting. How often do you use it.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 00:14:12 »
I have always fitted working lights to my models, they are part of making a scale model. I now use LED's for the main navigation lights as they can be seen in the daylight.  I have sailed a number of times at dusk and the lighting really does change the appearance of a model on the water.

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 08:05:51 »
No later than last Sunday.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFVkuq1UOto" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFVkuq1UOto</a>

Models look livelier with their lights on.

des

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 13:27:52 »
On the same theme, how many modellers go to the trouble of "screening" their lights so they are only visible through the prescribed arcs?  Or do you leave them as "all-round" lights?

Des.

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 13:55:58 »
I'm almost there.

On my springer, I 3D printed "caps" or reflectors to restrict visibility to the right sectors. Mast head "reflector" is 135 (360-225), side light caps are 247.5 (360-112.5) and stern light is 225 (360- 135).

Each LED has a translucent plastic lens (small section of plastic tubing) and I actually end up with wider angles ... Side lights must be closer to 160, stern light is actually more like 180 if not 200. Mast head with its rear 135 "reflector" probably covers 290 ....

Anyway I'm printing a new wheelhouse. Side lights will be all-round but with brackets. I'll print "caps" with smaller angles for the masthead and stern light.

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 14:21:47 »
Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not against it.  As mentioned, I have lit a number of boats, but have yet to use any for night sailing.  You are really getting into this lighting  Cal.

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 15:33:44 »
I assume winters can be pretty cool in BC but here I think we'll be able to sail trough the winter. And at 5 or 5:30 in the afternoon it's almost dark and lights come along nicely.

CGAux26

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 15:55:23 »
Just about never.  I have built 3 boats, one with navlights, just for the learning experience.  Lotsa work for something I don't use.
Dave