Author Topic: 3D Printed Microspringer  (Read 11827 times)

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
3D Printed Microspringer
« on: November 24, 2014, 06:48:49 »
Hi,

When I got my springer kit that was only supposed to be a side-project while working on the Odin 1:25 kit.
Although a very basic boat, I really enjoy sailing here. Great recovery boat.

In decided to make a smaller one. It would be fully 3D printed. A springer hull is also very easy to model, my CAD "skills" being what they are.

General view

General view

Hull interior view - With Hextronix 1700kv BL motor 3D model

Side view

Side view (X-Ray)

Top view

Shape in front of the rudder is not a Kort nozzle, just a basic 3D cylinder used as a placeholder for the propeller (including prop hub and jam nut, hence the size).

More info on my site, on the Microspringer page.

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
Re: 3D Printed Microspringer
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 06:56:03 »
2014-11-20 First hull prototype was printed on my Ultimaker 2 3D printer. I used ABS from Ultimaker.

Print settings in Cura (Ultimaker's slicing software) were as follows:

Layer height: 0.15mm
Shell thickness: 0.8mm
Bottom/Top thickness: 0.6mm
Fill density: 100%
Print speed: 80mm/s
Support type: Touching build plate
Platform adhesion type:Brim
Retraction:On

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNJsu8K0RkI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNJsu8K0RkI</a>

Printing took around 12 hours. When designing around the 20mm prop I found the hull to be too bulky. I wanted something smaller. And although you enter all the dimensions I looks big on screen as you spend most of your time zooming in to work on details.

Now that I had it in my hand it felt just right. Smaller than I thought. And making it any smaller would probably make it even more challenging in terms of running gear.

I've designed it like a tank with 3.3mm walls. It is HEAVY. And ABS is heavier than water (plywood on the other hand is lighter, giving extra buoyancy).

I'll have to adjust a few things: diameter of the motor mount holes, of the stuffing tube channel, .... But overall it turned out quite well.

Hull was brushed with acetone so that the surface would melt and seal (3D prints aren't always watertight).

Hull spent one night in my kitchen sink and there were no leaks. I'll have to weight the hull before/after to make sure there was no water "soaked in" but I think the acetone did a good job. Plus hull will be painted anyway.

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 06:59:45 »
Build log 2014-11-23 : Hydrodynamic testing

I took the prototype hull to the pond. With the 1700kv brushless motor installed I only had to add an extra 120g of lead to trim the hull. Which means I'm in trouble.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT9Q3MWFUZ8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT9Q3MWFUZ8</a>

Overall it went pretty well. But the hull is obviously too heavy. I need to make the walls and bottom thinner. I may also widen the hull a little bit to get extra internal volume (= buoyancy). Superstructure and everything above deck will have to be very light.

With little freeboard and no deck (just some tape at the front to prevent splashes from getting into the hull) what was bound to happen happened : it sank. At some point I increased speed and looked elsewhere for a second. I turn my head back and see the white hull 3 or 4 centimeters underwater. Oops ! I quickly headed back to port with the ABS hull sinking deeper and deeper.

Our pond isn't really a blue lagoon and you can't see past 40cm. And there are submerged tree branches and stuff. But I managed to pull the hull to the surface and salvage it.

Anyway, back to the computer to fix the hull. And I'm waiting for electronics (RX, ESC) from HobbyKing ...

mengam

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 12:59:56 »
Hello Calimero

Quite a pity to use this hi-tech to build a simple floating shoes box   :)

A+ Mengam

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 13:23:55 »
Ha ha ! You know my fondness for springers !

The real job for my 3D printer (and before that all the 3D modelling) will be the pseudo-Parat. :-X
Will probably also involve some CNC cutting.

But next week end is going to be work on the Odin. I have that damn wheelhouse to finish (more or less). And somehow finish my prototype cart to move her around.

mengam

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 14:33:01 »
Hun hun then with your Odin and/or pseudo Parat one time you'll have to program your car GPS to find the road to Porz Bihan  ;)

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 15:03:50 »
Build log 2014-12-07 : Improved hull, RC equipment

Quick update: redesigned hull was printed a couple days ago. All RC equipment was fitted.

Hull and deck (Rev.31) - 3D model of what was printed

Superstructure design - More design required; getting closer

Side view - Redesigned/strong motor mount

3D printed hull with RC equipment - Tests in bathtub were promising

Underside - 3D printed push knees and rudder arm

Deck and push knees - Mock installation

All the electronics work great. First propulsion tests in bathtub are promising.

Weight so far, ready to run (but no wheelhouse/superstructure) is 149g. That only 23g more than the weight of the previous hull only (126g). The diet was brutal.  :D

mengam

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 07:15:49 »
So, what's up with the sea trials ?  ;D

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 07:31:21 »
This weekend if weather permits. Might do the bollard pull tests with the Sequana too.

I have to print and install couple bollards on deck before deck is glued to hull.

I think I'll have a twin motor version ready for our next towing day in Marigny. More than enough power to tow your 4-meter-long Spirit of Archimedes !  :D

mengam

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 08:03:51 »
with Beep Beep aboard the T4T And me sailing the "crotte de nez " ?

ChrisE

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 10:49:03 »
This weekend if weather permits. Might do the bollard pull tests with the Sequana too........................  :D

Looking forward to these results.

Good to see Sequana with a heavy load>  :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 10:53:24 by ChrisE »

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 18:14:12 »
Log 2014-12-13 : Wheelhouse and bollards

Basic wheelhouse -

Deck with bollards - Bollards are strenghened with 1mm piano wire

Deck (underside) - Piano wire will get a dab of methyl-methacrylate glue

Wheelhouse was printed. Still at a very early stage.
Bollards were printed and installed, with extra 1mm piano wire to stiffen/strengthen them. Next up: gluing the deck in place. And then off to the pond.

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 02:31:02 »
Build log 2014-12-17 : Locking tabs

No big progress. Simple locking tabs were printed and "acetone-welded" to the main hatch/wheelhouse floor in order to lock the hole superstructure to hatch coaming.

Locking tabs - Bow end first

Locking tabs - Locks at the stern

Tabs installed - Tabs acetone-welded in place

Wheelhouse secured - Snaps right in place

Those tabs work surprisingly well (first attempt!) and positively lock the main hatch in place while still keeping everything easily (no tools) removable to change the battery.

Push knees were also "welded" in place.

fastfaz

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 08:26:08 »
Hi,
    Had a look at your post, the mind boggles! Don't suppose you know the way to Jurassic Park I think I'm lost and need to get back. Technology its like Star wars wow.
     Cheers,
           Peter.
The photo is my Lowgarth Mountfleet models but my own design and build (the kit quality and fit was very poor) I scatch built the superstructure from photos of the Foylegarth and scaled it off the figures. Sails superbly.

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 04:22:02 »
Now that the forum is back up & running a quick update on my Microspringer.

Build log 2014-12-30 : Handrails, paint & fenders

Truckable tug - Inspiration for the color scheme

Shabby paint job - TX in the background for scale

Fenders - 3mm rubber cord all round - Tyre inner tube on push-knees

Handrails - 1.00 and 1.50mm brass wire

LEDs are powered from a single CR2032 battery. All four LEDs (combined) draw 9mA thanks to 120ohm resistors. Should get a few hours of run time off a single battery.

Sits right on her waterline once everything is installed. First trials tomorrow pending weather.